It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Stossel poses as homeless man: ‘You shouldn’t give to these street people’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Blah.. those people on Fox and friends (the main hosts) are annoying. Steve and the woman are just complete airheads, grinning idiots and Brian is as absolute brainwashed fool, but worse than the others because he thinks he knows what is right.

The guy that did the "experiment" is a joke. It must be a lot easier when you know you have tons of money to fall back on. I am glad he got to have his fun mocking people that are down on their luck.
edit on 6-7-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Blah.. those people on Fox and friends (the main hosts) are annoying. Steve and the woman are just complete airheads, grinning idiots and Brian is as absolute brainwashed fool, but worse than the others because he thinks he knows what is right.

The guy that did the "experiment" is a joke. It must be a lot easier when you know you have tons of money to fall back on. I am glad he got to have his fun mocking people that are down on their luck.
edit on 6-7-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Sadly, that's exactly what he's doing, mocking the least fortunate class of people. I honestly don't think it's possible to be more of an #hole.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

The ones with mental disorders are untouchables as well. It should be noted that Reagan was instrumental in creating a huge portal of the homeless population by helping to get rid of mental institutions.

I couldn't get the URL to work; but, have been having "packet loss" problems for days now so it is probably my bad connection.

I remember Reagan's denial of the homeless problem in the 80's; and then after that, the dumping by busloads of permanently institutionalized mental patients in back alleys with enough cash to buy a couple Happy Meals and nothing more. Most of those people were "disappeared". Reports of a couple of cops who used them for target practice, others simply disappeared. Followed by more denials of homeless people. (There was an oilfield industry crash back then and a load of layoffs.)

Sure, there are people holding signs who make more pretending to be homeless than we make at an honest job; but, they are a minority of the whole picture.

I'm still haunted by the memory of one pathetically skinny and ragged guy. I "felt" he was a Veteran. He was sitting on a curb, his feet under a parked vehicle, and he was holding an empty catfood tin ... jagged edged top still attached. The way he was looking at it ... you knew exactly what he was thinking of doing with that jagged top.

edit on 6/7/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: it

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
Just another example of the hateful, closed-minded Conservative agenda of Fox "News."

So prove that what Stossel did was 'hateful' or that the information he gathered was wrong.
Prove it. Post how his investigation was in error. Back up your statement with facts if you can.
BTW .. Stossel isn't a conservative Republican. He's a Libertarian.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Another thread relevant to the discussion ~ Begging and the Homeless

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Just another example of the hateful, closed-minded Conservative agenda of Fox "News."

So prove that what Stossel did was 'hateful' or that the information he gathered was wrong.
Prove it. Post how his investigation was in error. Back up your statement with facts if you can.
BTW .. Stossel isn't a conservative Republican. He's a Libertarian.

Or, how about you disprove the ops sentiments? Actually, don't bother, you'll just come out swinging blindly for the rich again...

To the OP. Here in the UK if I see a "Big Issue" seller (usually a clear indicator that a person is right on the line of homelessness) I make it a point to buy 5 issues and walk off before they have a chance to hand them over. On a recent shopping trip to Cambridge with my eldest we came across so many homeless people we decided to scratch the ostentatious shopping trip for more material junk and spend the money on something that would earn us some Karma. A trip to a local sandwich shop, I loaded down with sandwiches and he with cartons of fruit juice and off we went. At one point we attracted the attention of the police who came up, asked us what we were up to and upon explanation the copper responded with, "Nice one gents, carry on." I lost count of how many sandwiches we gave away that day but I will say this, BEST SHOPPING TRIP EVER.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PW229

That was a fantastic thing to do

There is nothing wrong with helping, or wanting to help other people, this is how real humans should be.

Imagine how much better the world would be if we all cared about the welfare of others, rather than self.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Just another example of the hateful, closed-minded Conservative agenda of Fox "News." Did you know that they are listed with FCC as an "Entertainment" channel?

