It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a 54 year old woman, and I was told to remove my hood before I could enter a shop lol

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
i's a sign of a bad global economy, I'm sure theft is up and shoplifting. they are just doing what they can within the law

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm over fifty and I've got quite long hair. Wherever I shop I get followed by the store security. When I spot them I start walking hastily all over the store, its fun watching them trying to follow me without me noticing them.
I'm sure if they were allowed they'd ask me to remove my hair.

It seems to me theres an oppertunity for someone to open a store where - hoodys - bearded - long haired people are welcomed.

Also. Would someone intent on doing something bad, mark themselves by wearing a hood? Of course not, this is all about CONTROL.
edit on 28-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

i used to play games with shop detectives when i was a student. It's not that hard to find out who they are, even if they aren't in uniform.
What i did was full of irony: as soon as I spotted one I approached that person and greeting the man/woman in a very friendly but very loud manner.
As a result, those shops had to replace their detectives all the time because it doesn't pay off when everyone knows who is the spy.
I do admit i wasn't always sure that this was okay for me to do... wasn't i putting someone's job on the line? But then again, what kinda person wants to spy on other people for a living?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Behave yourself.

She's already explained about the weather conditions which led her to enter the shop with her hood up.

Being in Scotland, you should appreciate this factor.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I refer to you my previous comment: If you are interested in the store's policy on burqas, then why don't you contact them ? How difficult can that be ??!! Seriously... If, instead, you want to peddle hate, which is based on pre-conceived assumptions and unverified urban myths, then feel free. Just don't expect the likes of me - who deals in empiricism, logic and rationality - to play along with your bizarre opinions.

Are you for real?

Where am I "peddling hate"?

I ASKED A QUESTION?.....on a discussion forum!!

If a 50 year old woman is asked to remove a hood when entering a Tesco store, presumably so that CCTV in the store can capture her image.....would a woman wearing a burqa be required to remove it for the same reasons?

why is that a bizarre opinion?

It's a question!.....I don't care weather it is Tesco's or Sainsbury's.....I'm sorry but you are coming across as an argumentative troll who has nothing to add to the discussion other than a ridiculous confrontational attitude!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
i used to play games with shop detectives when i was a student. It's not that hard to find out who they are, even if they aren't in uniform.
What i did was full of irony: as soon as I spotted one I approached that person and greeting the man/woman in a very friendly but very loud manner.
As a result, those shops had to replace their detectives all the time because it doesn't pay off when everyone knows who is the spy.

I hadn't thought of that, I'm obviously not as BAD as you
but I'll be giving it a go

edit on 28-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I moved to Colorado in April of 1999 one week before the Colmbine shootings.
After the shooting the police suggested people refrain from wearing western style trench coats.
And anyone that did, seemed to get dirty looks from everyone.
If you want to live in fear just stay indoors, cause thats the way THEY want it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Hm. That is totally strange. I guess we're not used to those kind of things over here.

What would happen if a nun approached with her habit, a Muslim with her burqa, or a vision impaired person with glasses? Or whatever the policies are. Are they legally required to do the same?

I can see the point for security reasons and theft. It just surprised me, is all. We might have a law about removing articles of clothing in the States for banks or what not but am not sure.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

What would happen if a nun approached with her habit, a Muslim with her burqa, or a vision impaired person with glasses? Or whatever the policies are. Are they legally required to do the same?

Get ready for Sherlock to accuse you of being a hate filled bigot!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
If a 50 year old woman is asked to remove a hood when entering a Tesco store, presumably so that CCTV in the store can capture her image.....would a woman wearing a burqa be required to remove it for the same reasons?

How can I make this any simpler ?

Contact the store.

How difficult can this be ?!

Originally posted by Argyll
why is that a bizarre opinion?

Re-read my comments. Nowhere did I suggest that the opinion was bizarre.

The bizarre aspect is the poster asserting the spurious notion that a Muslim woman in a burqa would hvae been admitted to the shop, despite the fact that he had absolutely no idea what store it was, nor their dress-code policies.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
We might have a law about removing articles of clothing in the States for banks or what not but am not sure.

