It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Life Superheroes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I wrote a thread not long ago, talking about how I thought people here could benefit from using certain techniques to raise their self-esteem, while mentioning my own Batman complex in the process. Apparently, my form of mental illness isn't unique, and there are people who take it further than I do. In my own case, the Orc suit only gets worn online; but these guys are actually going into the streets at night, and looking for real criminals to fight.

Some of you probably think that these people are asking to get themselves killed, and I'd probably agree with you. There is no way that I'd do this; I'm not in anything remotely like sufficient physical shape for it. Apparently this is a big trend, though; I remember finding a community site somewhere for these people last year, and the description of this video mentions that they are all over America.

Still, despite thinking it's somewhat unrealistic and dangerous, I'm also inclined to view it as an extremely positive thing. These are obviously altruistic and compassionate people, who want to help others and make a positive difference. I can't really fault that at all; I just hope they go out wearing kevlar, and have good medical insurance.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I am exactly like you. I don't have a batman complex, more like a Tony Starks.

A wise man once said:
''Only fools that think they can change the world are actually the ones that are brave enough to change it.''

So, let's change the world.

edit on 22-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Their mentality will change when one of them is brutally murdered and left for all to see. Just from the trailer many of them seemed very naive and childish. I doubt doing handstand and flips are going to help when an assailant pulls a gun.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I wonder if Zimmerman was thinking like this as Martin lie dying?

Just my supposition.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Their mentality will change when one of them is brutally murdered and left for all to see.

I don't think that would discourage all of them. It might cause them to modify their behaviour, but I don't think it would stop them completely.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I watched this doc - I have to agree with TheLieWeLive. Once something bad happens, it'll be all over.

KK - Master Legend was my favorite though. A hard drinking superhero lol. Because being a superhero is thirsty work.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

A superhero drinking in public with a now open container shortly after you about cause a traffic accident. Way to lead by example there Master Idiot.

He even has ice cream for the kids. Any masked man offering children treats out of the back of a van is called a pedophile where I'm from.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am Aquaman. I know it.

My gonads are wet.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.purplereigncampaign.org...

Purple Reign. RL super in Seattle who runs a domestic abuse campaign, and goes on nightly patrols with her partner.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
www.reallifesuperheroes.org...

A portal for the apparent subculture surrounding this topic.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think there are a ton of topics on ats about these wannbe vigalanties

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
interesting this is..

new topics

top topics

join