It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney: Voters can look to 'principles' for sense of how he'd govern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Romney: Voters can look to 'principles' for sense of how he'd govern

Mitt Romney argued Sunday that voters should have enough of a sense of his principles to have confidence in how he'd handle the nitty-gritty details of taxes, spending and health care as president.

He used to buy companies load them up with debt then file for bankruptcy and raid the employees retirement funds. This country can do without his kind of principles.

The Republican presidential nominee, appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," argued his plan to cut taxes squares with his vow to achieve a balanced budget by the end of a second hypothetical term, even though achieving those two goals would seem difficult, if not incongruent.

Can you believe this man? He complains about Obama not balancing the budget in one term but says it would take him at least two terms. Hey Mittens ever hear of the word hypocrite?

"President Obama had a policy of engagement with Ahmadinejad. That policy has not worked and we're closer to a nuclear weapon as a result of that," he said. Romney said he would handle it differently by more aggressively pursuing diplomacy and sanctions, while also maintaining a military option. "We need to use every resource we have to dissuade them from their nuclear path. But that doesn't mean that we would take off the table our military option. That's something which certainly every American would hope we would never have to use," Romney said. "But we have to maintain it on the table or Iran will, undoubtedly, continue their treacherous course."

And this tops it all off. Bring out the threat of a nuclear Iran. Hey Romney how about some proof of these nukes? Didn't Israel provide you with that info. Imo a man who fled the country so he wouldn't serve in the military has no place in charge of our military.
edit on 9-9-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
he should be a comedian... politicians have no principles...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That's exactly what I'm looking at to see how he'd govern. His principles. And that's exactly why I wouldn't vote for him under ANY circumstances!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
When will people learn that all they have to do is look at the record to see how they governed? I'm at the point when people start complaining about how they were lied to, I just tell them they get what they deserve. If you are too lazy to research your candidate before you vote, thats your fault. Speeches and sound bytes on 24 hour news networks just don't do it for me.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think one should always start with what a man has done, rather than what has has said or hasn't said.

Governorship of Mitt Romney

The real irony for me when reading or listening to the partisans discuss the two choices before us, Romney or Obama, is how little difference actually exists between the men in terms of the manner in which they govern. And even on many of the substantive issues, the differences are hardly all that great.

Their rhetoric may separate them, but their actions hardly do so.

The noise and belief in the electorate is that these men are polar extremes of one another.

In my opinion, they are not.

But that is how we roll in this country.... 90% smoke and minors... 10% substance.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Personal principles are a good thing...and when one is a private individual, they need not consider the opinions and principles of other individuals as long as their own do not infringe upon someone else's rights.

The difference between Obama and Romney in regard to this idea, imo, is best shown by their stance and actions/reactions related to the issue of same-sex marriage equality.

Obama has freely admitted that when he first came into office, he held the opinion that such a thing could be accomplished with legislation measures designed to give same-sex partners similar rights as married partners have, but was not in favor of same-sex marriage.

Joe Biden set an example for Obama...and as a side note...since when has that ever happened? When has a VP, knowing full well what his President's stance was...not only disagreed but publicly stated he disagreed and then followed that up with directly expressing himself to the President in favor of his own stance and not in favor of the President's views?

Anyway, after Biden 'suggested' it...Obama's daughters gave him their POV and the rest, as they say...will soon be history. Obama, very soon after, repealed a law (DADT), enacted another law (Matthew Shephard hate crimes), and made provisions for not supporting another law against equality in same-sex marriage (DOMA).

Romney, on the other hand, does not believe in same-sex marriage equality because he morally/personally/religiously does not believe in same-sex relations as being valid at all...he is a Mormon, so that is expected.
However, when a potential voter asked him about it, he was pretty much unbending and to date, I have not heard him express any sort of giving in or even a statement that he is willing to reconsider what the people that he hopes will elect him want. And he also had stated he supported the REPEAL of same-sex marriage equality legislation already in place.

That means there is a chance that, if elected, Romney would work to undo all that Obama did already. He has already said that he would get Obamacare repealed and then come up with something else similar to Medicare.

Here are my conclusions in just this one real scenario:

1. Obama is more concerned about what the people of the USA want rather than forcing everyone to conform to his personal values and opinions of how a person should live.
  2. Romney cares more about his own viewpoints than serving the people of this country and doesn't even appear to have any true interest into looking into WHAT we want and WHY we want it...and HOW to get it for us.
  3. Romney would waste time and money in undoing things that Obama has already done...the Obamacare issue took too much time as it was because of GOP resistance and if Romney undoes what Obama does, he is wasting double time and money...both Obama's and then his own.

And ultimately, how the heck does Romney think it is better to dismantle Medicare and then create something similar of his own? And how does he think it is going to be better?

The way a venture capital company is run is not the way a democratic republic should be run.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It a pretty astonishing thing for him say given that he is provably the most unprincipled politician to seek our vote for president at least in my lifetime and I'm 48. I literally cannot find a SINGLE "principle" of his that has withstood the test of time save for his drive for personal profit, no matter the cost.

He even shoves his Mormonsim aside when it threatens his investments or gets in the way of campaign contributions.

He even left his own wife hanging at the Olympics rather than being viewed as a patrician for attending by her side as her horse competed in the Olympic dressage competition.

He avoided military service and even in his supposed missionary work he stayed in a chateau rather than with his fellow missionaries in more humble surroundings.

None of his sons served, even though each have come of age during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. We obviously know his position on national service -- don't, if you can get away with it. Heck, he even failed to acknowledge servicemen and women in his acceptance speech in a time of war -- an American first.

He darned near killed his own dog as opposed to letting it ride in his car.

He assembles a frat boy wolf pack to attack a helpless loner fellow student.

He BORROWS money to buy under-valued companies, LOADS them up with debt and forces them into exorbitant management fees after taking control, leading directly to bankruptcy after siphoning out all their assets.

He "saves" the Olympics with $1.3B in federal taxpayer funds.

He gets in front of the line at family meals because he thinks his grandkids take too long and then finishes his food before they even really begun...that comes from his son in an interview on FOX. What a selfish jerk.

He insults common people on cookies he does not like, raincoats he thinks are cheap, etc.

He takes company pictures with his employees with money hanging out of their suits, etc. How charming. Thanks for revealing your values Mitt.

His own state hated him after his first term so much he dared not to run for re-election.

Contrary to the standard set by HIS OWN father, he won't release his taxes (he still has not released even a complete year), though he demanded many years returns from his VP candidates.

He parks every penny he can offshore -- you sure can't call him an economic patriot. His own dad deliberately avoided tax loopholes he could have taken on the ground he though it unpatriotic.

I mean seriously folks, can you tell me ONE redeeming quality of this man that makes him worth voting for or reflect some principled position he has been firm about his entire career? To me, stack it all up and you have in my view a genuinely horrible human being.
edit on 10-9-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

And he has no experience in Congress...the job of Governor is not the same as Senator and an intimate knowledge of Congress...both the visible aspects and the hidden ones...is indispensable to being President, imo.

He has practically no experience in foreign relations other than debating the French people on the merits of the Vietnam war when he was in France and not Vietnam and then there is that fiasco of a tour he recently made where he managed to stick his foot in his mouth as soon as he got off the plane in every country he visited...well, he did good with the Jews in Israel but he was fishing for campaign contributions there, so....

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sorry, but the Romney Unit has no principles. It just has software. Mind you, it's had so many updates over the years that I suspect that the hardware is showing signs of strain.

new topics

top topics

join