People should have seen the truth when their motto was "We report. You decide." If something is true and reported with facts then it isn't up to the population to decide if it is true.

“Truth is not determined by majority vote.” - Doug Gwyn

Stossel is a libertarian and he is correct!! I volunteer and donate money to a downtown shelter that is sponsored by a variety of churches in my community. Whenever I get panhandled I give them a card to direct them to the shelter for food, clothing, a shower or temporary shelter in addition to all of the other services available there. 9 times out of 10 I either get cussed at or simply see the card thrown on the street.

Those who truly want help know where to go to get it. Others just want an easy buck to by alcohol or drugs.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Oh he's a "Libertarian"? What kind of Libertarian? Conservative or Progressive? How does this "Libertarian" vote? I bet he votes Republican. These neo-Libertarians and Tea Party members are nothing but Conservative Republicans in a different costume. They try to claim they are some sort of "Third Party Independent," but when they cast their vote or endorse politicians it's almost always a Republican they support. Sort of like some Liberal Green Party voters who still support Democrats. It's a joke.

He's a Libertarian? Yeah, well so is Ron Paul and Glenn Beck.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by goldcoin

There is more poverty now more than ever because there is nobody regulating wall street.

I have to respectfully disagree. There are MULTITUDES of regulations and regulators. The problem is that the regulatory climate has prompted those being regulated to buy off the regulators (who regulates the regulators, exactly? Are we going to hire regulatory agency regulators ad infinitum) and infiltrate the regulatory agencies to craft the regulations to their benefit so that they are insulated from fair competition by choking the life out of upstarts or making the fines just big enough that only the big dogs can afford to pay and shrug them off, etc.

Then you've got the SEC destroying case evidence, and "terrorist attacks" conveniently doing the same.

The problem is not a lack of regulation, the problem is people desiring so much regulation have enabled such to turn against them by way of organized corruption - there are no 'untouchables' anymore. You see this in all sorts of other big business scenarios, too.

Proper causes of poverty include, in addition to stifling and counterproductive regulations killing small business: our prison-industrial complex and complicit judicial systems, government waste and inefficiency resulting in so much money taken from the people to no valid benefit TO the people, idiotic prohibitionary tendencies preventing various new industries and products (read: job and wealth production) from being induced, government/insurance involvement in healthcare driving up costs while driving down efficiency, fractional reserve banking and interest rate manipulation by the Federal Reserve, and a range of other things.

Wall Street does not play a significant part in it otherwise, beyond the regulatory climate favoring the bigs and harming the common people. At least, if they do, I'd like to see a clear analysis and explanation of how exactly this occurs beyond what bit I've mentioned here regarding the regulatory corruption.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Libertarians are the same breed as conservatives, except they worship Ayn Rand. They consider conservatives close allies in the political field and tend to vote republican. I don't get what the point of saying that was.

What exactly are we supposed to prove wrong? Go sit on a sidewalk looking homeless? What exactly did he prove?
edit on 6-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To me, Stossel proved that, if a serious chaotic anarchic shtf went down, he better have a good hiding place for a long time. Ya know? His money is in banks too.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What a jerk!!!!

In my community we actually try to help the homeless reestablish themselves. I live close to the VA in LOs Angeles/Santa Monica. We have tons of homeless people around here.

There is this one corner convenience store on my block. The owner speaks very little english and comes across sorta rude. (he's not it's just due to his poor english) So i was always a little put off by the guy. Then one day I noticed that half of his employees were homeless people. And he pays them a decent rate. I asked him because I notice these same guys after hours sleeping on the street what the deal was.

He said that he couldn't stand to see these people living on the street and wanted to help. THese homeless employees are professional, friendly and frankly o a good job. I've made friends with a few of them and always ask them about what's going on in their lives. They're decent people just sadly homeless. I don't even think most of them drink except for the occasional after work beer.

