It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preview for CNN presentation on life in space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I just saw a preview for the CNN presentation of existence of life in space. One guy in that video said:"The chances for life outside earth are zero." Is that a fact or conspiracy from the media and government?

Check it out...its on tonight at 8:00 pm eastern time on CNN.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, i'll have to check that out

As for the "chances of life outside earth being zero", that's bogus. Our governement knows they exist, and would tell us if they didn't think every close-minded idiot in the nation wouldn't panic. This show's probably just gov. disinformation, but you know sometimes disinformation is for our own good. We'd hate to shake the christian foundation our country was built upon, and if it was made public that extraterrestrials existed, christians (and other religons alike), would have a trillion questions and zero answers. I don't think we're ready to accept the fact that ET's are really our bretheren, and that they do exist.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a disinfo puff-piece to me though.

But I'll watch it.

It's not that I want to believe in little green men. It's just that I know that the government lies about so many many things, and this is most likely one of those things.

X

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Agreed,the guy who said chances being zero is a total ignoramus.Even most scientists who were skeptical a couple of decades ago have reversed their opinion on that.There are very few astrophysicists who believe that amongst the billions of galaxies,stars,and planets in the universe,that earth is the only rock capable of supporting life.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyateLaBoca
"The chances for life outside earth are zero."

Whoever said the above is a TOTAL and COMPLETE 100% Moron.

Are we so arrogant as a species to think that being Billions of planets out there that we are the only ones? What a dumb#

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I agree the one who said that is completly a moron.
but he will have to change his mind when we find microbes
on mars and other lifeforms on one or more of the moons of
jupiter.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The program's home page is here:
www.cnn.com...

It looks like it might be a pretty interesting program, I�m putting this one on remind

The program description makes mention of the foundations of astrobiology, how alien life might be similar to life on earth�s least acceptable conditions. Also it mentions if there is ETI, how we might reach out to communicate with them. Interestingly it mentions SETI and how some SETI researcher�s ponder if there is already alien life on earth.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I would say that possibility is more like 0.0000000000000000000001%.
Belief in aliens is quite irrational and ignorant, there is a large number of delusional people who claim that government is in alliance with aliens... wooah, where are the proofs? Oh right, you used to watch too much X-files...
Such series and movies have inspired number of frauds to write books about alien species and similar bull# just to make profit.
Ignorance of people is what makes them associate such flying objects with aliens.

I even know a family member who saw a flying saucer. It's because various world governments are experimenting with such semi-"antigrav" vehicles since WW2. You can even construct a small one at home.

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Megaquad]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up *sets the timer on the directv box*

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megaquad

If you�re going to give a figure like that you should have the math to back it up. Care to run that figure through the drake equation and compare the outcome of planets to the ratio of stars that we have looked at and found planets orbiting? The drake equation is www.glyphweb.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">N = R fp ne fl fi fc L if you need it. Also, the verifiable ratio of dead planets to live planets is 1/9.

Belief in aliens is quite irrational and ignorant, there is a large number of delusional people who claim that government is in alliance with aliens... wooah, where are the proofs? Oh right, you used to watch too much X-files...
Such series and movies have inspired number of frauds to write books about alien species and similar bull# just to make profit.
Ignorance of people is what makes them associate such flying objects with aliens.

I even know a family member who saw a flying saucer. It's because various world governments are experimenting with such semi-"antigrav" vehicles since WW2. You can even construct a small one at home.

I can actually agree with this to some extent. It must have been alien is the logical conclusion if the military/government doesn�t claim it. But how can you maintain the statement, we�ve developed anti-gravity, when there are no relative physical laws that describe such a device. Man didn�t invent the electric motor without having some understanding of the magnetic principle, and the ability to apply that understanding mathematically to build the device. Where, if we have built such devices and they beyond doubt do exist, did we get the principles?

Stating that someone can build anti-gravity devices at home might speak toward your lack of understanding of the laws of physics. Where are the plans, I want to get started right away! Are you sure you aren�t talking about an electrostatic device, or magnetic repulsion?

