It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Holmes was Studying Temporal Illusions, or the Ability to "Change the Past"... or was he?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Introduction

This thread is not nearly as exciting as you might think, but it is informative.

I found this interesting video clip here:

James at Science Camp

"A temporal illusion is something that allows you to change the past."

Okay...

So... what is this temporal illusion? I am a psychology major, and I am a bit skeptical about temporal illusions being used to change the past, although there is a theory in quantum psychology that the past can be changed for the individual, it is not nearly mainstream. So I honestly don't know what James is talking about. Let's go see if Wikipedia has any answers (it doesn't).

A temporal illusion is a distortion in sensory perception caused when the time between the occurrence of two or more events is very short (typically less than a second). In such cases a person may misperceive the temporal order of the events. The kappa effect is a form of temporal illusion verifiable by experiment[16] whereby time intervals between visual events are perceived as relatively longer or shorter depending on the relative spatial positions of the events. In other words, the perception of temporal intervals appears to be directly affected, in these cases, by the perception of spatial intervals. The Kappa effect can be displayed when considering a journey made in two parts that take an equal amount of time. Between these two parts, the journey that covers more distance will appear to take longer than the journey covering less distance, even though they take an equal amount of time.

Wikipedia: Temporal Illusion

I think that is pretty clear, just read the last sentence;

Between these two parts, the journey that covers more distance will appear to take longer than the journey covering less distance, even though they take an equal amount of time.

although I don't see how that is changing any events in the past, one could say that one's perception of time has been modified. And surprisingly, this little tidbit does come into play later in this thread.

The Mentors and their Work

Whatever he was working on, could be found either by looking at works by Dr. Terrence Sejnowski or John Jacobson, who were luckily shown in the PowerPoint on the news clip.

I found a clue here

Eagleman, D. M.; Sejnowski, T. J.; Untangling Spatial from Temporal Illusions, Trends in Neuroscience, 25(6) 293, 2002 (PDF)

Download the .pdf here to look at his research.

This is an experiment that shows how the journey that covers more distance will appear to take longer than the one that covers less distance, as the Wikipedia article explained. So basically, everything ties together into a boring psychology experiment.

Sorry guys... although someone else can open up a new investigation using the information I found if they want. I figure this is at least worth posting because it brings forth some new information for other people to use in their research, and it also clarifies a bit about what James Holmes was working on immediately after high school.

I still think that something the guy was studying in his psychology courses might have caused his rampage, so I'm going to look into that some more.

edit on 24-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Or maybe he was specifically targeted because of what he found that may or may not necessarily be what he was working on?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I too have started to explore for more info on Temporal Illusions to look for answers about James Holmes and the the thread I recently started might help you. At the moment I have been trying to find any papers or articles he may have published in online academia websites.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Thanks man, he might have started here and then gotten more involved with this idea over time in his college and graduate years. I know I developed a theory about four years ago that I still work on today.

Also, I wasn't actually able to unearth why he thought that temporal illusions could "change the past," so that is still up in the air.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
he did change the past. the last time he committed this crime he got away.

even though he did his deed at a 'Dark Knight Rises' premier the symbolism of the his action is clear.

Being that i'm not a fan of Batman, i can only use Episode 3 of Starwars to analyze the scenario.

in a manner of speaking, he was acting as dark jedi knight anakin skywalker when he arrived at the mustafar system; when he wiped out the separatists and ended the war. only this time he's captured; along with the sidious and everyone with them is going to jail.

according to the Hebrew Calender, we are currently within the 3 weeks period where the babylonians breached the walls of Jerusalem and this coming saturday corresponds to the destruction of their temple and expulsion. james holmes is clearly an operative.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Excellent thread. Excellent discussion.

Could what he was into have changed energies around him?
Could that have invited the demonic or changed his brain waves?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I also speculate that he was experimenting with certain hallucinogens in conjunction with his research.

This is conjecture on my part from observing the details thus far in addition to his behavior and photos.

Hallucinogens tend to cause human beings to do very inhumane things.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not really sure about changing the energies around him and inviting in demons, anything is possible... I would have to know what he was studying on his own time, or what his senior thesis in college was, or what he was doing in his PHD program to know for sure... these are all good things to look into.

He could have definitely been experimenting with drugs, as a matter of fact, they were mentioned in the Wikipedia article I quoted above.

