It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historical Precedent for the UFO coverup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When looking at the present, it is often convenient to consider similar circumstances in the past. Does anyone know of circumstances, where governments have covered up foreign contact for a long time, like with UFO's. The only think I can really think of is China and Japan closing themselves to the west, and the rest of the world. Although, I suppose their are probably examples, where only elites had foreign contacts, and kept them secret for various political or other reasons. Can anyone think of more examples?

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There are all sorts of examples, like backdoor talks and secret meetings with supposed enemies. As far as contact with foreigners, no, because in old times, it was impossible to hide the existance of such a thing.

However, during the exploration of the new world, many stories were brought back to Europe fabricated about the natives explorers met, giving them false descriptions and images.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
There are all sorts of examples, like backdoor talks and secret meetings with supposed enemies. As far as contact with foreigners, no, because in old times, it was impossible to hide the existance of such a thing.

Why was it impossible to hide? The Catholic church suppressed all sorts of knowledge. Why wouldn't they supress knowledge of foreign lands? In Japan's Edo periods, where nearly all foreign contact was banned, did the common people know of foreign lands? Were there rumors, like we have about UFOs today?

In many parts of the world, most people have been quite provincial at various times in history. Many countries battled to keep out Christian ideas, which caused prominent rebellions in both China and Japan. However, I believe Japan somehow managed to acquire various western technologies, during this period. I think Japan did the same with respect to China, centuries earlier. I would like to know how this compares knowledge of UFOs.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Luckily(?) they did'nt censure all art. Take a look at at ancient art and European art, and judge for yourself:
www.sprezzatura.it...

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Ingolf]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ingolf
Luckily(?) they did'nt censure all art. Take a look at at ancient art and European art, and judge for yourself:
www.sprezzatura.it...

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Ingolf]

The art does provide evidence that at some UFOs were known in the past. However, that isn't quite what I'm trying to get at. Were UFOs common knowledge when the art was produced? Were UFOs only known about by the elites, for whom the paintings were created?

The real thing I'm wondering about is whether powerful entities covered up basic knowledge about things in the past in a way similar to the way UFOs are covered up today. Did knowledge ever surface? I suppose it may be fruitless task, as all the evidence may be buried, after events became secret again.

I suppose in the west, and america in particular, we more readily lose our own history, because old speak less and less to the younger generation. Every traditional culture has associated with it, some sort story telling ritual from the older generation. Today, everyone focuses all too intently upon the latest movie and tv show, which is both put through the filter, and is further and further just like the present. Reality shows are probably the worst in that respect.

The wisdom of the past is being lost in the blinding light of the present. For this reason, I want to look back on the past, and try to understand when knowledge was buried before. How was it uncovered? Can we uncover it in the same again?

top topics

join