It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White professor discusses white privilege in America.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think that the concept of White Privilege was developed by University professors to explain away the the achievement gaps that persist between "White" people and African Americans.

If White Privilege really exists then how do you explain the success of Asian Americans. They out perform Whites on just about any testable parameter.

African Americans lag behind White's in all the educational testing. It's been this way since LBJ came up with his plans for the Great Society. Back then, he was going to end poverty by increasing spending on welfare programs. It didn't work.

Since that time, educators have been coming up with idea after idea to close this racial divide. Magnet schools, special academies, new schools, highly paid teachers. No one has of yet figured out the magic bullet that will allow African Americans to perform in schools at the same level as their White peers..... Therefore it is white privilege. You can't measure it, you can't see it, but that must be the reason that explains the difference in educational outcomes.

link   
As a white, male, chirstian I am not blind to the fact that white , christian , males have dominated the world and persucuted many races through out history.
The fact is this is and has always been a select group of people. Just because any person is white, male and christian does not automaticly make them a member.It does not mean they made the rules or even agree with the rules and laws that govern us all. This whole arguement and debate only widens the gap between races.
Divide and Conquer is so old yet so effective. Until people see through this illusion and focus on the real issue and those who are really responsable ,divide and conquer, will always keep them incharge and the people divided.

link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
No, there is no "white privilege" in the US. There used to be decades ago (even though there shouldn't have been), but not any more. Whites are put down, shut out, belittled and made to feel guilty these days for simply being white. There are no advantages whatsoever to being white, and in fact it is often argued that there are disadvantages. I'm not saying that this is wrong or right, it's just an observation from someone who grew up in the 60's and has witnessed a major change in the US in his lifetime. The way I look at it a balance is being sought and it's still going to take a while for it to sort itself out.

you cant be serious, sir....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Why don't black people feel black guilt? I mean, they do commit most of the murders in the US, even though they are a minority population.

They should just quit buying guns, or maybe they should outlaw it amongst themselves.

why the race hate my friend...was this even necessary??

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Why are you all fighting?

Like little kids. SMDH.

What the op said is true. Its not a bad thing. And not all white experiance it, but its true.

Every race has an inherant responsibility to fix its issue. To work towards one common fair goal as a species.

The op dropped some heavy info. Seems hard to chew by some.

We all could use a good dose of reality based truth.

Individual responsibility, and integrity to save us all.

I'll meet you half way as a person. If you meet me the same.

Dare i suggest we the people can fix us....... I believe so.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
As a white, male, chirstian I am not blind to the fact that white , christian , males have dominated the world and persucuted many races through out history.
The fact is this is and has always been a select group of people. Just because any person is white, male and christian does not automaticly make them a member.It does not mean they made the rules or even agree with the rules and laws that govern us all. This whole arguement and debate only widens the gap between races.
Divide and Conquer is so old yet so effective. Until people see through this illusion and focus on the real issue and those who are really responsable ,divide and conquer, will always keep them incharge and the people divided.

as far as the bolded, is it safe to say that religion is a major factor in the division??

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77If White Privilege really exists then how do you explain the success of Asian Americans. They out perform Whites on just about any testable parameter.

Dont forget immigrants from Africa as well

www.examiner.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
lol @ white people acting like discrimination against minorities suddenly ceased to exist

You say that as though black people aren't the most racist when it comes down to it... look at the headlines currently for god sake! You have the leader of the black panther group threatening to burn down and start a revolution in Detroit because of his claim that it's all the white man.

Why is there even a black panther group anymore? NAACP not enough? I've never seen so many sympathizer's.. it's crazy.

Let's not forget the bounty he PUBLICLY put out on Zimmerman's head. Zimmerman's not even fully caucasian but who's getting the brunt of all this drama? White's.

If the KKK or some other white supremacy group got on TV and said any of those things there would have been a huge crack down.

Most places avoid disciplining a black person at a job in fear for a law suit, white people just get fired no trial, no jury... fired.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Illegitiminoncarborundum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Illegitiminoncarborundum

Do you live in a fantasy world? You really think that white people are a minority in the USA?

White Hispanic and Latino Americans are citizens and residents of the United States who are racially White and ethnically Hispanic or Latino.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

White Americans (non-Hispanic/Latino and Hispanic/Latino) are the racial majority, with an 72% share of the U.S. population, per 2010 US Census.[6] Hispanic and Latino Americans compose 15% of the population, making up the largest ethnic minority.[5] Black Americans are the largest racial minority, composing nearly 13% of the population.[4][6] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population comprises 66% of the nation's total.[5]

White Americans are the majority in every region,[4] but comprise the highest proportion of the population in the Midwestern United States, at 85% per the PEP,[4] or 83% per the ACS.[6] Non-Hispanic Whites make up 79% of the Midwest's population, the highest ratio of any region.[5] However, 35% of White Americans (whether all White Americans or non-Hispanic/Latino only) live in the South, the most of any region.[4][5]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by beatbox

Originally posted by satron
Why don't black people feel black guilt? I mean, they do commit most of the murders in the US, even though they are a minority population.