So you never can judge a book by it's cover. Before I had known better I used to leave that store thinking man what an asshole the owner was. Turned out I was dead wrong. Now these homeless individuals are living in local shelters. are able to buy toiletries, new clothes and food. THeir health has improved and so has their outlook on life. I honestly think a few of them will make it. One has even gotten himself a room for rent and is now off the streets. Still works hard everyday and still high fives me whenever I see him.

So in short this TV personality is a major a-hole for making fun of the homeless. BTW I was homeless for a few months in Boston a little over a decade ago. In the Winter. I will never insult or make fun of a homeless man. It was very, very hard. I even got a few grey hairs just from the stress during that short time and I was in my 20's. Being homeless is very hard. believe me, and that was just for a few months.

I won't even get into what real starvation and hunger feels like, and to simply watch people blow you off as they walked by. Having no idea that you looked like such crap because you were so hungry you could barely lift your head. They just assumed I was a drunk bum. People often claim that they are starving. I doubt it. Starve for real and tell me if missing a meal or two was anywhere close to the agony having no food or calories for 72 hours over and over for weeks at a time.

Be nice to the receptive homeless they are good people. Just in a very very bad spot.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Be nice to the receptive homeless they are good people. Just in a very very bad spot.

I read your entire post but this bit puts it all in a nutshell. I sincerely wish we could all discard the crap we have been told, indeed taught by our "betters," and embrace our true humanity. We have evolved to help one another, to see this simple fact in front of our faces, "There but for the grace of God go I." Putting aside the religious message the moral message is clear, "I too, like someone seen to have suffered misfortune, might have suffered a similar fate."

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

This shows the kind of audience they pander to.

Remember, Fox news isn't just filmed as they go, they have focus groups, demographic research, just like every other broadcaster.

I actually find it pretty disgusting that there are sick people like this preaching their insanity to the idiot masses.

Once again, Fox is exposed as a nut case right-wing broadcaster, so ignorant to the realities of society.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

“Yes, we are turning into a nation of freeloaders,” Stossel told the co-hosts of Fox & Friends on Thursday. “Because you feel like a sucker if you’re not when government keeps offering you stuff.”

Always easy for a guy making 6 figures to say things like this, isnt it?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PeterWiggin

Well wallstreet caused the financial crash of 2008 through derivatives, which left a lot of people homeless. There are no regulations on derivatives. But the do indeed buy off the regulators because the law was bread for failure.

But there’s another entirely different, hidden way to trade derivatives: one that isn’t open, isn’t regulated and is a way bigger market (some say $600 trillion) than the regulated exchanges that trade commodities. This hidden trading contributed to the near-collapse of our financial system a couple of years back.

The now-infamous AIG was one of many private companies that traded in derivatives by creating custom-designed and highly complex contracts, often taking the other side of the bet. It was a strategy that made the company a lot of money – until something unforeseen happened, namely a collapse in the housing market.

www.moneytalksnews.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Getting a free ride?

What is he, sick, or just mentally absent?

What free ride? Mentally ill or diabled and starving? Yeah, what a great gig! Why didn't I think of that?

Look. If you want to be a stubborn, greedy, cold hearted sonuva bitch, then be my guest. Do not, however, try to dissuade others from being caring and humane.
Give me a break.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

He claims you can make 80 grand a year, although this is assuming you work, er, I mean beg, 24 hours a day.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PeterWiggin

Wall Street does not play a significant part in it otherwise, beyond the regulatory climate favoring the bigs and harming the common people. At least, if they do, I'd like to see a clear analysis and explanation of how exactly this occurs beyond what bit I've mentioned here regarding the regulatory corruption.
are you joking at this point ??
while i agree with the majority of your post, why stop here ?

are you over-looking Congressional insider trading?
speculators manipulating consumer prices, automated dumps causing severe fluctuations, commodity manipulations (gold/silver), what else am i missing ? i know there's more.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join