It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lechuza caught in Carizzo Springs Texas? fake or real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The legend of the "Lechuza" has been told in this area for years.
Now, a recent picture has sparked a discussion about whether the picture is real.
The picture believed to have been taken in Carrizo Springs shows two men holding a white owl with a very large wing span.

What do you think ATS? Can you debunk this photo of this really large owl? Real or Fake?

OBAMA DRONE? LOL

BOHEMIAN GROOVE OWL?

www.pro8news.com...

SOURCE
edit on 15-7-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

Fake...they wouldn't be able to hold up an owl that large with their fingertips. Plus the weight of the bird body wouldn't allow it to be spread out like that.....fake fake fake....

Des

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Fake...they wouldn't be able to hold up an owl that large with their fingertips. Plus the weight of the bird body wouldn't allow it to be spread out like that.....fake fake fake....

Des

good point i guess. bad photoshop job? largest owl is the great grey owl? this is way bigger than that.

those out there familar with pointing out bad photoshop jobs please respond to this photo. thnx.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

If you look closely it may be that the bird is supported by wires and they are just holding out the wing tips. You can see a string/wire to our right which looks to be connected to the wing.

That doesn't mean the picture isn't fake however.
edit on 15/7/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If something of that size had really been found, there would be a lot of news about it. Kinda like if a pterodactyl had been captured. That looks like about a 10 foot span between the men. I stared and flagged you for the interesting pic though.

Could be a taxidermy compilation as a gag...like a movie prop. Made to propagate the legend.

Des

edit on 15-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The grey owl is the largest. Barn owls are small. That is definitely faked. When I was a kid of 14 some friends and I caught a great horned owl that had about a four foot wingspan. We thought we would keep it as a pet. It soon taught us other wise. Owls can really get down to business.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I go fake.

The guys in the background are acting like it is no big deal. Looks like a wire in pic..Things just look odd.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
meant to say great grey owl.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The metal sheeting behind super-owl there is wavy and roughly in line to the height of their hands and the line I'd imagine the real banner they'd been holding actually ran. Good work on filling some areas...but even the brick along that same fill line looks a bit off. Almost not noticeable, but then, it is...just enough.

The new photoshop is really magic with it's content-aware options. Particularly it's fill option.
It's *almost* perfect. not quite though.....and that is my guess. Last semester was a little PS in photography. The core Photoshop course starts in a few weeks...this will be interesting to save and play with as I learn more there.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The metal sheeting behind super-owl there is wavy and roughly in line to the height of their hands and the line I'd imagine the real banner they'd been holding actually ran. Good work on filling some areas...but even the brick along that same fill line looks a bit off. Almost not noticeable, but then, it is...just enough.

The new photoshop is really magic with it's content-aware options. Particularly it's fill option.
It's *almost* perfect. not quite though.....and that is my guess. Last semester was a little PS in photography. The core Photoshop course starts in a few weeks...this will be interesting to save and play with as I learn more there.

yeh just noticed the lines on the sheeting in the back. irregular around the owls wings.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's more than likely a fake. Chances are they are holding out a dead snake -- possibly a rattler -- which are quite common in that area. Even a snake that long would be creepy to come across.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Des

bones of birds are designed specifically so they are light and can fly, so it is not as heavy as it looks.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Have to agree with all of this, too many inconsistencies around the owl itself, good looking out.

I'd say 99.9% hoax. The 0.1% comes from the owl being an owl (not actual size) and the officers holding something up.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

True. About 7 years ago a fully grown great horned owl flew into the front of my blazer. It was knocked out, and I stopped to pick it up from the side of the road, thought it was dead as my front grill was in pieces and windshield broken.

I still have the scars in my stomach where it came back to life and dug in good with it's talon, after I picked it up and held it to my chest. It fortunately only had a broken wing, according to the wild animal preserve I took it to. It had about a 4 ft wing span, and was pretty hefty in weight. Not a feather weight if you get me drift.

I still say fake on the photo...anything avian that size would weigh a lot more than a normal size barn owl.

Des

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
here is the facebook post where locals are discussing it, where this image was first posted...

link

no one seems to ask why there is no other photos or video. u know other visual documentation other than that photo.

i would want to know who these people are who are seen supposedly holding it up and who found it or killed it or whatever.

no more info other than a photo making the rounds. right now easily/logically put as a photoshop job until further photos or video is released which i doubt will happen.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Des

Correct. That was my first though as well. A bird that large would have a substantial weight. FAKE.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I say real.

It looks dead to me and is partially supported by wires so as not to rip it's wings apart for the photo.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Leave it to you Slayer to be the thread turner....game on...

I say photo shopped. Why you ask, there would be more than one photo of this puppy if it were real. Those guys in the background, and all their friends would be having their photo taken with it. They would be plastered all over the webz....

des

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
its entirely possible yet i also wonder were the other pics and documentation are, were is the carcus now? but as far as photo shopped im leaning no, if it is fake it is probably an elaborate hoax that involves a fake dead owl that looks huge

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In hunting around, I did find a site saying the wings were a barnyard variety. Enlarged? The same site noted the head was a little fuzzy on focus.... Hmmm

Outside of the technical though, it's 2012 and this could stand for a pretty good prop in 'Son of Mothman' or something. I mean really, that wingspan would appear to just about meet the widest known in the world. (12 feet on an Wandering Albatross). The obvious question comes to mind? Where is the media? It's 2012. CNN would be running over little old ladies to get to it, if it were 100% genuine... Ratings would be a nice bump. lol

<<   2 >>

join