It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Workers Ask For Basic Rights, Walmart Calls Riot Police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

What labor unions? This is WalMart dude

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Hang on a minute, under what authority do these GI Joes have the right to restrain another citizen ?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Wallmart workers need a union.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I recently watched the documentary that showed how Walmart deals with those who cause trouble. Talk of workers joining a union? Former managers went on camera to tell the things they were forced to do by their employer in these circumstances. Walmart apparently has a special team they fly in on a corporate jet whenever something of this nature starts to be talked about.

They follow the ringleaders around and tape them, among other things. Constant surveillance all day every day unnerves some people, and that is the point. They probably wouldn't hesitate to use information they gather to blackmail the person either. I wouldn't put it past them.

When it comes down to it, corporate interests are not necessarily good for public interests. Just because some walmart worker is making minimum wage does not mean they are better off. These min. wage jobs are a pittance compared to corporate interests, which means that the very few percentage of executives are making billions if not trillions of dollars combined. That is who corporate interests benefit, and everything they do is in that interest. They do not care about the people who actually make their business possible...the workers.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
well..

it completely looks staged to me.. and until someone on ATS was actually there watching and was participating and can confirm this was actually happening.. I call shannigans, mis-direction, and a host of other crap the shadown government is trying to force on us to get us to react..

I don't trust the Media .. any farther than i can spit ..

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
is this even legal?
insane that instead of actuly take care of folks that run the company... thay have them arrested!
its like slavery
insert Jackie Chan "wth?!" meme
edit on 1-10-2012 by jplaysguitar because: meme

This is insane!

I don't know what messed up laws you have over there, but I worked in Security for over 15 years and this is criminal in the UK.

In the UK these "officers" would be charged with impersonating a police officer, and they can also be charged with unlawful imprisonment, harassment, assault... their company would be shut down overnight.

Security staff in the UK have NO RIGHT to detain or arrest anyone beyond the "citizens arrest". This is why we have governed and publicly funded police forces with no chance of corporate corruption of the force. That is their job. A security officer is there to prevent loss and report crime, nothing more.

These are not security, they are private mercenaries acting as privately funded police - something no democracy should EVER accept.

If this story is true, this really is a wake-up call IMO. People need to start asking questions right now and start protesting against this.

Alas, I think the American public is STILL too preoccupied with American Idol and Snookie to be able to get off their fat arses and actually have a thought about where their country is going.

I'll repeat what I've said before in recent posts - the USA had a silent coup a long time ago. Your country is not run by the government, it's run by the military, corporate interests and bankers. If you still don't think that today, just wait another couple of years and you'll know it.

Edited to add -
When I say "no chance of corporate corruption" I obviously mean "less chance". We do have massive corruption here with police forces up and down the country, taking bribes from News International etc. The chain of command is obviously ineffective or also corrupt, and the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) is widely viewed as being a veneer of "doing something" when they are pretty much infiltrated with the same kind of corruption too.

If that's what it's like in the UK, with publicly funded police, I can only imagine what an unregulated "private police" force in the UK would be guilty of.
edit on 2-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
It was only 38 people protesting and they caused the warehouse to be shutdown preventing other employees who work there from doing their jobs and making a living.
They don`t have a right to conduct their protest on private property they should have been doing that on public property and they wouldnt have been arrested.

So you think it's fine for a private corporate police force - with no responsibility to the people, the state or the country - to have access to things like LRAD, batons, armor?

You seem to be conveniently overlooking the very fundamental problems with what we're seeing here and focusing on some people protesting, as if that's the most noteworthy aspect of this.

So a few people were inconvenienced, grow up man and grow a pair too! You think civil disobedience deserves this kind of response? I'll bet you were cheering when the LAPD maced protesters in the face too, because they were "making too much noise" or something equally pathetic.

It's amazing how easily some Americans will justify abuse of power. Liberty is conveniently brushed aside as it suits people and their argument.

People have the right to protest, just don't get in my way, if you do you deserve a beating!

And let me guess, you're a supporter of the corporate Romney too? Just throwing that out there as a possibility, as it seems most of those who don't understand protest, or seem to think it's reserved for some select group of people, are usually hypocrite Republicans.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If anyone is uncertain about identifying an authority figure then ask them! By law every officer has to carry picture badge ID while on duty (remember that). It doesn't matter if you are police or private security. No private security officer can wear a police patch or police badge unless he is sworn in. Only a officer of the law can deputize a civilian and usually occurs because of a life/death dire situation and you offer assistance. Now if these guys are private security, then why wear a police tactical vest? You can buy the same police tactical vest that say security instead???

I can see where in this situation asking for ID would be warranted they do seem to be a private squad. Ask for ID and just say I am sorry, but I need to see ID, because I am uncertain if you are private security posing as police or if you really are police. If they say they are security there is a problem. If they say they are police but still show no ID there is still a problem. Be vigilant and don't be afraid to call your local sheriffs department or police and get a officer to come out.

On a side note they do look like police and they are wearing side arms, but looks can be deceiving, as any security firm would have access to the same weapons and gear as a ordinary police officer. However, you must prove that you are the business owner/officer of a legit security firm, law enforcement, military to buy such gear etc. from a reputable online supplier.
edit on 2-10-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Wallmart workers need a union.

Wallyworld has a team that flies around the country for the sole purpose of keeping unions out. As Sam Walton said he would close a walmart before letting a union in. How is Walmart suppose to keep getting record profits year after year if they paid their workers a decent wage?

