It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Sickening. Designer Sneakers made of custom order stingrays!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
are people really firing out stars and flags and comments when we can't even read the story?

this is a little ridiculous.

That's why its not really a discussion about the article so much as it is a dicussion about the general idea of using animals for resources and a bit about genetically altering the animals.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Just another example of how completely detached we are from nature. Shame on us.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Who cares? Most all shoes are made of cows already anyway. Why not do a thread on that? I'm hungry.

edit on 31-5-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It's just a matter of time before Nike comes out with a $1600 pair of Stingray Jordans. And you think I'm kidding Hahaha... (should've kept that one between myself and my trademark attorney)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Just another example of how completely detached we are from nature. Shame on us.

I mean when one wears stingray shoes, that would be actually connecting to nature, as opposed to wearing synthetics.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
it is an extravagance, but i'm more against the DNA manipulation of a creature than turning them into shoes.

you don't go over to someone else's house and start rearranging things.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

Oh yeah?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

it is an extravagance, but i'm more against the DNA manipulation of a creature than turning them into shoes.

As long as they are not releasing them back into the wild after the manipulation, I don't see a problem. It isn't just stingrays, we are doing DNA manipulation on tons of things. Making frogs glow in the dark, creating designer fish that illuminate, etc., etc. They even have designer DNA for humans now, but I don't know if anyone is actually trying it yet, but the science is there, and the procedure will probably be mainstream within a decade or two.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

i know, i just don't think it is right nor wise. no one can predict the consequences.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

i know, i just don't think it is right nor wise. no one can predict the consequences.

I'll think there'll be major snafus in all of this. It's not just switching from one fuel additive to another. It's setting off a chain of events that aren't necessarily 100% under control.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.rayfish.com... link should work this time

from what ive read on their site it seems that they farm the sting rays and have done so for a long time and hey they say its organic so cant be all that bad

www.rayfish.com... and this link will let you design/grow your own sneekers it seems dont see what all the hubub is about this as at least they seem to be going about it in a environmentally friendly way

www.rayfish.com... and if you would like to complain here ya go a nice little link for ya

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I have a theory that the company is secretly founded by Steve Erwins kin.

Take that you damned bloody stingrays. you shoes now. I step on you all I want.

JK. adding to the tastlessness of the stingray shoe product.

Although I do wonder as to the quality of the skins. Hows stingray leather for a fabric? I dunno. I've seen shark skin suits. probably very similar. I know in real life Stingrays are very soft. Like lambskin.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yeah I got me a new pair for boxing, they really do help you float like a butter fly and sting like a bee.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There's a reason these are "designer"...the wealthy can afford them, but we can't. That means of all the wealthy people in the world, less than half of them will be interested in wearing these. Which means most of the stingrays will be spared.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
[link removed]

Custom DNA Skin Sneakers

A new footwear company is customising the skin of living stingrays to make $1,800 bespoke sneakers. RayFish Footwear enables customers 'grow' their own stingray by having scientists mix and match DNA from several different species, breeding unique patterns and colours in their skin. The company claims to have perfected the genetic modification of stingrays, which has been met with both skepticism and disgust from PETA and bioengineering scientists. Read more: dailymail.co.uk

First mink, now stingrays? Whats next kittens? I refuse to believe that this is done out of necessity but rather it is extravagance, opulence and arrogance just so you could go to a cocktail party with some rich schmoozers and talk about your custom order sneakers. These sneakers are made from mixing and matching genetic traits to your specifications. We are not far off from designer babies as well.
edit on 023131p://5America/ChicagoThu, 31 May 2012 02:43:50 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: link fix

edit on Thu May 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: two links have NOTHING to do with the topic......attempt to finx thired link

so using cows for leather for normal sneakers is OK tho...hmmm
which is more intelligent and thus more able to sense suffering... stingray fish... or large bovine mammals...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I agree that is disgusting. What moron wants to wear stingrays on their feet. I used to be impressed by designer labels, no more. As long as the clothes and shoes are clean and neat looking, what difference does it make who designs them?

Half of the so-called "fashion" designers are designing hideous looking things to begin with anyway, Stuff I wouldn't wear to my own funeral. Look at the stilts women are walking around in, 50 years from now (if they're lucky to live that long) they're going to be complaining about foot and leg problem.

The whole thing is ridiculous, hundreds of dollars to be "fashionable". P.T. Barnum was right "There's a sucker born every minute."

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
wait, wait, wait! i have a caveat to add regarding my previous statement on genetic manipulation: if i can custom order some sharks with lasers, then i'm completely ok with that. but nothing else.

joking aside, once those genes get out there, you can't get them back. who knows how it will influence the animal kingdom.

take monsanto for instance, all their manipulation of plant species is very dangerous because there are an infinite amount of unknown variables that may have a negative impact on the whole planet.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
To EVERYONE in this thread who is "up in arms" over this...

are you REALLY that bloody hypocritical? ... you will (well, most of you) all gladly eat an animal without thinking, wear leather (in your shoes) and probably step on bugs when they scare you ... but someone making designer shoes from freaking fish hits a nerve?!?!

people have been making shoes from fish skin for ages! I seen a very dashing pair of salmon skinned trainers before and they looked brilliant.

the FISH in this case are reared by PEOPLE, the same way that PEOPLE rear animals to KILL , EAT and turn into a million products from anti aging cream to glue!

seriously, get off your high horses!

ps, the genetic argument is completly null and void scince they are being bred in captivity, away from the wild fish! The uproar in this thread is the usual ats forum knee jerk reaction to anything that can make an OP or replier feel like a better person for not doing it when in reality unless we are a vegan we all a part of animal killing...

you either are a part of animals dying, or you are not, faux arguments and self justifications like this are just complete bullcrap!

FOR THE RECORD, im one of those morons who would wear stingrey shoes as im not that self righteous that i can justify killing one animal for food or clothing as acceptable yet be completly disgusted about another animal dying!!!

edit on 31-5-2012 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Those shoes are awesome! I want the pair that looks like Nemo. What's the difference between this and breeding cows to be delicious? Breeding dogs to be small? It's just easier. I love the leather interior of my car, love my boots, my belt, my wallet, my holster, the lady friends fur coats. Also steak. It's a fish. I don't get the butthurt.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

hear hear!!

i love how you said it in a much more calculated and less aggressive way than i did dude heeheehee!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join