It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Riots break out at Foxconn factory in China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Report: Riots break out at Foxconn factory in China

worldnews.nbcnews.com

Reports early Monday from China suggest that a mass disturbance or riots may have broken out at a Foxconn factory in the Chinese city of Taiyuan.

It is still unclear what exactly happened, but posts on China’s popular twitter-like service, Weibo, from users in the area show photographs and video of large numbers of police in and around the factory – many in riot gear – blocking off throngs of people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Accordingly to the article, this isn't first time an incident has happen. I guess there was a strike back in March because the workers didn't get their raises and now they're rioting.

Sigh..I suppose no free IPhone 5's were handed out huh but seriously, people are just getting fed up working hard and not getting what they deserve.

I know personally if I don't get my raise as promise at my job, I will probably just......go home vent a little and do it again the next day to continue to pay the bills..eh.

What can you do in situations like this..what quit??

worldnews.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well yeah, they're definitely sick of the low pay but also the living and work conditions. There's a reason why Foxconn has had to deal with suicides.

I'm still confused as to why they live at factory in dorms.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

I dont remember exactly. Though I saw a video one time, of the people that work in these factorys. Something like they are brought in from poor locations, work for cents a day, and live on site in 4 people rooms or something. Also I remember they put nets out to keep people from trying to commit suicide by jumping. I will have to try and find that video.

It was crazy to me, didnt realize that conditions like that still were around in a "civilized" country.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Selfsecurity because: Ah someone beat me to it. I think the photos in the post above are from that video.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Marxism and Communism are incompatible at Raccoon City.
Capitalism is though at Fauxconn City.

Those are truly appalling photos posted by Swill$. *
Communism is Godless religion that has killed 100 million.

The word Ghetto comes to mind.
edit on 23-9-2012 by WakeUpNowSnap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thats a pretty big bra there and those bath puffs look really old, they tend to stretch out like that after a while.

Ok I will also say that these always seem to be the younger people in the pictures, could this be similar to our JobCorps?
edit on 23-9-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I hope anyone who criticizes this isn't on a computer... Oh wait...

Better not be online at all, in which case you can't offer your opinion on a forum like this one. Anyone who buys anything out of China supports these types of conditions. And while people complain about not enough jobs, these ones have all been sent overseas to places like this, and India, so the Western world can download the newest app, so we can buy crap at Walmart that is cheaper than anywhere else.

Myself I can live with the fact that I enjoy a lot of my luxuries off the backs of others. It's not ideal, but it is a thousand year old story.

The real question is can you?

You would be hard pressed to find any and I do mean any consumable product that hasn't been slaved over to bring it to market. It's the way the world is.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thanks for the photos.

Terrible, absolutely terrible! See how pamper and spoil we have it here. These people are willing to go to the edge of life just to make a living and feed their families while "we" sit at home on bbq'ing on food stamps and aid, complaining how we don't receive enough.

I have heard those sayings come out of some many peoples mouths it is freaking unbelievable!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Better not be online at all, in which case you can't offer your opinion on a forum like this one. Anyone who buys anything out of China supports these types of conditions. And while people complain about not enough jobs, these ones have all been sent overseas to places like this, and India, so the Western world can download the newest app, so we can buy crap at Walmart that is cheaper than anywhere else.

Myself I can live with the fact that I enjoy a lot of my luxuries off the backs of others. It's not ideal, but it is a thousand year old story.

You would be hard pressed to find any and I do mean any consumable product that hasn't been slaved over to bring it to market. It's the way the world is.
Your post is the Hard Truth.

Lets see how many will step up to a lower standard of living here, so they can raise their standard there.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The type of factory Mtt Romney outsourced to and had no problem doing it.

Mitt Romney = spreading wage slavery world wide.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Selfsecurity

I worked at a place when I was first starting out on my own on YTS(youth training scheme) which was £35.00 a week paid by the training provider working FULL time hours and it lasted for 2 years. The employer exploited it and when the two years were up they would get rid of anyone on YTS and bring in another load of new starters.

