It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YF-12 video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Get out your skinny ties and checkered pants, because it is the 1960's. Bonus points if you have a round faced oscilloscope.

This is vintage NASA/Lockheed video of the YF-12. Some bits of this video were things I was unaware of. For instance, they built a stainless steel oven the shape of the YF-12 to heat the plane for testing. The fuel was used as a heat sink. This is done in some modern aircraft, but I don't know if the Blackbirds were the first to do this.

Either the F-22 or F-35 has it's bingo limit set by the need for heat sinking rather than just running out of fuel.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Excellent find Gariac, I had no idea about that NASA operated one of the YF-12's wired like a pinball machine to develop the comprehensive high mach analytic tools used by the modern aerospace industry.

That is a really neat variation of the A-12 planform. The folding ventral fin looks similar to the XF8U-3, I wonder if the concepts developed separately or if there was some sharing of data between the Chance Vought and Lockheed?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

This is part two.

Though the author thinks this film is circa 1970, I don't think they XB-70 would have been included in the film since the fatal crash was in 1966. Just a guess on my part.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think if I had to choose between a F-22 or YF-12 to intercept me, YF-12 would be the last choice. That thing is just badass!

Here are some close up pics.

www.primeportal.net...

new topics

top topics

join