It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great-grandma: Ready to 'lose' my life protesting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
MSNBC

I LOVE this story. There's been quite a few articles making the rounds lately about the disconnect between our elderly and our youth and it's definitely a sad undertone coursing through society right now. The youth are blaming baby boomers for not seeing how the policies enacted during their prime would affect the current generations. The elderly see today's youth as nothing but selfish, entitled brats that have a total disregard for them and society in general.

While certainly examples of both aren't hard to find, is it really as bad as the media is making it out to be? I think it's simply another tool TPTB are using to keep us divided.

CHICAGO -- Nan Wigmore brought her walker and packed her sign, “Grateful Great Grandmas Circle The Wagons, Support Occupy,” and rode on a bus for some three days, sleeping in the same clothes, to make it to the NATO protests in Chicago.

The 75-year-old from Portland, Ore., says she couldn't imagine being anywhere else despite the discomfort of her journey.

“My feelings are too deep to keep me in my old comfortable place, so I had to learn some new things and that means to move out of my comfort zone,” Wigmore said as she sipped a hot chocolate late Friday after a few hundred protesters met at a downtown Chicago plaza in the lead-up to the two-day summit that begins Sunday

For her, there was nothing more important than being in Chicago protesting against NATO, calling for money to go to health care, for example, and not to war. She said she was “very serious” about her protesting and did not intend to stop.
“As a matter of fact, if I lose my life in the process of all this, it’s the best way I would let myself go,” she said.
And to those who may wonder why she is out on the streets protesting, she has a question of her own in turn: “I’d say, ‘Are you certain that everything is the way you want it?’

Beautiful. Thank-you, Granny.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
You go granny.
Some one still has it.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I think this is such an awesome story, really. As you pointed it out it shows that this is a movement for everyone not just the young.

I can only hope that in my older years that I can still find the spunk this woman has to stand up for what I really believe in. She's an inspiration to both young and old.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

It makes me a bit ashamed that I didn't go.

new topics

top topics

join