They should just quit buying guns, or maybe they should outlaw it amongst themselves.

why the race hate my friend...was this even necessary??

It's not race hate, I'm putting the view point of the professor you've base a thread on in a different prospective.

Sounds silly, doesn't it?

edit on 13-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Let me ask you a question.. why are you countering my source on Page 1 with Wikipedia? You do understand that Wiki is not considered credible right? In fact, when you write a college paper Wikipedia is 99.9% of the time considered invalid information.

White's Account for Under Half of Births in U.S.

Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 49.6 percent of all births in the 12-month period that ended last July, according to Census Bureau data made public on Thursday, while minorities — including Hispanics, blacks, Asians and those of mixed race — reached 50.4 percent, representing a majority for the first time in the country’s history.

Here's yet another source.. evidently my BBC source earlier on in this thread is't enough for you. Ok, so if both of my sources are wrong, where are they getting their info from then? I guess they all don't know about Wikipedia

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Perhaps I am just blind but I don't see any advantage to being white in my own life. Infact, I see a lot of other races with programs and holidays specifically designed for them but I see no such thing for white people. I'm not saying there aren't advantages....there may very well be but I've never seen them directly. Like, maybe I got a job because I'm white or maybe I get paid more in a position because I'm white but if that's true I've never been told. So I disagree.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Illegitiminoncarborundum

Well we can see a clear case of MSM brainwashing here.

The New Black Panther Party has like 20 people in it. I don't really understand why you are paying any attention to them. I still don't understand how you generalize a whole race based on 20 people. Do people still pay attention to the KKK? No. I personally think they are paid agent provocateurs but that's just my theory.

I could pull quotes from racist white people too. Who cares? I'm intelligent enough to realize all of them aren't white supremacists.

Most places avoid disciplining a black person at a job in fear for a law suit, white people just get fired no trial, no jury... fired.

Nah, You'd certainly have a case if your boss was another race.
edit on 13-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

May I have your attention, please...

Good. This is a good time to remind you all that ATS is first and foremost a conspiracy site and that speculation -- no matter how outrageous -- plays an important role in that.

This great site of ours has been built on the cornerstone of civility and decorum. As members, we are free to discuss any issue as long as it within the parameters of the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when registering with this site.

On that note, please confine your remarks to the issue at hand and refrain from attacking one another. Adherence to this simple request is expected. No exceptions.

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

Consider this fair warning.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86
reply to post by beatbox

Perhaps I am just blind but I don't see any advantage to being white in my own life. Infact, I see a lot of other races with programs and holidays specifically designed for them but I see no such thing for white people. I'm not saying there aren't advantages....there may very well be but I've never seen them directly. Like, maybe I got a job because I'm white or maybe I get paid more in a position because I'm white but if that's true I've never been told. So I disagree.

this isn't about "programs and holidays" my friend...

it could be as simple as you just not wanting to acknowledge it...its your choice to ignore but it definitely exists..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I am aware that the media brainwashes the masses; however, reporting the 2012 census of the U.S. is far from it. Not everything released by the MSM is controlled.

I'm not really trying to gear this debate towards racism, I'm really trying to point out the fact that our society is apprehensive to responding to reverse racism.

White people avoid a racial confrontation at all costs you and I both know this
When a black person says "It's because I'm black, isn't it?" is all it takes these days.. and that's sad.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
My parents and grandparents built a life in a world of white privilidge. They had better education, better resources, and better employment opportunities. Remember, they were making their way during the 50s and 60s. Jim Crow was very much in effect at that time.

Today, I still benefit from the extra opportunities my parents enjoyed. It's impossible to state otherwise. So even if racism has diminished (and that's debatable), we need to realize the basic fact that yes, there was such a thing as white privilidge and it influenced a lot of our lives.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
My parents and grandparents built a life in a world of white privilidge. They had better education, better resources, and better employment opportunities. Remember, they were making their way during the 50s and 60s. Jim Crow was very much in effect at that time.

Today, I still benefit from the extra opportunities my parents enjoyed. It's impossible to state otherwise. So even if racism has diminished (and that's debatable), we need to realize the basic fact that yes, there was such a thing as white privilidge and it influenced a lot of our lives.

do you believe its still lingering today??

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If black people had all the opportunities that other races didn't have, would it be their responsibility to make sure they had the same opportunities everyone had, based on race alone?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Id have more time for this idiot if he understood that its more to do with how much money your family has than what colour you are.

If you're poor and white you probably have less chance of going to university than probably anyone else...cos no one gives a damn...college is full of rich white folks, so why bother with the trailer trash?

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join