It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so much hate against people getting goverment assistance and handouts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Many people who get assistance from the government do work. The reason they need assistance is, that they can not make ends meet. Minimum wage simply did not keep track with inflation.

However the work of these, loser, slobs and slackers as many would like to see them, enables companies such as walmart McDonalds and many more to rake in big biiiig profits. In fact, low low wages, at home (Walmart, McDonals, Starbucks etc. ) or abroad (Apple) make the profits of most if not all the largest companies possible. So while these people do not pay taxes directly they anable the companies they work for to rake in a big taxable profit, if the company in question does pay taxes.

So, where is the problem if the people who make the big companies big and profitable see some of that money in the form of aid of some sort funded with taxdollars?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think the animosity is towards people who take advantage of the programs.
I have no problem with people getting what they need.
edit on 20-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have no problem with someone getting assistance temporarily as a stepping stone to better themselves and become independent. Like someone going back to school to learn a new skill or worker retraining, etc.

It's the people who abuse the system and live off of the aid perpetually without any plans whatsoever to become independent later who are the problem.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

I could use some help but the gov. Tells me I make too much money. I make 8.75 American/hour and cannot feed my family of two without begging for money.

So I know most on the system need it, since some need it and are refused

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
There are many side to this arguement. I have seen far too much abuse to ever be for social welfare entitlements.

I know a family in my area that have been on state assistance for four generations. 22 people that have never had a job and never plan to get a job.

I know many people that paid zero dollars in taxes but get $7000, $9000, even $12,000 back when they file.

Myself I see it this way:

If you cannot support yourself then that is nature's way of saying you shouldn't be passing along your genes. We as a people weaken our society by allowing the weakest links to reproduce. I had to go out and work everyday to provide for my family (retired now), and I see my neighbors sit around and spend money from the state. They have nicer cars and an easy lifestyle.

+edit - My comments are 100% reflections of people who are welfare dependant (state and federal funds are thier income), they in no way reflect my views of assistance (people who work and cannot make ends meet) -edit

What exactly is the incentive to work in America?

edit on 20-5-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
I have no problem with someone getting assistance temporarily as a stepping stone to better themselves and become independent. Like someone going back to school to learn a new skill or worker retraining, etc.

It's the people who abuse the system and live off of the aid perpetually without any plans whatsoever to become independent later who are the problem.

Well there are circumstances for people that it's ok for long-term assistance.
Eldery & the disabled.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Why not worry about yourself for a change?

These people that you claim you know will find out what karma is eventually.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
does this include VA benefits and disability payments?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I worry about my family and help my neighbors.

The question was why the angst, I simply gave an answer.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Its a good question really. Considering that most people would agree that its a small minority of people that are abusing the system, why would anybody obsess about the issue so badly?

My conclusion is that a lot of people are not happy in their lives and when there is a perception that those 'beneath' them in the financial pyramid might be happier or are not doing badly financially, then they want those people to suffer.

Its like anything else, focus on your own life and advancement and you will succeed - keep looking and bitterly complaining about others shows the mentality of a loser.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is why
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
There are many side to this arguement. I have seen far too much abuse to ever be for social welfare entitlements.

I know a family in my area that have been on state assistance for four generations. 22 people that have never had a job and never plan to get a job.

I know many people that paid zero dollars in taxes but get $7000, $9000, even $12,000 back when they file.

Myself I see it this way:

If you cannot support yourself then that is nature's way of saying you shouldn't be passing along your genes. We as a people weaken our society by allowing the weakest links to reproduce. I had to go out and work everyday to provide for my family (retired now), and I see my neighbors sit around and spend money from the state. They have nicer cars and an easy lifestyle.

What exactly is the incentive to work in America?

Same old song it's wrong because some people abuse it. People abuse tax breaks so we should get rid of them also huh?

Your little nature and genes explanation is the most idiotic reasoning against social programs yet. So I guess you support forced abortions for people you don't see as fit to have children? So what else did you learn at the Hitler youth camp?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't have hate for the individuals who get a free ride. They are just doing what humans do naturally:

as little as possible.

The problem is the institutions, from Congress to the bureaucracy of various federal departments like Department of Agriculture, HUD, etc. Basically, all these institutions get more power by handing out more money to more needy cases. The people "served" become incapable of fending for themselves, and then need more assistance, etc.

The paramount example is social security. Local law enforcement and employers are basically not allowed to call in cases of fraud. I know this from personal experience. When I called social security with proof of welfare fraud, they accused me (!) of trying to deprive a US resident (what does that mean) of his civil rights---he had multiple social security cards, getting multiple checks, which he was cashing. They acted like I was harrassing him (and them) for blowing the whistle.

If you are in the 53% of the population that pays more into the system than you get out, it is hard not to resent the 47% that are "taking" from you.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Actually to sit by and watch others profit from your efforts shows the mentality of a slave.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Most people on Government assistance do need it.

Single parents
Disabled people
Elderly persons

and the list is much longer, If we are going to have everyone paying taxes on their wages then it should be the job of the Government to provide a safety social net in case someone loses their job or if they need help feeding their family.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

easy to explain the Hate.

Since 2008 the economy has been terrible, even people with jobs are feeling the pinch.

These people with jobs , can't really do much to improve their current situation, so they look for the reason

for their downturn.

It's hard to put a Face on an unknown Banker, or International Company, so they attack what is in front of them.

They attack people who are most likely in a worse situation than themselves, but they are Visible.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

LMAO - yea I want people to earn thier own way in life, I must be a nazi.

People are animals, ALL people are animals. Would any sane husbandman choose to breed weaker stock? Makes no sense to me.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It's the greed that kills me.

From the gold toothed thug polishing his $5000.00 rims while his old lady goes in to collect her welfare check, to the droves of tax evading homeowners who constantly asked me, "What if I pay you cash?".

There's not a lick of difference between the two.

It isn't what the system was designed to support, and how these people live completely devoid of shame is beyond me.

Feeding the hungry and clothing the cold is such a thing of the past it's a wonder society hasn't finished devouring its own bowels yet.

Soon enough, I imagine.

Sorry it's more of a rant than a reply, but it's all I got.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I noticed a few stragglers in here.

Stormfront is down the hall.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
First off, I'm not making this personal as many here like to do.

Second, the majority of people on state and federal assistance are white so the whole race-baiting angle doesn't work.

Be very clear, I was born and raised in the ghetto that is Detroit. I have years upon years of experience with the "welfare state". I know people that at 15 had the goal to have kids and get welfare as their plan in life. That is not assistance it is a career path.

I know that I have views that are way outside the box. It doesn't make me a nazi or a racist to have a view on working to provide for yourself.

Perhaps you also call Clinton a nazi? It was after all part of his 1996 Welfare Reform Act to make work mandatory for assistance. The "Workfare" program.

SSI, SSD, unemployment Insurance, VA benefits, and Social Security are not welfare in my eyes. These programs require the individual to have put something into the program.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join