It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Read Monkeys' Minds, See What They're Planning to Do Before They Do it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
linky

I think I need to start a Methodical Monkey Meme.

Neurologists working with monkeys at Washington University in St. Louis to decode brain activity have stumbled upon a rather surprising result. While working to demonstrate that multiple parameters can be seen in the firing rate of a single neuron (and that certain parameters are embedded in neurons only if they are needed to solve the immediate task), they also found that they could read their monkeys’ minds.

This isn’t exactly ESP, but it is really interesting. The researchers came to find out that by analyzing the activity of large populations of neurons, they could discover what actions the monkeys were planning before they made a single motor movement. By monitoring neural activity, the researchers could essentially see what the monkey was thinking about doing next.

This is the scary part.
If these guys can do this. Can the government with sensitive enough equipment read your mind?
This is starting to sound like Minority Report if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is one of the cases where the research it self has so many potential...

It could range from the sinister to the near miraculous.

Image allowing the blind to see, or the paraplegic to walk, the first step is mapping the brains functions, once they can interpret the signals it could be used for that...

But it could also be used to say, make a perfect lie detector, Imagine being able to completely pull info from an enemies or criminals mind.

But than what happens to privacy, lucky this is in the early stages and will take many years to perfect, hopefully by than the situation has improved some around the world...

But i doubt it..

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Kinda reminds me of the movie Minority Report as well.

Coming to an airport or theater near you soon!

edit on 24-7-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It doesn't take ESP to know what this government funded program is about and what they intend to do with it.
There is too much knowledge without any responsibility in the science and technological fields anymore.
It is out of control. Just because it can be achieved doesn't mean it should be done,
"George Orwell is here and he is living large." (Cereal Killer).

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This is it people, the dream we have all been waiting for.

In a decade or so this will be developed into a way to scan our thoughts to determine those who might be a threat to national security and other governmental safety nonsense.

Were there is a will there will be a way and it might not be happening in our life time but think how far invasive governmental surveillance has been developed over the last couple of decades.

It's as if they cant get big brother plans out fast enough. Best keep an eye on those who start throwing big money for it to fund a workable prototype for us non-monkeys.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

If scientists are discovering this now.
And the military is usually 20 years ahead in tech.
They probably already have this.

This combined with that laser that came out recently that can scan you and see what you have for breakfast.
Well you have a recipe for invasion of privacy.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's time for everyone to hop on the random revolution. Create your own order through randomness. Keep your actions off the internet and be careful what you do. Always try new and different things. Its harder to track you down and you'll all get more life experience. Isn't experience the point of being here anyway? Being able to change thought perspectives is vital to the human experience.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
this is an interesting breakthrough I am happy to see this come about.

I have no worries about the sinister side of this tech I mean what good is being able to read a zombies mind when its eating you?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What about plants can read our mind. Experiments with proof in the latest book of David Wilcock
divinecosmos.com...

This is breath taking book. All I can say is amazing.
Forbidden science.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I saw something similar done to a human. I don't remember the exact amount of time, but I think it was that researchers knew what the man was going to do only a tenth of a second before he did it (or thought it). I don't think it's enough time to make it worth the government's efforts to read someone's mind.

edit on 7/28/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/28/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join