It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vepr assault rifle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Here is the new Ukrainian military assault rifle!!!!

Tell me what you think
another link here:
world.guns.ru...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
AS you can see from my avatar, my choice of guns goes back to the original 1947 model.

I have fired several bullpup conversions as well as the Steyr AUG; maybe it's the additional linkage, but the trigger simply doesn't "feel right" to me.

How you can switch the safety off with this gun without taking it out of firing position is beyond me; when you add to that the inherent added complexity of a bullpup design, it simply isn't worth the savings in length that you get.

Finally, the only thing you can use it for is people; the mouse caliber is too small for relaible hits on game such as deer or elk. What are you going to shoot with a 60-grain bullet? And it's not even the NATO 5.56 / Remington .223 round available here!

My autoloading carbine has been around for over fifty years; it fires a commonly available (and cheap) round; it's ballistics are similar to the Winchester .30-.30; I can use FMJs for cheap plinking but can get JHPs for hunting; I've already modified it for a 5-round magazine, which is required for hunting in Arizona, the important parts (barrel and gas tube) are chrome-lined; parts are universally available and cheap -- and you can buy them everywhere for about $400!

What's the point of the VEPR bullpup?

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It is to replace the Ak-74 and AK-74M for Ukrainian army
, as such with the Polish armed forces and the Beryl

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
How do you like the H&K weapons like the G36 and its relatives?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have been wanting to get a VEPR KTR rifle. I already own two AKS a Saiga and ROMAK. I have nothing but good things about the civilain version.

I have never fired a bullpup AK or AR-15, So I dont really have any experience with them. But I have notice alot of countries going to the bullpup design for military rifles. Such as the Steyr AUG and the British SA 80. Even the US M-29 will have a bullpup 20mm grenade launcher.

I like the looks of the all synthetic black version in your link TheRussianPoljak that thing looks nice."Latest version of the Vepr also feature an integral 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher" I want to see one of those babies.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You can't forget the French FAMAS. It's not used very often but it's still a very well designed weapon.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I dont like the way that the bullpub design looks, but it is more ergonamic then conventional clip weapons. It is the future of military weapons, and we will be seeing a lot more of them in the future.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FNG_J
You can't forget the French FAMAS. It's not used very often but it's still a very well designed weapon.

I forgot all about the FAMAS thats a futuristic looking rifle.

About the HK family the are some of the best if not the best built in the world. Im glad HK is making the new service rifle for the US they know what they are doing.

I really like the new modular system they are making with their new rifles. They whole concept of being able to change the rifle into many configurations. for your needs is a great ideal.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The tests show it works extremely well too.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Here's a good website on different country's weapons. world.guns.ru...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
the gun looks nice and all but i wuld rather stick to my M-14

[edit on 17-10-2004 by bloodlust11009]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is wonderful chat place. Other places start racist fights unlike this place. Everyone is considerable of eachother

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodlust11009
the gun looks nice and all but i wuld rather stick to my M-14

[edit on 17-10-2004 by bloodlust11009]

I hate the M14. The whole M16 style weapon is flawed. That's just me though. I prefer the Russian style weapons with the actuating rod instead of the gas that blows the bolt back. The rod keeps the weapons much cleaner and allows them to operate in harsher environments.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread. My criterion for judging a firearm is what it will do for me, i.e., what I can use one for.

If, Ghod forbid, we as a society find ourselves in such a breakdown that we will require firearms for defense and feeding ourselves, then as far as I can see, there are only three long guns that make sense:

1. A single-shot, bolt action .22 cal rifle which will chamber shorts as well as long rifles. This gun will make you a careful shot indeed, and, with a homemade suppresor, firing .22 shorts will allow you to hunt in close to silence, a consummation devoutly to be wished in some survival scenarios.

2. A slide-action, 12-gauge shotgun with a short (18") and a long (28") barrel in cylinder bore, and a 22"rifled barrel with rifle sights for shooting slugs. For less than US$500 you can buy a Mossberg 500 with the barrels and still have money left over (not much) for close encounter defense loads (#7 dove or target works great at three meters range) and buck and slug for hunting large game. Why, for another $160 or so, you can get a .50 cal muzzleloader barrel!

3. A .30 caliber autoloading carbine that can provide sustained accurate fire out to 300 or 400 meters, and can double as a long range big game (deer or elk) gun. For this application, the 7.62X29mm Warsaw Pact round is the smallest I'd even consider, and would feel much more safe with the .308 Win or even the .30-'06 Spgfld.

But a mouse-gun with a .22 caliber bullet (i.e., a 5.56 mm diameter one), although having range and a flat trajectory (especially with something weird like a .22-250) simply doesn't have the mass to take down a large buck. I have owned several 5.56 rifles (both Rugers, one dolled up with the folding stock, black forend and all the toys) and, in the final analysis, got rid of them; they'rer just no effective for what I want.

A .30 caliber gun, even something 70 years old like the SKS, would be preferable for what I want and need.

Now if you're just talking about gun for other people; well, of course, that's something else.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I also dont like bullups, except this one:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Styr AUGs are very nice rifles, I used them everyday in teh service. The British SA 80 isn't that good from what I've heard. The SAS troops deployed in Bosina with the UN were supplied with SA 80s and desperately wished for G3's like the local militia.

As for teh VEPR - I'm not sure about the ammunition useage, but oh well.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FNG_J
How do you like the H&K weapons like the G36 and its relatives?

H&K weapons are pretty nice. The G36 on the other hand I believe is actually designated as a light machine gun instead of an assult rifle. Is this true?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
Styr AUGs are very nice rifles, I used them everyday in teh service. The British SA 80 isn't that good from what I've heard. The SAS troops deployed in Bosina with the UN were supplied with SA 80s and desperately wished for G3's like the local militia.

As for teh VEPR - I'm not sure about the ammunition useage, but oh well.

The SA-80 is flawed for the same reason as the M-16, it was converted to a round it wasn't designed for. It was originally going to fire a 4.83 round *i think* don't quote me on that, but it was re-barreled for NATO 5.56 :rolleyes:

The G3 is such a better gun, It was a godsend in Ireland. We should have bought a load of G3's really, the SA-80 isn't that good. Oh well, hope some does somethig soon. The A2 version Jams alot less, if still not really up to standards, which is at least a plus point.

I've never shot a gun, but I must admit, I prefer the Idea of a traditional rifle to the bullpup, even if the bullpup does have advantages. But that's just me. I would prefer something along the lines of the old L1A1.

SKS eh? Thats a beutiful weapon indeed. Very good.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

H&K weapons are pretty nice. The G36 on the other hand I believe is actually designated as a light machine gun instead of an assult rifle. Is this true?

yeah HK make nice weaponry, actually looks quite nice that vepr.
the MP7 looks interesting fire it like a submachine gun or like a pistol.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teh_Gerbil
I've never shot a gun, but I must admit, I prefer the Idea of a traditional rifle to the bullpup, even if the bullpup does have advantages.

I don't like ALL bullpup designs, as I have only ever used the F88 AUStyr.
I prefer this design because I have full barrel length with the advantage of a smaller overall size. It is great to have when you are in a convoy as these weapons are easier to get into position from inside the vehicle than a traditional full length barrel rifle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join