Walmart employees take over 1.5 billion in federal aid every year because of low pay.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
IF THEY RE BEEN ARRESTED,WHERE ARE THEY???...IN WAL-MART JAIL????

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Svipdagr
Simple Solution. Stop working there.....Im sure many other people would work in your stead. Treating people horribly is wrong, protesting sure....you'll get attention. But ask yourself this, they're obviously not willing to change, Why stay there?

We all know this will end with labor unions backing the protestors up, then the walmart will shut down and they'll all be screwed. Then there will be people who sue, and not win 1 cent. Decade later, someone will sue for some health or emotional trauma, and still not win 1 cent. Meanwhile the walmart is gone, and everybody loses their job.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Want to solve this problem, hold a meeting with the local walmart representative, don't block the business, have your labor union president come and meet the representative. Both parties will have to concede something to gain something. Maybe you'll get a little less pay, but having insurance, a discount and better working conditions might be worth it.

You can't get everything you want, or everyone would be a retired millionaire with butlers and maids, sipping pina coladas on your own tropical beach paradise.

You know, just for comparison, Costco pays their employees a far better wage, offers benefits, and still rakes in alot of cash.

Your post completely leaves out the alternative of simply paying higher ups less, and paying the hardest working employees more. But sure, continue to believe that big business can only succeed in America if we all accept slave wages, harsh working conditions, and fat cats at the top who get payed far too much for doing far too little.
edit on 2-10-2012 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Like others said before me.

Who are these people. They aren't police and don't have the authority to arrest people. So the detention is technically a kidnapping.

Since when are businesses allowed to create their own armies? Then this means we are also. It's equal rights for ALL MAN, not slective rights for certain groups.I suggest that everyone in America create their own protective forces also. I think everyone needs to unite before it's too late. They bring their private force, that state's citizens should bring a bigger one comprised of everyone from that state and even help from people of surrounding states.

This is what militias are for.They're designed to protect the people of that state.
Not to serve the govt, but to protect the people with their 2nd ammendmant right to bear arms. They try to make militia sound like a dirty word, when its just the opposite.

Just like they throw the word terrorist arround at everyone. If you look up Terrorism

ter·ror·ism   /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/ Show Spelled[ter-uh-riz-uhm] noun

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

It shows the definition of what the world's governing terrorists are doing. It's all politics and whose in politics? The politicians governing this world through terrorism.
edit on 2/10/2012 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Not sure what they are hoping to accomplish here.

I'm all for workers having a safe workplace and being paid a fair wage, but they had better do a little research. Wal-Mart has in the past shown no hesitation in closing brand new stores down if they catch even a whiff of union activity, although they will blame it on the facility not being profitable.

So I fear all they may end up accomplishing is that the warehouse is bulldozed and everyone is out of a job.

Edit: And isn't it a crime to impersonate a police officer? Or are these police officers off duty or what?
edit on 2-10-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Actually guys, they are police. I posted an article back on page 3 that has all the details, the right details. There is also a video on that link as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Have a look at the police again.
dont they look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

even in china they are fighting back,
and people should.
or one day all lower working class will have to put up with this.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Actually guys, they are police. I posted an article back on page 3 that has all the details, the right details. There is also a video on that link as well.

My bad. thanks for pointing that out. Eventhough the only thing it changes is that it gives more reason to fight back. Police are bigger criminals than the people they beat and murder daily. Most people are just trying to make an honest and FAIR living, to support and feed their families, while being raped and pillaged of their rights and what little wealth they try to acquire.

But thanks for pointing out the fact they are police. I should have finished reading before posting even though the sentiment of my post remains.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Everybody understand why so much work
goes into bashing Unions? Mega corps pay
AM radio shills. Cheaper than treating them right.

Sorry RealSpoke, I meant to quote your simple
but perfect post.

edit on 2-10-2012 by sealing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Oh, it's the union doing this, not the workers.

The tee shirts say teacher's unions.

Unions always demonize Wall mart because they want a share of the corporations profits so they will demonize Wall mart any way they can.

They love to use phrases like slave wages when Wall mart always pays a few dollars above minimum wage to full-time workers.

This is just one of many reasons why I believe Unions are corrupt, because all it's about is getting the money from Wall mart.

And if Wall mart ever does get a union in there, the prices will rise in order to compensate for the the union dues and paycheck hikes.

I'm sorry, but I just can't support the union on this one.

Basically this is an outside group trying to pressure Wall mart into giving it money when there really is no real problems there. it's a huge scam.

After all, why would a teachers' Union strike at a warehouse, a place that stores things and is not a school?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just like they closed down a store in Quebec for trying to get a union.

Wal-Mart Closes in Quebec

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well this is an awkward thread! Through no fault his own the O.P. mistakenly reports that clearly marked police officers are private security. Perfectly justified howls of outrage ensue. Then the O.P. finds more recent and accurate information and posts a correction; those are real cops in the photos. But, being on page 3, some people naturally miss the correction. In addition, it was pointed out that the Chicago strikers don't work for Wal-Mart, further muddying the issue.

This is why we came up with the phrase "fog of war". Conflict is messy and it's not uncommon to get inaccurate reports from the front lines.

In my opinion, though, the framework is being laid to privatize the police. And yes, way too many people will still consider them to be the Proper Authorities.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join