Many banks have adopted that policy. No hats,and no sunglasses.

They want to see your face,walking in the door.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

i invested a lot of time teaching the ones i am responsible for about the legal rights of the police force and how to interact with them.
for example, i showed them how to act when 2 cops are at the door: be polite (these are human beings so they should be respected as such) but refuse them to come in without a warrant. Over here, when you give permission to access your house, actually you are giving them the rights as if they have a warrant
over here, ID cards are mandatory and police has the right to ask you to identify yourself, but only if they have a cause so ask them to name that cause, in the most polite way. And do record any conversation: over here you have the right to make voice recordings of conversations you have with someone else.
I can assure you local cops hate my guts but they are aware they don't have to try to play with me as I know my rights and i don't hesitate to ask my lawyers to enforce them.

the funny thing is that i am a member of a think tank that's populated with high ranking officers (the subject matter has to do with public communication). I'm the only civilian in that group, and they know I'm a very leftish person. For some reason it works out well :-)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Cool, thanks. I thought that was the way it goes but I wasn't sure. lol I always wear my sunglasses into my bank but usually take them off just so I can see. lol

I wonder what the differing legalities exist across the pond for religious reasons or disabilities.

I remember in high school we were not allowed to wear hats inside. I believe it was due to gang reasons. A student going through chemo wore one of those 'BLOSSOM' type hats popular in the 90's. One of the more rule-oriented teachers tried to get her to take it off and it caused a HUGE uproar in our city.

Wonder what would happen.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

wow

i've been asked if my CLEAR designer frames are prescription, and to take them off in a few NYC and DC buildings

its like they have TSA everywhere now. i could swear its not even about protocol but security ppl are trained to be paranoid, just like the mainstream citizens who are paranoid of certain peoples (ie turbans, which are usually sikhs not taliban, sheesh)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll. I was quite surprised because I'm hardly a 'hoody' thug lol.

And just what does a "hoody" thug look like? People of all races, genders, ages, sexual orientations etc...Do bad things sadly. Even 54 year old women.

It has nothing to do with what one looks like. All different types of people steal and will often use hoodies to help hide their face from cameras.

It's nothing to do with what anyone looks like.It is a blanket policy that a lot of stores have in order to help discourage anyone from stealing. Not just "hoody" thugs....Everyone.

Yes, even you.

A lot of banks have the same policy. No hoods on. No sunglasses on. Nothing that can hide the face.
edit on 28-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

Cops love to hear about your rights !
Then you'll hear about probable cause and reasonable suspicion.
Keep talking about your rights then you'll hear about resisting arrest, and you know what comes after that.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I always take my glasses off and put my hoodie down when I go into stores and banks.
And I am 65 years old sometimes using a walker and other times using a wheel chair.

I do as instructed so the security officer will have no reason to frisk me and find my hand gun and very sharp knife.

In these times we old people have to take measures to protect ourselves and it could come down to shooting someone.

Never underestimate what an older person is capable of.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I am 65 years old... my hand gun and very sharp knife.

Yikes !

Only in America...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hm, OP you sound like a misinformation agent, trying to spark racial tensions. IDK, but this is either a troll thread or a false flag attack by agents of misinformation. I could be wrong though

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Many banks have adopted that policy. No hats,and no sunglasses.
They want to see your face,walking in the door.

Eye scans too ? They can dream on,
I wear tinted prescription glasses, and anyone telling me to take them
off would be facing a major law suit !

Are wigs now illegal too? Will they be telling
people to take off their toupees ? Will hair dye become
illegal (used to disguise) ? I though police, even in UK
could wear turbans, why would there be a difference from
wearing a turban or a hijab into a bank ?
Can a transvestite still wear a dress and wig/lipstick as long as
he has no hat ? Will the banks/stores be able to discriminate against
transvestites/nuns in habits/ orthodox jews ? or is
is only against rain hats/hoodies/and muslims ?
Would these women or this guy be breaking the law ? :

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You can bet your bippy I am not the only female in the southern USA that carries a concealed weapon.

Most male and female children are taught to shoot a rifle as soon as the are strong enough to hold it steady.

And I do have a concealed carry permit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join