It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workers of the world unite...and give up your employment rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
In a world with zero hour contracts,flexi time and other needs of the business
rubbish that treat workers like things than people the goverment come up with
a new idea.

George Osborne has invited employees to give up their workplace rights in exchange for owning tax-free shares in their companies.

In a speech which was greeted with luke-warm applause at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, the Chancellor jokingly borrowed the Marxist slogan "workers of the world unite" to launch his new scheme.

The plan effectively involves workers gambling on their career prospects, by sacrificing their protection against unfair dismissal and other rights in return for profits on company shares which will be free from capital gains tax.

This is going to cost the goverment £100 million so what do you get for making
your self first on the redundancy fodder list.

The Chancellor told delegates: "Today we set out proposals for a radical change to employment law. It's a voluntary three way deal. You the company: give your employees shares in the business.

You the employee: replace your old rights of unfair dismissal and redundancy with new rights of ownership. "And what will the Government do? We'll charge no capital gains tax at all on the profit you make on your shares. Zero percent capital gains tax for these new employee-owners.

"Get shares and become owners of the company you work for. Owners, workers, and the taxman, all in it together. Workers of the world unite."

For giving up you rights not to be made redundant with no warning or pay out you should
get £2,000 to £50,000 but i can't see a worker in poundland getting this.

It's worth reading the full report in the Telegraph as it
covers the full speech by George Osborne as it covers the latest cuts.

edit on 8/10/2012 by skuly because: little edit

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Most big employers don't last that long anymore, the corporations are bought up or merged and the existing stockholders loose most of what they have invested. Insider trading is always happening with the elite, the regular guy looses out. What kind of scam is this guy trying to start?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hmmm workers give up rights for company shares,workers with no rights have shares removed by company and then have employment removed as well when company is bought out. Rightless workers then have no recourse. Sounds to me like a reciepe for slavery. Anyone who would acede to this and trust corporations to treat them fairly is a fool of the first order.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There will always be unemployed people and there will always be what is commonly referred to as the "working class". That's why I'm always skeptical when I hear about new concepts of battling unemployment.

That's because the whole system can not function without either group. They are vital pillars upon which every political system must rely in order to work, and therefore things like "employment rights" are misled ideas of no real value at all. All businesses without exception produce things. Either directly through goods, or indirectly through services. Now what does "a right to employment" really mean in this context ? It means that society guarantees to pay you and employ you, even though the goods you produce are nor needed and of no benefit to society. A concept doomed to fail from the very beginning.

You can not create food and common goods with a population consisting out of academics only, and without the unemployed there would be no reason for the others to go to work. So even though the mentioned concept may work for this particular company, it can and will not impact unemployment numbers, no matter how massively you deploy it.

If you give every dog in the kennel a bone all the time, why would they make tricks for you.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If a person agrees with this does it come with a complimentary ball and chain? This is just an attempt at making people to become slaves willingly.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Who does he think we are?

Who in their right mind would give up all those employment benefits in exchange for some shares which probably pay pennies in dividends.....

Even though I work for a profitable company and have nearly 10 years service, the only shares I have ever owned were given as a bonus (and where promptly sold), not by me sacrificing my rights. Shares can be fleeting, their value changes daily on the whims of prats in stupid suits in Canary Wharf, but a potential months pay for every year served redundancy package and my protection against unfair dismissals are priceless...

Bollocks to that, George. You must think we're all bloody stupid....

top topics

join