Psychoactive drugs can alter the judgement of time. Some – such as entheogens – may also dramatically alter a person's temporal judgement. Substances such as '___', psilocybin, and mescaline may affect our time perception. At higher doses time may appear to slow down, stop, speed up, go backwards or even seem out of sequence.

It is at least somewhat common for people doing their own psychological research to use drugs as a method of discovery.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Are you saying that we are approaching the time in the prophecy where the temple is destroyed?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

yes, but.

its not Jerusalem that is being destroyed.

its Damascus instead.

the past is being changed.

its as if the two cities are reflections of one another and in the future only one can exist in tact.

its just a theory, but when multiple powers descended on Damascus instead of Jerusalem, I began to suspect the world had taken a detour somehow.

i read somewhere that the Temple Mount is under the control of a Waqf (an Islamic trust). Israel provides security, but the administration of the site has been under the control of Damascus since 1187 (I haven't determined whether that means the year when Saladin captured it from Crusaders or the two digit month and year, as time is a pain in the ass to grasp.

edit on 24-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

yes, but.

its not Jerusalem that is being destroyed.

its Damascus instead.

the past is being changed.

its as if the two cities are reflections of one another and in the future only one can exist in tact.

its just a theory, but when multiple powers descended on Damascus instead of Jerusalem, I began to suspect the world had taken a detour somehow.

I can dig all of what you're saying less and except the past being changed.

When the ball was dropped, it began to roll forward and will continue to do so until the end of its journey. There are no rewinds, only changed minds.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Awesome theory. Tell us more.
Could you be thinking of a time-line shift??
You've got me hooked. MORE!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

i agree that the past can't be changed, but it can be covered up / forgotten and we can all moved forward in time based on a lie.

i think that's where the idea of the illusion comes into play.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

There you go......

what a perfect patsy for an almost perfect false flag attack

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

agreed

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Awesome theory. Tell us more.
Could you be thinking of a time-line shift??
You've got me hooked. MORE!

i don't follow prophecy closely, but it all tends to deal with the destruction of Jerusalem.

the coalition of nations that were supposed to surround Jerusalem according to prophecy are all in Damascus, another city which Abraham is a prominent, and not Jerusalem, which is comparatively calm.

Russia, Syria, China, Iran...on one side.

NATO, the Arab League on the other.

various other groups and nations that don't have a prominent role.

if there has been a time line shift...it must have happened years ago.

James Holmes action took place on the 1st of Av...on the 9th of Av is the day when the temple is supposed to be destroyed. The Nine Days being a separate event within the 3 weeks. I'm thinking it was meant to represent some type of decapitation strike.

last night the movie Eagle Eye was shown and it was 12 people on the list for termination...in a manner similar to the 12 people that died in Theater Nine.

its almost like revelation; in this time line he is caught. in a different one he gets away and becomes chief of police or something.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
it seems obvious that James Holmes may have been applying his research into creating his own separate reality.

that he wired his home to be blown up and dropped out of the university suggests to me that he had no intention of returning. as if he was prepared to leave his former life behind and didn't want any evidence to remain that he'd ever existed.

this could explain why he has no facebook, for example;

i don't think his intentions were to be in the situation he now finds himself, but he did try.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I started a thread regarding the idea that he was conducting some form of experiment in perception, a rather sick one, where he was not actually part of the shooting, but instead made himself appear to be through illusion. He'll have corroborating witnesses that place him somewhere else during the shooting. He then parked outside the theater near the exit, with equipment identical to that used in the crime. The actual shooter vanished before police arrived.

His hair is colored red and he was wearing all red so that he could be easily remembered. I won't be surprised to hear a report that some guy was in a nearby 7-11 or somewhere, at the time of the shooting, that fit his description. I just have some odd feeling the police are following all sorts of leads down a rabbit hole.

I guess we'll have to wait to hear more. He has not yet been formally charged, which is quite odd if they have incontrovertible evidence.
edit on 24-7-2012 by Bilk22 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

perhaps they are waiting to charge him until after we have gotten past the temporal junction we are currently in.

this junction ends on Sunday at 6 p.m...10th of Av?

his next court date is Monday. when/if he is charged.

all observers should consider the reality to be much stronger than it is at present.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

You are actually making some weird kind of sense here....

but the problem is that the destruction of Damascus is in both Islamic literature as well as biblical literature right?

I know for a fact its in Islamic, and I think the bible has some prophecies concerning damascus also

Damascus appears to be something serious both religions have in common.
edit on 24-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join