It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sean Penn rips 'Team America' creators in angry memo

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I saw the preview where the puppet vomited in the street for like 5 minutes. I mean, puppet vomit, how can you go wrong?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Is it just me or does this look like a rip-off of Thunderbirds?

I wasnt gonna watch it but if Sean Penn hates it I guess its worth a look (after it comes out on DVD)

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I wasnt gonna watch it but if Sean Penn hates it I guess its worth a look (after it comes out on DVD)

I'm sure that the point was to look as much like the Thunderbirds as possible. More of a spoof that a rip off.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Easily the funniest movie I've seen um, hmmm, I guess since South Park: The Movie.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
When ER Doc turned "Batman" was considered one of the most powerful guys in Hollyweird he came across the early version of Santa versus Jesus, got in touch with the little slackers and made hundreds of copies for all his "friends" (like Sean Penn).

Actually, he wanted a part in a south park episode so they used him to do the barking for a dog!!!!

Too funny, can't wait to see the movie. SO is dead on, Sean who? His 15 minutes were over the day he got divorced from Madonna. THis is sort of like Jerry Falway and the Teletubbies. Sometime you get so desperite you have to say something stupid to get your self in the press.

jra

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

There were several shows back in the day that used those style of marionette puppets. It's hardly a rip-off, it's more of a homage to shows like that.

I don't see why some of you have problems with watching puppets. I think it looks great, like some people said. It makes fun of boths sides, left and right. I can't wait to see it.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by jra]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Who would have thought that cardboard cutouts could be so funny? With puppets there is so much more they can do! Its an homage to Thunderbirds. Though its not the way its presented that is so funny but what is said.

Team America will be amazing. Get off your high horses and watch the film before you slam it!

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I can't fault Penn for his opinion. He has a right to it and he had every right to write that memo. I even agree with some of his statements although for the most part I think his and most other Hollywood liberal's stance is hypocritical. I also think most right wing extremist stance is hypocrisy as well. Why? Because the truth doesn't lie at the end of either extreme. I have no doubt that Mr. Penn loves this country and what its founded on as he sees it. Why we Americans waste valuable time battling one another when we all have the same best interests at heart is beyond me. However, while we waste time doing it, those who intend to destroy us plot and plan.

Muslim extremist don't give a damn whether your Bill O'reilly or Mike Moore. You're an American and you will die.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I seriously get really sick and tired of Hollywood washouts getting all uptight over blatantly comic films. I mean, comon. This whole war on terror has been a drag, I am glad finally someone is going to get the balls to lighten up and make something funny from it.

I mean, look at Mel Brooks. A Jew. History of the World part 2: Hitler on Ice.

Obviously, no one after seeing South park, the movie, were demanding Canada be bombed. Our ambassadors did not send threats to canada demanding apologies for bryan Adams (though they should have!
).

No one in the US is rounding up anyone with beady eyes and flapping heads into concentration camps. Why?

CUZ THE MOVIE IS A FRIGGIN JOKE FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

And this time, we are getting a better than Michael Moore flame going.

because this film is showing how absolutely ridiculous the left and right wings are in this war, and how both sides are so wrong, as they have become ridiculous.

Its a joke, and when this nation, especially Hollywood, loses its biting, sometimes cruel, sense of humor, then we have totally lost the right to be called America.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
At the risk of getting a warning.....

Who the hell really cares what Sean Penn has to say about anything? Really. He's an actor. Period, not a political analyst, lobbist, diplomat, etc.

Sean, sit the @%$# down and shut the @^%&$ already. Just my opinion, of course.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
Who the hell really cares what Sean Penn has to say about anything? Really. He's an actor. Period, not a political analyst, lobbist, diplomat, etc.

No warning from me. Your right on IMHO. I too am tired of the brainless Phoneywood types preaching thier political message with that smug "im famous so listen to me ignorant masses attitude" !!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I seriously get really sick and tired of Hollywood washouts...

'Hollywood washouts'? Yeah, whatever, Skadi...
. IMO, Mr Penn's political views matters as much/little as anybody else's, but to call him a Hollywood washout.. I'd say he's actually one of the more talented actors around in Hollywood. But granted Skadi; he ain't no Keanu Reeves...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I mean, look at Mel Brooks. A Jew. History of the World part 2: Hitler on Ice.

How about Blazing Saddles? There's a movie that couldn't even be MADE today, it's so un-PC.... Which I think shows that we've definitely taken steps backwards....

I guess that's why I'm so glad to see such un-PC shows as this actually make it...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Der Kapitan

No warning from me. Your right on IMHO. I too am tired of the brainless Phoneywood types preaching thier political message with that smug "im famous so listen to me ignorant masses attitude" !!!!!!!!!!

If a famous person holds and voices strong political views, aren't they going to be publicised anyway? I'm not familiar with Sean Penn or what any "Hollywood liberal" says, but I reckon they have a right not only to voice their opinion, but to be politically active. It's not entirely their fault that they're famous - people want to hear about what kind of breakfast they have and who they vote for. Apparently. There's an entire industry devoted to the minutiae of entertainer's lives. If you're going to have a go at anyone, make it the system that spawned them and gives them a voice above actual political entities like the Libertarians and Greens.

Apparently the existence of an ignorant mass is the working assumption in the US. Parker and Stone know it's there. 46% of the population. Even more if you count the Republicans.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

[edit on 12/10/04 by Grimnebulin]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Hrm... trying to remember the moment in time where Sean Penn started to matter...

hmmm...

ummm....

OH! Right!

That moment never happened!

No, you are wrong,

It was when he and Madonna made Shanghi Surpise."

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I know, I don't listen to Charlton Heston either.
Or Governor Schwarzenegger.
I certainly wouldn't listen to Ronald Reagan.

Oh, wait, was that a point I just made?

Just kidding. Seriously, everybody has a soapbox. The only difference between Ann Coulter and the angry homeless guy on the subway is the kind booze they buy. The only difference between Michael Moore and the local neighborhood Chomsky worshipper is the quality of car they us at the Burger King drive through window.

Don't call them stupid or brainless, because they're not. They make millions of dollars and have millions of fans and don't have to dig ditches. Immediately putting them into the "brilliant" category, would be a pretty safe bet.

My point is, if you don't agree with them, don't listen. You don't have to, but they have as much as right as me or you or anyone else to say whatever they want to.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I do not think his voice should not be heard. I question his motives. On top of that he just gave Matt Stone and Trey Parker material for South Park. (keep yer eye on that show ATSers) Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe Sean Penn just annoys the crap outta' me. Either way- Sean, please shut up.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Just FYI, The Concept and Screen Play for this was Pre 9/11. So this Children @ War is Crap. Its just a silly Puppet Movie.

Also Matt and Trey Are more Right then left. They Hate Dirty Hippies as much as Religous Right Wing Nuts.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I can't stand Sean Penn...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735

Don't call them stupid or brainless, because they're not. They make millions of dollars and have millions of fans and don't have to dig ditches. Immediately putting them into the "brilliant" category, would be a pretty safe bet.

Money = Brilliance?
Fanfare = Brilliance?

Interesting logic.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join