It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother arrested for letting her children play outside!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
www.click2houston.com...

Did a quick search and didn't see anything posted.

From the video this looks like a nice suburban area. There is nothing in the story that screams she was a bad mother. Just another example of police ignorance of freedom and abuse of power.

She said her children, ages 9 and 6, were riding their motorized scooters in the cul-de-sac where they live while she watched from a lawn chair in her front yard just a few feet away.

"I was out there the entire time," Cooper said. "I never left that lawn chair the entire time."

Cooper said a little while later, a La Porte police car pulled up in front of her home.

"I went out there to see what he was here for and he said, 'Ma'am, we're here for you.' I said, 'Oh really? Why?' He proceeded to tell me he had received a call from one of my neighbors that my kids were riding their scooters unsupervised.

Even if she wasn't watching in a lawn chair so what? What is so bad about 2 children playing on their own in their neighborhood? Isn't that what kids are SUPPOSED to do?

Disgusting.
edit on 14-9-2012 by WhiteSpectralMirror because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I remember when I would pack a little green backpack with a sandwich and have a canteen full of water and be gone all day into the depths of the woods behind our house.
That was the 70's.
Today,well today is a different world we live in.

But I have a feeling there is more to the story then what is let on.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Don't you remember?

"If You See Something, Say Something!"

It's the neighbor's Patriotic Duty...

Peace

edit on 14-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I consider her lucky.
This is what happens around here when someone disagrees with the homeowners association.

Man charged with murder in Ky. homeowners meeting shooting, could face death penalty

www.washingtonpost.com... 1-98c6-ec0a0a93f8eb_story.html

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteSpectralMirror

When I was a little girl and all the kids' were outside playing,there
were always some neighbors sitting on their porches watching out
for the kids.This was typical back 50 years ago where I grew up at.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I remember when I would pack a little green backpack with a sandwich and have a canteen full of water and be gone all day into the depths of the woods behind our house.
That was the 70's.

I grew up in the 90's and got poison ivy every year playing in the woods. I was riding bikes with friends. Playing by the river. It's sad future generations will look at us as weird for this.

At first I thought there had to be something else as well. I kept thinking what actions by the mother could have been considered "child endangerment". Letting kids play in a cul-de sac, on motorized scooters designed for kids, while being outside even passively watching in no way sounds like endangering a child's well being. There was likely no busy traffic (again its a cul de sac) and she was doing a heck of a lot better than a lot of parents by just being there. Even if she went inside to answer a ringing phone or refill a drink I could not see that as endangering her children.

Her actions were those of being a good mother, watching her kids play outside in fresh instead of being glued to a TV or videogames. While a motorized scooter is a bit lazy, again it's better than a lot of parents do today.

I don't so how any of this could even be slightly considered child endangerment.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

When I was a little girl and all the kids' were outside playing,there
were always some neighbors sitting on their porches watching out
for the kids.This was typical back 50 years ago where I grew up at.

Yer letting yer age show Mama!

And yes, you're right about people watching over the kids on every block in those days. But in those days we actually played outside and didn't stay in our rooms with our faces stuck to a screen and our ears sprouting cell phones.

Times, they are a changing. And not for the better.

Peace

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. When I was a kid, my friend's and our mothers would get together in a house and have a hen party (bridge, Avon, or Tupperware or whatnot), while our fathers were at work. Us kids would rack the neighborhood, riding bikes, playing cops and robbers, etc. We were all about 6 to 12 years old or so. Of course this was back in the early to late '70s. And then, you could leave your windows open at night. Society has really gotten bad. Damn, I'm sounding like my father now. But, it's the truth. It's getting out of hand.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteSpectralMirror

Originally posted by kdog1982
That was the 70's.

I grew up in the 90's and got poison ivy every year playing in the woods. I was riding bikes with friends. Playing by the river. It's sad future generations will look at us as weird for this.

At first I thought there had to be something else as well. I kept thinking what actions by the mother could have been considered "child endangerment". Letting kids play in a cul-de sac, on motorized scooters designed for kids, while being outside even passively watching in no way sounds like endangering a child's well being. There was likely no busy traffic (again its a cul de sac) and she was doing a heck of a lot better than a lot of parents by just being there. Even if she went inside to answer a ringing phone or refill a drink I could not see that as endangering her children.

