It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albino bats in the UK?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hi guys how rare are albino bats? And are they even supposed to exist in the UK? a few days ago i was in the garden with my girlfriend at around 11pm so it wasn't that dark yet when we heard something struggling in a tree with a bird then it flew out towards us so obviously we looked around and noticed a albino bat that was between 1 and 2 foot wide. Im not sure how big bats are but this was a big f****r and it was so close i had to duck because it nearly hit my head then it flew into a big tree in my neighbours garden, we kept trying to find it in the tree but conifers are hard to spot objects in.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Hey well spotted!
This dude has taken some pics of one in the UK:

www.talkwildlife.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Hey well spotted!
This dude has taken some pics of one in the UK:

www.talkwildlife.com...

Thank you that picture validates what i witnessed, i thought it was weird to have a white body and gray wings. At first i thought it was a dove but when it nearly hit me i got a very close up look and thats exactly it

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Nice one-You are lucky to have seen it-I have loads of bats living in my roof and in the nearby woods,but I have never seen an albino.They must be really rare-maybe because they can be seen easily by owls in the dark?

Look out for it again.

Edit:
Oh by the way-you can get something called a "bat detector" from Amazon which listens to bats,and then converted the sounds to within human hearing.They are about £60,and you can plug them into recording devices.
I only heard about it this morning on Radio4-they had David Gower(the cricket guy)listening to bats with his detector.
You can distinguish different species according to their sounds.

Pretty cool,I may get one one day.
www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339256084&sr=8-1

edit on 9/6/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: bat detector info

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Cool thanks for the info =) can the albino bat be more than 1 species? because whatever nearly hit me was very big for a bat

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I think most kinds of mammals can be albino.
If it was a big bat you saw, it may have been a noctule-the largest UK bat is the noctule-with a hefty 16inch wingspan!
They are rare enough,but an albino one of those would be a media worthy event IMO-get your local paper on the case maybe.

A bat expert brings a bat out from a nest box for Bill Oddie to see. It is a female noctule bat, the biggest British bat, though despite a wingspan of 16 inches she in reality quite small - big long wings but a tiny body! The bat boxes have been put up to give the bats a helping hand, because habitat loss means there are fewer natural roost sites for them.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Good list of bat UK native bat species on wiki here as well:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Ok thanks for all the help man
sorry it took so long to reply. Well whatever species it was it was fighting with a bird in a tree and i didnt know they did that?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No worries,some replies can take months round here.
Hmm,never heard of that before-could be it accidentally disturbed a nest and got attacked by a parent bird .
Maybe the bat saw/heard some juicy bugs too close to the nest for the bird's comfort.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Possibly but whatever happened it was a loud noise lol, ive just been in my garden again and it was in a conifer my gf noticed it near the top then it flew off into a tree 3 houses away

join