It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Clermont cops fired for off-duty prank

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just wanted to make the "good cop bad cop" point again. This is another example of how too many cops think that they can do what ever they wish. Dispite the fact that they were driving out of control they were never issued a ticket.
[url=http://articles.orlandosentinel.com... icer]http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-10/news/os-clermont-police-officers-fired-20120709_1_patrol-car-patrol-car-camera-clermont-officer[/u rl]

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Gotta admit I thought it was funny...but there is a place and a time for a prank and a high speed chase should not be one of them. We have to remember that cops are people just like us. They have tempers, senses of humor (sometimes), and also make bad decisions.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Yet one more example where "protect and serve" doesn't apply.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office investigated the incident at Graham's request and determined: "[A]ll officers involved in this incident felt that the prank was not malicious in nature but was intended to be a joke."

So driving at 90 is not malicious in nature but is a joke? Tell that to the cop that stops you doing 90 next time.

Thompson, behind the wheel of his personal vehicle, laughed hysterically when he was finally pulled over by Fowler, and said "he was just having fun," according to the report. Hall and Edwards were passengers in the car

Tell that to the cop that pulls you over the next time you are doing 90 and being pursued by police.

Hall was in the back seat and remembered Thompson saying that he would get Fowler to pull him over, and Hall suggested "it would be funny if he [Thompson] got out and ran."

Hilarious. Try that the next time a cop pulls you over doing 90.

Thompson was swerving and was aware that Fowler had turned on her emergency lights, but Edwards told investigators he wasn't paying attention and was "messing with his phone," the report said.

Tell that to the cop who pulls you over doing 90. Obvious nature of those who are the law feel they are above the law yet will do anything to anyone who dares to do something like "roll" through a stop sign in their neighborhood.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Gotta admit I thought it was funny...but there is a place and a time for a prank and a high speed chase should not be one of them. We have to remember that cops are people just like us. They have tempers, senses of humor (sometimes), and also make bad decisions.

May I ask, what was funny about it?

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

May I ask, what was funny about it?

CJ

It was a joke...I mean you see it all the time...AFV, Tosh.O, someone gets kicked in the nuts, someone breaks a bone, that # can be funny. I don't condone or look for it but it's human nature to laugh about it. I understand the relevance of this prank and had someone gotten hurt then it wouldn't have been funny. The FACT is no one got hurt and that's what I'm going by.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

I can understand the innocent prank on a fellow officer, but considering how reckless and the possible danger of an officer pulling a gun on them wasn't the smartest thing to do. I'm sure both officers regret their actions now.

I think firing them is a little over the top. I can understand them being suspended and giving them a speeding fine, but to fire them for something that had no sinister intention is wrong. Maybe the chief should review this tape with the entire police force to make sure all officers know that pranks like this will not be tolerated. Using these two officers as an example is unfortunate.

How many of us have done pranks to our fellow workers? Unfortunately, the police don't have the latitude like other jobs. Their pranks could result in a fellow officer innocently being shot and killed. We sometimes don't think things out when it's on an impulse. I believe the action of these police officers are a perfect example.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Two of them were fired. What do you want, an execution?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Not only an execution but one done in the public. Hmmm...stoning or hanging,

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Hyperbole. The point is, cops think they are above the law. How can reckless driving at 90 miles an hour be considered a joke? If they killed someone how laugh out loud funny would that be? They got fired but didn't get a speeding ticket - sounds about right when a cop breaks the law - internal punishment but not through the court.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I dont get how that's a prank.

Several crimes were committed and the potential for escalation was incredibly high when he jumped out of the car.

Seems more like the idiots tried to play off their reckless disregard by calling it a "prank" when in reality they were just speeding assholes who felt they were above the law.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

So it isn't breaking the law when a cop goes 90, just a "prank"? I guess I'll try to use that next time I'm breaking the law.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Okay how about this - next time you're pulled over, you lose your job instead of getting a ticket. Go for that?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

So it isn't breaking the law when a cop goes 90, just a "prank"? I guess I'll try to use that next time I'm breaking the law.

CJ

You're missing the point "Mr. Chillout Bro". I'm not disputing the fact that what they did was against the law in fact I even stated in my 1st post that there is a time and place for pranks and this was not one of them. However, just because someone broke the law doesn't mean you can't have a good laugh about it. Ever seen a show called "Worlds Dumbest Criminals", ya they are breaking the law but some of the # it funny as hell. See example below

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Okay how about this - next time you're pulled over, you lose your job instead of getting a ticket. Go for that?

I'll take the ticket officer....tic tac sir, lol.

edit on 11-7-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

So they shouldn't get a speeding ticket for speeding? Why not? How about reckless driving and evading an office of the law? No?

CJ
edit on 11-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Ah, yeah. Again, how one could find it funny is beyond me. Where is the humor? I suppose if your idea of funny is watching people break bones, criminals being stupid, etc than I guess you have a point.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Should you lose your job for speeding? How about littering?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
In my parts they call themselves"public safety officers".I hardly see the humor in jeopardizing peoples lives for a
Laugh.LUCKILY the idiot didn't kill someone.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
These guys arent even original. They stole that prank directly from the movie "Super Troopers".

Kinda sad, really, that they cant even come up with their own joke.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

If your job is to protect the public, and you willfully put the public in danger, then yes, you should.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join