Her actions were those of being a good mother, watching her kids play outside in fresh instead of being glued to a TV or videogames. While a motorized scooter is a bit lazy, again it's better than a lot of parents do today.

I don't so how any of this could even be slightly considered child endangerment.

Probably either...

1. The scooters were to loud disturbing the peace of the neighbor.

2. No helmets.

I live on a cul de sac with retired neighbors and a homeowners ass.(pun intended).
My kids,who are still young of age don't piss off the neighbors.

Old people,including me,tend to bitch and carry on about nothing.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am not buying into the knee jerk reaction that I am supposed to have right now.
I am going to wait for more info to come out on this.

However,
If this story is true as it is presented then the lady deserves it.
As do we all.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I am not buying into the knee jerk reaction that I am supposed to have right now.

However,
As do we all.

What? Did you mistype this?
How does the lady deserve it, if this story is presented factually true?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I am thinking there is more to this. Like she REALLY pissed off a neighbor or something so they set her up with a bogus police call. I live in Houston, my 9 yr old daughter and her little friends play outside all the time and the cops never do anything but wave and smile. There is no freaking police state going on here and kids play outside all the time. It's not against the law at all. Something else is going on with this.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I will be 58 in january.When I was a kid...
We didn't have video games,cellphones,internet,pc's,laptops.
We rode our bikes,played baseball,went fishing,swimming,walks
in the woods.
We could be gone all afternoon and just had to be home before
dark.Those days are gone now and it is not safe letting your kids'
be kids.There is always some jerk wanting to take off with them.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
That neighbor is just as bad as that old bat who would call up on my cancer stricken aunt for parking infront of her home....when the old bat herself had no car.

This is stupid!!!

People need to get a hobby or a life and stop meddling in everyone elses.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It's the cutest thing to see these two little girls....6 and 8...riding their electric scooters around our block....unsupervised....through the middle of the street...it's a pink scooter and the girls are so small...it's so cute....they haul azz and don't make a noise

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Originally posted by Screwed

However,
As do we all.

What? Did you mistype this?
How does the lady deserve it, if this story is presented factually true?

Maybe "deserve" was not the right word.
She had it coming to her......as do we all.
How's that?

How could I say that?
In the same way I can say that people who refuse to evacuate when a hurricane is threatening to level a town or city have it coming to them.

There is a problem.....and people ("WE") are refusing to do anything about it.
"WE" are just sitting here and letting it happen.
Therefore "WE" are ALL to blame.
She is just as culpable as are the rest of us.

There is a cancer in our country and it needs to be rooted out and destroyed.
Until "WE" do that, then we are all to blame, and we ALL have it coming to us.
edit on 14-9-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Misleading title of your thread. I can guarentee you she wasn't arrested for letting her kids play outside. I'm also willing to bet there's a lot more to the story then that article/video says.Neighbors don't call the police for kids playing outside.She probably has a history of letting her kids run rampant through the neighborhood.They're probably neglected as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

This is neglect:

jake kimbley's parents indicted on child endangerment charges

1st and third videos show the condition of the home. Jacob (2) and mentally disabled was found in their septic tank after having been reported missing while playing hide and seek with their other children.

The case reported in this thread appears to be ludicrous.
edit on 15-9-2012 by elfie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by elfie

I'm well aware of what neglect is. As I already said the article in the OP tells us nothing and his title is misleading.You do NOT get arrested for letting your kids play outside.There is way more to the story then what is in that article.

From the article : "I was out there the entire time," Cooper said. "I never left that lawn chair the entire time."

Cooper said a little while later, a La Porte police car pulled up in front of her home.

"I went out there to see what he was here for and he said, 'Ma'am, we're here for you.'

So which is it? You were out there the entire time? Well,why did she say "I WENT out there to see what he was here for" .But I thought you were out there the whole time? Someone is not telling the truth.Also I hope her case is thrown out.She's probably in a fued with her neighbor.They both need to get over it and stop being retards.

edit on 15-9-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I think she what she meant by 'out there' was at the street, if she was on the front stoop watching them.

My point was really: why aren't well intentioned neighbors calling about the families whose children wind up dead in the septic tank or starved to death while the husband is deployed or beaten to death with a pipe by their grandmother because they had a seizure while she was reading the bible to them? Plenty of children could have benefited from such concern.

edit on 15-9-2012 by elfie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join