It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pollution in Hong Kong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I have to say the pollution here is terrible it never improved, I was taking a bus journey which passes the horbour i looked up into the sky to see if i could see the top of thye tallest building in Hong Konbg (MTR Tower) hell i couldnt even see half of it. Hong Kong has had many campaigns against pollutiion but all have failed the public dont seem to realise the importance. sad very sad

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Drunk,

Is it worse under the China government? I was in HK in the late 70's and it was pretty bad IMHO. Whats the major source?

FredT

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Nowt to do with the govt just the people of Hong Kong dont give a mokeys really i reckon pollution would clear up under the mainland govt cos they are stricter when it comes to laws and rules, H.K govt is far too lenient.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Nowt to do with the govt just the people of Hong Kong dont give a mokeys really i reckon pollution would clear up under the mainland govt cos they are stricter when it comes to laws and rules, H.K govt is far too lenient.

BTW congrats on the promo you will enjoy it! i did when i was a mod.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
BTW congrats on the promo you will enjoy it! i did when i was a mod.

Thanks Drunk! Its been fun so far!

E_T

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Same is going to happen in many Chinese cities because people want own car to help in making of bigger traffic jams, amount of cars in there is increasing dramatically.
Also in there driving license means license to kill, drivers don't have to care anything and pedestrians and cyclists don't have any rights.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
From what i understand hong kong means fragrant harbour...

Is that true?

Really smelly from what i can remember of it...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
From what i understand hong kong means fragrant harbour...

Is that true?

Really smelly from what i can remember of it...

Thats why it was called fragrant harbour, thery copuld have called it Smelly Harbour but that wouldnt have gone down with tourists and no it isnt smelly noe well not as much!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Drunk,

Is it worse under the China government? I was in HK in the late 70's and it was pretty bad IMHO. Whats the major source?

FredT

its cars....i lived there till i was 4

that small little island is filled with cars lots and lots of them

millions and even billions of cars fill up the island every day

there are always traffic jams and all the factories and whatsoever is crammed into one small island and causes all this pollution

that is why they build that new tunnel

also the garbage dumb place (keep forgetting what its called) is right next to hong kong island

you couldve just been there on a cloudy day, i dunno

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well, just look at this pollution map:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

China has the worst pollution on the planet.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000

its cars....i lived there till i was 4

that small little island is filled with cars lots and lots of them

millions and even billions of cars fill up the island every day

there are always traffic jams and all the factories and whatsoever is crammed into one small island and causes all this pollution

that is why they build that new tunnel

also the garbage dumb place (keep forgetting what its called) is right next to hong kong island

you couldve just been there on a cloudy day, i dunno

You've summed it up pretty acurately where abouts did you live?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
ouch i never noticed that

but a country with a little over 1 billion people its not a surprise

theyre like the walmart of the world producing more goods than most countries cheaply and affordable

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
H.K's pollution is bad dunno bout China's though

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i used to live in umm.....west wan or sai wan

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Save Karen Mok and Sammi Cheng!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
i used to live in umm.....west wan or sai wan

Thats cool that part of H.K is not so polluted cos it isnt in the heart of Hong Kong.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Save Karen Mok and Sammi Cheng!

Karen Mok is a good actress as for Sammi i hate cantopop.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I would guess that China will follow Japan in making the changes to curb the polution levels in Hong Kong and mainland but it may take a while due to the explosive growth in industry there. On the other hand China has an oppertunity to stave off new pollution by adopting technologies already available. An overall picture of China's industry shows that of the current plants operating, for more of them are younger that 5 to 10 years, while the US and other parts of the world the plants are 10 to 20 years or older.

We here in the US have a major polution problem in most major cities and the north-eastern region too!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Thing is though Hong Kong dont realise how bad the pollution actually, despite campaigns and adverts on T.V the govt effort has fallen on deaf ears its sad really, i also dont see the point in owning a car in Hong Kong cos their is plenty of public transport available.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
slightly off the subject but a couple of years ago there was a programme about dumping hong kongs waste into containment pens off the coast and then building golf courses on top of them,the released fumes were exited through tall ventilation pipes dotted around the course,any one remember that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join