It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prop 8 headed for Supreme Court, Gay Marriage on the Horizon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
usnews.msnbc.msn.com... me-court?lite/

The final step.... After this, Gay Marriage will be a FACT instead of a DREAM for the homosexual Americans. The homophobic will no longer be able to deny fellow citizens the RIGHT to be married to the adult spouse of their choice.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It's about DAMN time!!!

I'm sick of seeing the bigotry holding down my fellow citizens!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
i have no problem with people marrying who they want and i'm sure the legal profession will enjoy the new income source when relations go sour when its divorce time as all i want from equality is that when things go bad everyone suffers the same as me
edit on 5-6-2012 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Now all we need is an overdue natural disaster for religious idiots to pin on the "godless".

Its gonna be real fun watching them put that noose around their necks.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well, if it pans out, congratulations.
Although I think it would be best if a Law would be sanctioned by the congress (as it happened in my country) because the subject of same-sex marriage may need to address several previous laws.
I must declare, though, that I have no idea if things work different there from here.
Here we had to modify what is called the "Civilian Code" which is a set of laws that regulate this sort of stuff.
Recently not only same-sex marriage was legalized here, now trans-sexuals can CHANGE their gender in their DNIs (National Document of Identity, sort of a Social Security number) to suit their perceived gender.
Good news for (a part of north-)america if this works.

edit on 5/6/2012 by drakus because: married and marriage are two different words, duh...

edit on 5/6/2012 by drakus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The msnbc story says the issue will Likely go to the Supreme Court.

It hasn't yet.

But it should.

Prop 8 backers appealed the ruling to the full 9th Circuit, which on Tuesday declined to review it with a larger panel of 11 judges. That clears the way for Prop 8 backers to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. They have 90 days to do so.

This only would affect California ..... right?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
usnews.msnbc.msn.com... me-court?lite/

The final step.... After this, Gay Marriage will be a FACT instead of a DREAM for the homosexual Americans. The homophobic will no longer be able to deny fellow citizens the RIGHT to be married to the adult spouse of their choice.

We don't really know yet.

I believe there is 90 days for NOM to challenge. If they do it could go to the USSC. Also the USSC could reject it as it is only (technically) one state.

If NOM does not challenge - - - in 90 days Gay Marriage in CA becomes legal again.

Will NOM take the chance of losing the 31 states that voted against gay marriage? As the USSC could declare a Federal Marriage Act.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
They've insinuated they were going to push it forward, but of course, they could do the total opposite

Frank Schubert, political director for the National Organization for Marriage, a key backer and principal funder of Prop 8, said that's where the legal showdown will ultimately be resolved.

“We’re very, very confident in our position on Prop 8 that it is a properly enacted constitutional amendment well within the rights of the people of California to enact, and we are looking forward to that issue going to the U.S. Supreme Court because we are confident that we’ll win it there,” he told reporters on a conference call before the appeals court announcement. “The sooner it can get there the better as far as we’re concerned.”

An attorney for the ban supporters said that his team was preparing for the next round.

Personally, I feel that all people deserve the right to be as miserable as the rest of us

edit on 5-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

They've insinuated they were going to push it forward, but of course, they could do the total opposite

Frank Schubert, political director for the National Organization for Marriage, a key backer and principal funder of Prop 8, said that's where the legal showdown will ultimately be resolved.

“We’re very, very confident in our position on Prop 8 that it is a properly enacted constitutional amendment well within the rights of the people of California to enact, and we are looking forward to that issue going to the U.S. Supreme Court because we are confident that we’ll win it there,” he told reporters on a conference call before the appeals court announcement. “The sooner it can get there the better as far as we’re concerned.”

An attorney for the ban supporters said that his team was preparing for the next round.

Personally, I feel that all people deserve the right to be as miserable as the rest of us

OK.

I know the 2 pro-gay lawyers intended from the beginning to go all the way to the USSC.

They are confident this is the time and Equality will become Federal Law.

Not all gays are supportive. Many feel they will loose the rights they have now they've fought so hard for.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Marriage should have absolutely nothing to do with any government.

Marriage is about two ( or more
) people exchanging personal vows of commitment.

There's no way that people who ''legally'' marry should gain any kind of advantage or privilege.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Marriage is about two (or more :duh
people exchanging personal vows of commitment.

There's no way that people who ''legally'' marry should gain any kind of advantage or privilege.

I agree that it would do away with the entire debate and give the same status to all. I would support that if it becomes an option.
Then the churches could perform marriages without the marriage license, there would be no "stimulus" or special priveleges given to the married people, so it would be between them and them alone without anyone suffering or benefiting from it.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I don't think gays should get preferential treatment by not being allowed to marry.

Why should they be spared the misery we hetero's experience in the institution of marriage; divorce, child custody battles, scumbag lawyers, courts, judges, who gets the dog, and the hateful acrimony after the split.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
I don't think gays should get preferential treatment by not being allowed to marry.

Why should they be spared the misery we hetero's experience in the institution of marriage; divorce, child custody battles, scumbag lawyers, courts, judges, who gets the dog, and the hateful acrimony after the split.

They already have all that.

Without legal protection.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Marriage is about two ( or more
) people exchanging personal vows of commitment.

Wrong.

NO ONE is required to be Legally Married.

NO ONE is forcing anyone to be Legally Married.

TWO people who want to exchange VOWS and not have a Legal Marriage can.

ONLY HETERO couples have the choice of a LEGAL GOVERNMENT MARRIAGE. That's discrimination.

EVERYONE must have the same right to LEGAL GOVERNMENT MARRIAGE - - - as that is how our society stands TODAY.

NOT - - - whether we should have it or not.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree that it would do away with the entire debate and give the same status to all. I would support that if it becomes an option.

BUT - - what we do have right now is discriminatory. That must be corrected before anything else.

Not having a Legal Government Marriage - - is a completely different discussion

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

OK.

I know the 2 pro-gay lawyers intended from the beginning to go all the way to the USSC.

They are confident this is the time and Equality will become Federal Law.

Not all gays are supportive. Many feel they will loose the rights they have now they've fought so hard for.

that would be quite possible. The Supreme Court could go either way. They're winning at the moment, but it could change...or they could continue to win. interesting to see what the result will be.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

BUT - - what we do have right now is discriminatory. That must be corrected before anything else.

Agreed. Equality needs to be addressed. Perhaps after the Prop 8 battle, the Supreme Court could make a decision on the subject for all the states? Would they be able to do that or would there have to be an actual case brought to them about it?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Agreed. Equality needs to be addressed. Perhaps after the Prop 8 battle, the Supreme Court could make a decision on the subject for all the states? Would they be able to do that or would there have to be an actual case brought to them about it?

Honestly - - it pisses me off when a poster tries to derail this straight forward Equal Rights issue - - - to government shouldn't be involved in peoples personal lives.

It is a completely different discussion.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You're assuming it will pass.

Never assume anything.

I know at least one of them will vote against it, and i'm going to say Scalia.

He is a very religious man with a conservative ideology.

Plus Scalia opposes the idea of a living Constitution, one that changes it's mean in order to better represent the current era.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Honestly - - it pisses me off when a poster tries to derail this straight forward Equal Rights issue - - - to government shouldn't be involved in peoples personal lives.

It is a completely different discussion.

yeah, it is, I see what you're saying... I'm a bit distracted tonight and not "into it" as much as I usually am as far as the conversations.... rain is moving in and my pain level is horrible (lupus flare coming)
... it may be good for me to take a nap!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join