They also offered parts of the building out to workers to rent rooms on site by converting unused parts of the building into bedrooms. this was so they could go fetch workers when they were needed to cover hours etc. even the fully employed workers were underpaid and had to work almost all week none stop just to earn a livable wage.

this was only roughly 20 years ago in the U.K. and this thread reminded of it instantly. most employers only care about profits, most of them would treat us all this way if your countries laws permitted it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh mannnnn. If foxconn employees rebel I'm going to have to pay more for electronics.

America is so morally hypocritical. Slavery is demonized and illegal here, but it's fine for our companies to do it over seas.

Both China and US are at high fault when it comes to cheap labor markets and lack of minimal working conditions.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
good.. after how many have been driven to suicide by the hellish conditions there ... and the slave conditions apple makes them live and work under... hope they burn the damn place to the ground...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I'm still confused as to why they live at factory in dorms.

Because rent for the dorms is taken out of their pay whether they live there or not. These people are treated like slaves no wonder some of them kill themselves.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just a matter of time Till factories or businesses get so big, gain so much support,momentum and attention that rioters and citizens together will be able to take-back controll of there opressive government.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is capitalism at work in a country where the workers have no rights, and there is hardly any government over site.

I hope those who think capitalism means freedom take a long hard look at this.

And don't think this can only happen in China, it could happen here just as easily as workers rights are slowly eroded and capitalists gain more freedom to exploit.

Using settlement agreements to diminish workers’ rights

www.bis.gov.uk...

We need to strike nationally, perhaps internationally, in order to reestablish worker rights.

Workers lose sight of holiday rights: CTU

Injured Workers About to Lose Rights: Illinois Legislators to Vote on Sunday

Egg farm workers may lose union rights

Temporary workers lose union rights

Injustice In The Workplace: Blackmailed Workers Lose Constitutional Rights

If workers lose the right to organise they are screwed.

edit on 9/23/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

And if the employer did not provide and charge them for living accommodations, they would not have a place to stay that they could afford with the wages they are given. The employer would have an even higher turnover rate than they already do.

Also, I take offence on blaming the consumer for this.
The blame lays at the feet of the policy makers that made this possible.
People will buy whatever they can afford and what is available.

40 odd years ago, most American's were buying American TV's, American Made Games etc

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Some prisons look better than that. But then again I guess you'd have to live there to truly know.
edit on 23-9-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Do not even try to blame consumers that are paying $700 or more for a hunk of plastic. Place blame where it belongs. To save myself typing, I will just quote what I posted recently to another thread about this factory.

Originally posted by elouina
Don't blame the consumers for this. Blame the company making humongous profits! More profits than any company should ever want. Look at how much folks pay for these cheap plastic trinkets! With say a few more parts than a $10 cell phone? Oh and I guess the software that costs a lot to "manufacture" on each phone? Insert smirk here... If they would just take a portion of those profits and give them to the folks that make their products this wouldn't even be happening. So Apple would just have a few less dollars in their pockets. The rich get richer on the backs of the poor. So Folks, don't even dream of blaming this on consumers!

So how much does Apple make? Try nearly 12 billion in the first 3 months of this year alone. So who is at fault here? Thought so...

This is a perfect example of what is wrong in this country. Tremendous profits on the backs of increasingly poorer employees. I vote for huge tariffs on imported products. Then they will be forced to manufacture in America.

edit on 23-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
The type of factory Mtt Romney outsourced to and had no problem doing it.

Mitt Romney = spreading wage slavery world wide.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

This is certainly Romney's vision for America. Any jobs that he DOES create here instead of China or India, would be just like that in those photos with SLAVE WAGES and SLAVE CONDITIONS.

A vision for America with no workers rights, no minimum wages, no health-care, no retirement, no NOTHING to benefit the average American worker. HELL, after Romney or any of todays EXTREMIST CONservatives are through with us, those poor folks in those pictures would be considered BETTER OFF then Americans!

[color=cyan]Those photos SURELY make Romney drool and smile proudly (and smugly) deep down inside...

The America citizens have come TOO FAR to have bastards like him in charge.

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 23-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join