It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook, WE NEED a new website sensation!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'm unsure of the what the consequences are now because I have signed up for facebook, and have been registered for a few years now. Just say, I may want to delete my facebook account permanently, does this get rid of all information that has been on my wall and all messages from account if I ask for a deletion of my account (not a deactivation, if this is possible)?. Or alternatively does facebook store all this information on their servers even though the account has been deleted? It concerns me, that they might still have access to this information, for further unknown reasons: data mining etc.
Facebook use for me, is about keeping in contact with friends that I am unable to see on a monthly basis. Unfortunately, i have been exposed to a lot more privacy issues from the media, and have only just noticed the other day that facebook was taken down for a while because of some privacy issues:

"Facebook quickly pulled a new feature which uses the GPS signal in modern phones to help you find friends - and potential new friends - nearby".
Link Below to article:
Link

For the best of society and social norms and a whole lot more, I really hope facebook dies, in the way that myspace fell of the edge of a cliff. I can't predict what will happen, but I'm hoping for a new website sensation that will sweep the public by it's feet, just as facebook did to myspace.

If anyone could answer my question it would be of much appreciated. cheers

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I was on facebook and tried to completely delete everything but was told by FB that I can only shut it down, they own everything posted on facebook and will not delete your account.
Star and flag because if someone knows how to delete a FB account please post here.
People post way to much personal info on FB and it is now common practice for employers to look at your FB page to see what you post.
It will not die because the sheeple will always want to know when people go and have a poo etc

edit on 28-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahibelieve

hi there

im also on the verge of deleting my fb account... but i've done a bit of research on it and it seems fairly difficult to actually delete your entire account...

also you are given 2 options - 1) you can either deactivate your account which means no other facebook users can see your info (it also means you can reactivate it should you want to)
2) you can delete your account - im not entirely sure that if you delete your account, your information will be totally wiped... im sure that facebook has a back up of your information somewhere... but you can go through and painstakingly delete everything from facebook yourself... but again i do not know if that information is permanently deleted...

i managed to find a blog a while ago by a guy who was in the process of trying to delete his account, but was having some troubles doing so... as you need facebook's help to delete all your information, and they will do their dam best to convince you not to leave.... sadly i cant find his blog at the mo....
if you do want to delete you account, then after clicking on the right buttons etc i think you have to wait 2 weeks without logging in at all...!! which is just a way of testing people to see if they have enough self control NOT to log in - cheeky bums if i say so....

ive found a couple of articles for you and hope they help... i will do some more research later and try to find that blog for you...

www.zdnet.com...

karlfrankjr.com...

heresthethingblog.com...

hubze.com...

arstechnica.com...

newsfeed.time.com...

i think its definitely worth a good bit of research before you go and delete your account, so you can be sure that your information has been entirely wiped...

however, no matter if they do say that your info has been wiped, i doubt it has, im sure they keep all the info anyway

hope this helps and good luck...!

oh and if you really want another social networking site try DIASPORA* - im on it and i think its far better, you dont need to fill in any info about yourself... works better for sure

joindiaspora.com...
edit on 28-6-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It not only stored all my information after deleting, when I signed on to my "de-activated" account to get some of my old photos, several months after "de-activating" it, I found that people had still been able to try and send me messages and things like that even though there is no chance I could have answered or even read them...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

It not only stored all my information after deleting, when I signed on to my "de-activated" account to get some of my old photos, several months after "de-activating" it, I found that people had still been able to try and send me messages and things like that even though there is no chance I could have answered or even read them...

I do believe you can delete the account but you have to contact the staff directly and jump through a bunch of hoops.

When I deactivated my alternate account, it clearly states that they account will stay there, unactive, until you try to log in again. I believe, but am not sure 100%, that there was an option to have it block anyone from posting or continuing to contact you.

As for that geolocation tool, it's much like the google plus "nearby" feature. At least with the facebook one you have to opt in for it to work, google plus on my phone is already showing me local strangers posts (that are public mind you) but I don't see anywhere for me to opt in or out of it.

The facebook app wasn't even officially announced by facebook, and they didn't take facebook down because of that. You have to sign up for it, once you do, if you enabled geolocation on your phone, you will appear to others nearby also using the feature.

Sure, it's a stalking app no doubt, but it's not like they secretly activated it for everyone (yet, given time I know they would have by "mistake").

Honestly. I don't get everyone's problem with facebook, yes, they constantly leak your data, constantly reset and modify the security settings and privacy settings...

But, who the hell is putting anything on a massive website that is free, and is clearly a datamining operation, that they wouldn't want archived? I just don't get it. Most of the information and connections on my facebook are completely pointless and useless for anything other than me keeping in contact with people.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Delete FB

I think its fairly straightforward.
I followed the steps on the link above noted below - and other users can no longer see my account, is showing as deleted.
Cannot message me, cannot link to me. Cannot find me on a search. Account deleted.
It really is not that difficult I never understand why people think it is to be honest?

How do I permanently delete my account?

If you deactivate your account, your profile (timeline) disappears from the Facebook service immediately. People on Facebook won't be able to search for you, though some info, like messages you sent, may still be visible to others. We also save your profile (timeline) information (ex: friends, photos, interests, etc.) in case you want to come back.

If you don't think you'll use Facebook again, you can request to have your account permanently deleted.
Please keep in mind that you won't be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you've added. Before you do this, you may want to download a copy of your info from Facebook. Then, if you'd like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, log in to your account and fill out this form.
If you can't log in to your account, you'll need to reset your password first. To do this, go to www.facebook.com and click the Forgot your password? link below the password field. Once you’ve followed the instructions to reset your password and can log into your account, you can deactivate or delete your account using the steps outlined above.

Go ahead and do it - I haven't regretted it at all

new topics

top topics

join