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Seth76]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
Thanks for the heads up, i'll have to check that out

As for the "chances of life outside earth being zero", that's bogus. Our governement knows they exist, and would tell us if they didn't think every close-minded idiot in the nation wouldn't panic. This show's probably just gov. disinformation, but you know sometimes disinformation is for our own good. We'd hate to shake the christian foundation our country was built upon, and if it was made public that extraterrestrials existed, christians (and other religons alike), would have a trillion questions and zero answers. I don't think we're ready to accept the fact that ET's are really our bretheren, and that they do exist.

Well, I agree that some christians wouldn't know what to think if they found out about aliens. Some christians, just like any other category of people, are ignorant about certain things, and close-minded. It's unfortunate but true. But there would be many christians, such as myself who wouldn't freak out. I mean, the existence of aliens is never denied or spoken against in the entire bible and doesn't conflict with any teachings of the bible as well. Some passages appear to lend evidence to the fact of life outside earth. So, it wouldn't destroy the original message, faith and knowledge that the religion is based on, but it could and probably would destroy individual's and some group's faith no question.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimpleTruth
Well, I agree that some christians wouldn't know what to think if they found out about aliens. Some christians, just like any other category of people, are ignorant about certain things, and close-minded. It's unfortunate but true. But there would be many christians, such as myself who wouldn't freak out. I mean, the existence of aliens is never denied or spoken against in the entire bible and doesn't conflict with any teachings of the bible as well. Some passages appear to lend evidence to the fact of life outside earth. So, it wouldn't destroy the original message, faith and knowledge that the religion is based on, but it could and probably would destroy individual's and some group's faith no question.

I agree with you. I didn't mean to put down ALL christians in anyway. I'm just saying that the sanctomonious religious posers would abandon their faith and cause chaos, mostly b/c it wasn't strong enough to withstand the known existence of aliens. I also believe that ET's played an integral role in the bible and christianity, and personally, i haven't counted out the fact that "God" may be a race of ET's. My main reason for thinking that is the way jesus was conceived--not through sex, but just put in mary's womb somehow (forgive me, i can't put my finger on the correct term for this).

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Looks like hurricane coverage and not the special...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huria86
Looks like hurricane coverage and not the special...

It�s a conspiracy! They are trying to hide the truth from us!

Just kidding, looks like they are playing it again at 10pm EST and then again at 4 AM tomorrow.

Edit:
Also, it's on AGAIN tomorrow at 6PM EST. Tomorrow being September 26th

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Seth76]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Alright lets try for 10 this time
If its not there I will be upset and might just stay up till 4am to watch it

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megaquad
Belief in aliens is quite irrational and ignorant

Whoever said the above is a TOTAL and COMPLETE 100% Moron.

Not my words, but that was so aptly said by another, I could not let it go to waste for you.

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I missed it...*sighs*...wasn't home for that time. I'll have to watch it tomorrow I guess.

On the Christain idea...I have some friends who are uber-religious...and they say that god created everything including the universe (which I don't believe for an instant) and that humans are god's creation. Just think what would happen if we found some intelligent life. If humans were god's creation...then why did he create another race that is obviously more superior than us since they had to use something beyond our technology to get here. It would really re-write history, and many major religions would be inaccurate...it might make the Bible inaccurate. It would cause complete anarchy, and it could perhaps destroy us. It is for this reason and many others that the government wouldn't release any information if they had any. Sorry...but even though I would love to hear something about that...it's not gonna happen in our lifetimes unless we are in severe danger.

Anyway...does any of these people take in the fact that other intelligent life might not have the same body functions as us...meaning that they don't need what we need to survive. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Once again, no special, and they said there coverage will be all night. So I doubt a special tonight

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Screw the hurricane. I mean...how much coverage can you do for a hurricane. You will know when it hits...and tv will more than likely be down in those areas. Every news network in the US is doing hurricane coverage...so having CNN stop it's coverage won't hurt anyone. Honest.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, it looks like they are back to their standard line-up of doom, gloom, and the bottom dollar. So it�s probably safe to assume the evening�s showing will be on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join