It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

worldwind - places of interest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
(please feel free to move this post somewhere more appropriate)

i was playing around with nasa's 3d earth viewer wordwind (available at learn.arc.nasa.gov... ) using the USGS setting as landsat still doesnt work & i came across something that looks unusual above las vegas, so i was wondering if someone knows what it is.

latitude = 36.30203
longitude = -115.0937
altitude = 10,026.73

thanks in advance

Mod Edit: link wasn't working, fixed

[edit on 9-10-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I haven't had the time to download it yet, but from looking at the pictures they have on that site...this thing looks like it could easily replace satellite imagery. Well I am more than likely wrong since I haven't used it yet. I'll use it later tonight or tomorrow and tell you what I see at those coordinates.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Somehow I get the feeling I have to use this program over a T1 or T3 connection because this is taking freakin forever to load the high res image data on my 768 k DSL...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
thanks Chieftian Chaos for when u get the time. noouch did you get to view the area?

anyone else checked out those co-ordinates yet? strange looking area whatever it is.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Someone please tell me that WW works with Win98.

I've updated my DirectX settings, but the damn thing won't initialize. Also d/l'ed the patch. Also cleaned my temp....etc. etc..

This programme intrigues me, but my vintage baby doll (my PII that I hand-built) just can't seem to get it going.

ACK ! ACK ! ARGHHHHHH!!!! ME-WANT ME-WANT ME-WANT!!!!!!!

Dot.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
sorry but it sounds like its time for you to upgrade i think

recommended specs are -

Windows 2000, XP Home, or XP Professional
Intel Pentium 3 1 ghz or AMD Athlon or higher
256 MB of RAM
3D Graphics Card
nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra
ATI Radeon 7500
Intel Extreme Graphics 2
DSL / Cable connection or faster
2 GB of disk space

World Wind requires DirectX 9b and the .NET Runtime environment to be installed. These have been included in the World Wind installer

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
when i try zooming in, it says to wait 2 minutes and try again? Is the server down?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Read the web page about that...

Problem connecting to server...will try again in 2 minutes:
This problem, related to downloading LandSat7 imagery and terrain, is a server issue. It is unable to cope with demand, so we are exploring ways on coming up with a solution. Visit the Add-on page to download sections of the world.

Zip

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ok now, I downloaded the thing, so where do I go to get the settings you said above so I can see what you saw. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Pancakes - you need to click on the USGS button (this works only for viewing the US until Landsat prob is fixed)

Use the area finder (magnifying glass button) to find Las Vegas and then click the lat & long button. Move above LV till you find the right area.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by justyc]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
How do i view citys so i cans ee building etc like terra server, because i wanted to view manchester england and wen i zoom it its just blurred

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
All I see are NASA buttons where is the USGS button? Please

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Make sure view/toolbars is ticked & make sure the 9th button (USGS-1m) is clicked & not the landsat button.

yuanshao101 - until the landsat problem is fixed, you will get blurred images everywhere you zoom in unless you use the above USGS button & that only works for viewing the US. Try downloading the demo version of Keyhole (www.keyhole.com) which may have manchester on it.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The land stat 7 worked well, then I switched to the usgs button and my lap dog had a nervous breakdown, took around an hour for computer illiterate me to get up in my lap again. I'm gonna read and type for awhile and then go back and see how it goes. It looks like a fantastic site and tool thanks for the post.

TUT

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
strange, landsat seems to still not be fixed yet as it still has problems connecting.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
My first attempt failed said I was not authorized and that it was due to server difficulties. Couple hours later it connected me, looked around and attempted to go to usgs tab and you know the rest. Have not returned as of yet

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
if you tried to zoom in on an area & it was blurred then it wasnt connecting to landsat. You can view longish distances with it but only when you try to zoom to its max does it become blurred.
hope you have better luck next time you use it.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
i see patterns in the sand is that what you r talking about?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
yep, the triangular shapes & grid thing below it area

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
can't even start whirl wind now, when I attempt lap dog either crashes or says couldn't launch JIT bug. waiting on a jit bug? from intel.
seems as though whirlwind still has a lot of weird wind in it.

<<   2 >>

join