It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian Necropolis at Umm el-Qaab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Considered one of the most important archaeological necropolis’ of Ancient Egypt but little known outside of Egyptology, the sacred site ofUmm el-Qa'ab, is located near the ruins of Abydos

The map below shows the location of the necropolis in relation to the more famous Abydos

The scene today

A detail and location of the major burials

The site contains the burials of pre-dynastic kings or nobles

U-J, Serket I sometimes called teh Scorpion King, Iry-Hor and Ka

Iry-Hor the oldest attested ruler of Egypt known by name

Ka Pharaoh of Thinis

There are also nine 1st dynasty tombs and two 2nd dynasty tombs which will be specifally addressed in the next post - now to more general items

Sacrifice was part of the epitaphic rituals of the first dynasty. The sacrificed, such as servant and asses, were expected to assist the pharaoh in the afterlife. The tomb of Djer is associated with the burials of 338 individuals thought to have been sacrificed. The Djer's courtiers were smothered and their tombs all closed at the same time. This practice ended with the conclusion of the dynasty, with the idea of shabtis taking the place of the sacrifices to aid the pharaohs in the afterlife

The tombs of Umm el-Qaab

The tombs themselves

Images of items found in the tombs, Images of items found in the tombs

DAI, German Archaeological Institute The DAI, German Archaeological Institute has been working at the site for 40 years

The site was one of pilgrimage for thousands of years for ancient Egyptians and the most common offerings came in redware pottery

There are acres of these sherds often to the depth of 4 meters

Book on the necropolis books.google.com...=onepage&q=Umm %20el-Qa'ab&f=false

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

The first dynasty of Egypt

Narmer

Aha

Djer

Djet

Merneith

Den

Anedjib

Semerkhet

Qa'a
edit on 21/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

There are also two second dynasty tombs at Umm El-Qaab

Peribsen

Khasekhemny

His tomb is the most massive at the site

This tomb was on a massive scale, with several interconnecting mud-brick chambers, and the actual burial chamber being constructed of dressed limestone blocks. When excavated by Petrie in 1901 it contained a scepter made from sard and banded with gold, limestone vases with golden covers, and a ewer and basin of bronze

It is in his tomb that we start to see the scaling up of tombs - that would end in the pyramid age and the later faint echo of the rock cut tombs

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

This one is interesting...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Awesome!

Before the dynastic rule of Egypt -- how much do we know about their origins? It seems they were able to use gold and move some impressive sized stones even at the begining of dynastic rule.

I suppose my question could be summed up: Where did these people come from, and what evidence do we have that they slowly learned these building and artisan techniques?

BTW, if anyone in Egypt ever needed a new pot -- they knew where to go after sundown

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
hey hanslune

the area you just picked out...is the area i am fascinated with

there is definatley soo much to be found there

oldest..and most under studied

peace

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Okay I'll bite - why?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Awesome!

I suppose my question could be summed up: Where did these people come from, and what evidence do we have that they slowly learned these building and artisan techniques?

Who came before the ancient Egyptians

Who came before the ancient Egyptians part II

edit on 21/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Star Flag Bump

Thanks for posting this interesting thread. I've enjoyed the information presented.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Can you provide more info about this object?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cowgomoo

I was wondering when someone would question what that is....its thought to be a leg off a table. I would think its was part of an ivory statue. No one really knows
edit on 23/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Awesome!

Who came before the ancient Egyptians

Who came before the ancient Egyptians part II

nubians are not invaders...that came along later...sheesh

ku#es and other southern tribes....became more independant after hykosis rule...
call them whatever...but they are the same race that was pharaoh from before...going back to naqada

a theban IS a kanuz

petrie called the aswan quarry - ethiopian lol....did you go to the same school as him

the builders of the pyramids from aswan are the kanuz nubians, as well as he ruling elite

but yea...seperate them...as black - nubian....white - pharaoh

the ignorance is emmence..i mean your so lost in the translation its unbelievable...

because ku#es are blacks from the south, who invaded the hykosis influenced ramsees period.
BTW, the same people that put ramsees on the throne after tutankhamun...came from ku#e and theban land?
narmer, came from that land.....

you seem like a colonial sympathiser....

Kanuz = gold = nub

but nubians are black...yea...so where the pharaohs

edit on 23-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Do you have any link about it? Who discover it?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cowgomoo

Can you provide more info about this object?

Bull's leg

Period: Early Dynastic Period
Dynasty: Dynasty 1
Date:ca. 2960–2770 B.C.
Geography:Egypt, Northern Upper Egypt, Abydos
Medium: Ivory
Dimensions:H. 14.2 cm (5 9/16 in)

found it here

the metroplitan museum of art call it a bulls leg, furniture, to support a bed or chair

www.metmuseum.org...
edit on 23-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ooooh, I love this kind of stuff. Wish I would of finished getting my degree. I will read through those links before I go shooting off questions. Thanks for the info and I will follow this thread.

Btw, I too had wondered what that odd artifact was.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

you seem like a colonial sympathiser....

Pharaoh you do realize I was linking to sources? I didn't write them nor do your racist fantasy override others scholarship......

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

nor do your racist fantasy override others scholarship......

the university of whitie gave whitie a scholarship because whitie said pharaohs were whities

think what you like...im only trying to help

peace

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

I won't quote your racist rant

This is a thread on the ancient Egyptian Necropolis at Umm el-Qaab

Care to show the source that used the terminology you claim? No? Well I see you are making stuff up again

I'd suggest you take your racial hate and misrepresentation elsewhere

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

One of the more interesting aspects of the Umm el-Qaab necropolis is that it was here that the first sentence in hieroglyphics is found and also the first Royal names written within a cartouche.

These 'firsts' are found in the tomb of the Pharaoh Peribsen known as Seth-Peribsen or Ash-Peribsen. Unlike many other pharaohs of this dynasty, Peribsen is well-attested in the archaeological records but not the historical record. His name doesn't appear in the Saqarra, Abydos king lists, nor Manetho's Aegyptica. Peribsen's royal name is a subject of interest for Egyptologists as it differs from the traditional practice with its connection to the deity Seth instead of Horus.

A clearer drawing of the inscription

The inscription says: "The golden one/He of Ombos hath unified/handed over the two realms for/to his son, the king of Lower and Upper Egypt, Peribsen". "He of Ombos" is thought to be a name of Seth"

The cartouche

Link to a detailed discussion of how was this Pharaoh and the theories behind his name

Other inscriptions associated with this Pharaoh

new topics

top topics

join