It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you and your SO have different political affiliations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
And this could go for anyone, not just Americans. Most countries have different parties going on.
So if you live in a mixed household? How does that usually work out? Are you able to discuss things amicably, or do you have a rule that you don't discuss it at all?

I know inter political couples that don't vote because they figure they will cancel each other out. Though I am not sure it quite works that way.

Years ago, I read an interview with Arnold and asked how does he handle it when he is hanging out with the Shrivers/Kennedies. He said: oh we absolutely do not discuss politics.

This is just a light hearted discussion, no attackes or party attacking please.

The reason I ask is I vote third party, but would be considered a moderate liberal I guess. But I only seem to attract republicans. Its really funny.

My husband started off like me in our marriage, but his parents turned him conservative. (which having your husband turned conservative has the same emotional repercussions as finding out he turned gay XD )
edit on 2-4-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My husband and I agree on most political topics, although he's better informed than I am.

My parents and I cannot even begin to discuss anything political. They always bring the discussion around to their faith, which I no longer share. Nothing wrong with letting your faith guide your choices, please understand. It's just the debates always spiral into theological rants.

So we only discuss their grandkids, jobs, and the random quirkiness of the word butter.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'm always attracted to those who think other than me. As long as they have a open mind.

It keeps conversation lively as long as it does degrade into personnal attacks, it's all good.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

My bride was and comes from a family of scum-sucking liberal/pansy/commie democrats!

I love my bride with all my heart. We just don't agree with everything. (Though I am turning her conservative)

*evil laugh*
edit on 2-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I would suggest stop playing into the distraction of political football and start researching what really goes on.

edit on 2-4-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yes ..I'm pro-freedom, pro-truth and she is glad to be one of the masses

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
When I met my husband 6 years ago, he was a dyed-in-the-wool republican who worshiped Ronald Reagan. I was a left-coast transplant who was a road-tested democrat and wouldn't vote republican if my life depended on it.

He came over to my side, briefly, when we voted for Obama in 20008. For that, we offer our sincerest apologies. After that time, we both retired, and actually had the time to research history and learn the truth of the joke that is American politics.

We are now hard-nosed independents who hate both parties because we have learned how they both are flushing America down the toilet. We are no longer willing participants in a system that is corrupt, deceitful as hell, and completely broken.

Let's just say that he came from the right, I came from the left, and now we are marooned on an island in the center with no party affiliation.....Happily.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

Let's just say that he came from the right, I came from the left, and now we are marooned on an island in the center with no party affiliation.....Happily.

As long as there are Daiquiris and Margaritas on that island, I’m sure things will remain civil.

I’ve never met a mean drunk that drinks Daiquiris or Margaritas. They’ve all been quite mellow folk.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Me and my family hate all politicians equally.....it works for us.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Me and my girlfriend had different backgrounds. We both grew up in North Carolina but I grew up in an island of liberals known as Chapel Hill, haha. I didn't realize how many "country" people there were in North Carolina at all.

After that I stopped being a democrat and became Dustytoad. The dustytoad party only has room for one member, and that's me. I don't wish to put my personal beliefs into any group. Any group of people is giving up freedom to be "in the group."

Funny thing though, With her countryish background and my love of freedom, we both found Ron Paul, so all is well.. even with all of our parents. (Iv'e been waking them up [9/11, fake left right paradigm, etc] so naturally they followed me when I said Ron Paul) I have NEVER supported a candidate ever. Ron Paul gave me hope and got me interested in the control of the USA.

We agree on guns, we like them
We agree on the borders, close them.
We agree on wars, stop them.

We disagree on social programs.. I am still liberalish here and they are still conservative. But I am willing to risk losing the social programs if it gets my country back. Well, if it gets me the country I was always taught was mine, but never was...

So I guess I am lucky in that regard.

edit on 4/2/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

*rolls eyes*

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Ah, so you have to avoid TWO conversational taboos, lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I have a different problem My ex(still the best of friends) doesn't care for politics at all. So no discussion there of any kind.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You make a good point. I try to keep up with things and I am extremely curious about the world, and I like the outdoors, I think that is part of it.

I have learned that it is not about looks, it is about conversation.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

My ex and I loved talking conspiracy, tried to avoid politics as we figured it was a no end situation, but if we really agreed to go at it, we always did with a comfy chair, 2 shot glasses, and Jack Daniels, so everything always went smoothly.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think we're both pretty much aligned. I tend to be a bit more conservative than she does, but I am also more interested, and therefore more educated on the political topics of the day.

It isn't a question of smarts...she's one of the most intelligent people I know, she simply isn't interested in it, so she doesn't read much about it to know all of the other factors involved.

For example, many people want to see an end to illegals working here.

Yet, if those same people stopped to think about it, they'd also fume if they had to pay $4 for a cucumber because that source of cheap labor is no longer available to the farmer, so he passes along the cost. Lawn service and Hotel stays would skyrocket as well. Sure, it sounds stereotypical, but that doesn't make it any less a fact. Those industries employ a lot of illegals, so of course, without that, you'll see costs rise.

You have to look at all of the repercussions of political decisions.

new topics

top topics

join