It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Theft on the rise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I was talking with my Parents yesterday, and my dad mentioned that 2 of his 3 dogs had been stolen recently. He lives in a small rural community in Michigan, about 3 hours north of Detroit.

Now, he is retired and spends most of his day at home doing wood working and such. And his dogs are with him 99% of the time. So, the thieves had to have taken them on one of the rare occasions when my parents went into town to get groceries or went to visit my siblings. The only reason the one dog is still with them is because they take that one wherever they go.

I researched a little on the web, couldn’t really find anything recent with regards to this situation. But late last year, there were a few news items that stated people were stealing pets and selling them to research facilities or dog breeders in order to get money to survive. The other reasons that people are taking them are to see if the owner posts a reward and to train them for dog fights.

I guess the economy is so bad in that area that they don’t even care if the dog has a tag identifying it as a person’s pet. They just take it anyways.

Two things I am wondering about with the above scenario.
One, what good is the micro chip if you can’t track the dog after he is stolen? I read one scenario on line that stated the owners of a pet that was stolen had it returned to them 6 years later when a kennel scanned the chip and informed them they had their dog. The couple went and immediately picked up the animal, so, obviously, they are animal lovers and would have tried to find the dog when it was first stolen. Which means they were unable to trace it at the time by using the chip?

Two, what kind of person takes a family owned pet instead of the many strays that run wild out there? I mean, I realize it’s easier, but don’t they have any compassion for the owner of the dog they are about to take? I understand trying to feed your family, but, out by my dad’s house, there are plenty of animals that are homeless running the streets that they could take. I don’t understand the need to steal an animal anyways, plenty of other ways to make money.

I am unsure if my links to the articles I found will work. So, if you search “pet theft” you will get quite a few. They are from 2011, but still very valid as my dad just had this happen to him. Also, I will try to check back in on this thread, but I am going to be very busy for the next few days, so, I might not be able to respond to any one as quickly as I would like. But I will check this thread as often as I can.

Wanted to know what your experiences/opinions are on this matter.
Blend57
www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.paws.org...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If he's 3hrs. north of Detroit then i'm probably within a half hour of him. We have 2 dogs and like you said things are really bad here.

The chip is only good when someone takes the dog to the vet or animal control to be scanned. If someone finds (or steals) your pet and just decides to keep it then it's worthless.

Thanks for this info.

edit on 17-3-2012 by will615 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by will615

Yeah, he was so torn up about it. He had those dogs for a couple of years now and these creeps just up and take them.

I wasn't aware this was that big of issue, but when I started looking a bit, I guess its areal money maker. Or rather, and easy way to make money.

I just think its pathetic.

Wish there was something we could do...

Blend57
edit on 17-3-2012 by blend57 because: (sp[elling/grammer)

edit on 17-3-2012 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Probably some people just plain eating them as well. Desperate times and all that.....

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I won't be giving my Dad that little gem to chew on... I hope that isn't the case. But I am unsure how bad the economy really is up there.

I haven't been home in years, and that area is so rural, I don't know if it would be a true reflection of what the whole state is up against.

I know its bad, but hopefully they aren't eating dogs.....

Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
We have a fenced in backyard, but never leave them out when we leave. Not even if were going to be gone for just 5min.

If your dogs are inside dogs, then always make sure their in before you leave. That's all you can do. We've had ours for 8yrs. since they were born and we would be devastated if someone took them. I feel sorry for your dad.
I hope he gets them back somehow.

p.s. I edited my first post adding that pets can be scanned at the animal control as well.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Also, tell him to put an ad in the paper. Lost/Found ads are usually free. If the kidnapper does plan on selling them then maybe someone might realize their stolen especially if someone sees that their neighbor just brought home 2 dogs that fit the description.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by will615

Thanks. He is retired and there are two things he enjoys, His dogs and his family.Puts both above everything else. So, you can see why this is so hard for him.

I just don't understand how someone can do that. Couldn't ever do that to someone. Knowing that I am taking a dog out of a loving environment, so they can be tested, bred, or worse.....eaten!

I hope he gets them back too. I don't think he will though. Which is heartbreaking for him.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I live in West Michigan and every few years dogs start to disappear. The story I heard is that they are being sold to research facilities. I doubt people can be selling to breeders because they would need the paper work showing they are pure breeds. I also doubt it is due to animal control, those guys don't like picking up strays and they often won't come to pick them up. I've had to resort to other methods of control when strays show up at my place. I've had to dump them off across the river and make them someone else's problem. My neighbor just plain shoots them and other people leave anti-freeze out for them.

Lets not forget all the coyotes around here. They are all over the state. I've seen them in the thumb and there are large packs of them in the woods around here.
edit on 17-3-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Last line.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Antifreeze?

Damn that is just mean, wow.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I was just going by the info I read on a few websites. Was questioning the "selling to breeders" idea myself, as I thought they would require some paperwork in order to do so. On the other hand, some breeders might not be so ethical in there practices. Which might be why the websites list it as an option.

As for taking care of strays, I remember when I was a kid, I got chased by a pack of strays and just barely made it to my dads car. He had to shoot at them in order to get them to leave. They was gonna eat me! lol

So, sometimes, the only way to protect your family from them is to kill them. Thats also why I think people are not picking up strays.....too dangerous.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, I thought that was pretty wild myself. You never know what other animals are gonna get into that. Your neighbors dog.... Although up there, your neighbors are 1-2 miles away. At least that is how I remember it.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Antifreeze?

What does antifreeze do???

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shushu

I'm not sure exactly how they use it. But in kills the animals. Unsure of the way they die, but I would assume it to be pretty bad, as that is a poison that anyone would die from if they ingest it.

Maybe someone else has information at that subject???

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shushu

Kidney failure
Not a pretty way to go. I would take the bullet.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about the theft of your fathers dogs.

I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and in my city there has also been a rash of pet thefts. There is a white van going around the city and stealing dogs when then owners tie their dogs to a pole to go inside to a store. I have even seen ads on my local kijiji warning people that this is happening.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thats pretty cruel. I think a bullet would be better as well. Not a nice way to go out of this world...

Thanks,
Blend 57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shushu

Originally posted by TKDRL

Antifreeze?

What does antifreeze do???

It's got a sweet taste that attracts them to it and of course poisons them. If your vehicle ever has a leak keep your pets away and clean it up immediatly.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by blend57
reply to post by shushu

I'm not sure exactly how they use it. But in kills the animals. Unsure of the way they die, but I would assume it to be pretty bad, as that is a poison that anyone would die from if they ingest it.

Maybe someone else has information at that subject???

Isn't there a more humane way to get things under control... or is that just too mind boggling for some folk???

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

Thanks, it's pretty upsetting that this stuff occurs. And he's so torn up about it, he won't let the last one out of his site.

In regards to the van, that is what one of the websites said. A white van cruising down your street picking up your pets. Also, a orange/red beat up truck. (If I remember right)

Thanks,
Blend57

top topics

<<   2 >>

join