It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 States On Path To Carry Guns With No Conceal Carry Permits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted. A couple searches turned up blank. My opinion of this is pretty parallel to the NRA. An armed society is a polite society. Even seeing interviews with known thieves, they stated that they wouldn't enter a house knowing the owner was armed. There are too many arguments for liberal gun laws. Its the politicians that get nervous about armed citizens.
USA Today

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I like this idea

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think that crime would go way down if everyone carried.

It would be messy for a few years but then things would calm down.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Why do we need permits anyway? Doesn't the right to bare arms eliminate the need for all other governmental "permission"?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Sorry if this has been posted. A couple searches turned up blank. My opinion of this is pretty parallel to the NRA. An armed society is a polite society. Even seeing interviews with known thieves, they stated that they wouldn't enter a house knowing the owner was armed. There are too many arguments for liberal gun laws. Its the politicians that get nervous about armed citizens.
USA Today

Thanks for sharing. S&F.

While I don't own guns, I've been debating getting my CC here in Ohio just in case I purchase one down the road...sad to see my state on that list.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
How many ways can we say...Hmm...Bad idea?

Sounds like a good thought in Cheyenne, Wyoming or Albuquerque, New Mexico. Not so good a thought in Kansas City or Baltimore.

Hear hear for gun rights...but lets at least require a little time for instruction, eh? Everyone who can, drives a car too. Don't we all appreciate it when people have some formal training and notice rather quickly when they're new and never did?

My state is SHALL ISSUE. The majority these days seem to be. That means, very simply, a resident of my state cannot be turned down if they meet the black and white requirements set in the law. You're 21. You aren't a Felon. You don't fall into any other category that prohibits OWNING the gun itself. That's about the size of it, after a 1 day course and range time to prove you know how to use a gun without shooting yourself. (Don't laugh...people didn't see a couple I had in my class).

Without some BASIC instruction?? 80% of those who would choose to carry w/o a permit would know enough to be safe either way, I'd expect. That 20% would be enough though. There are the people who think they have far more skill than they do or flat out can't shoot or handle a gun without being a menace to everyone within range.

Just my thoughts...but May issue states need changed to Shall Issue, and lets leave the loosening of carry laws right about there. Vermont and Alaska already enjoy the total open freedom and it works there. Leave it...but maybe this isn't the best trend to see spread everywhere.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Baltimore???

well there's the petrie dish for this being anything but positive..

Instead of successfully reducing crime I think it would just end up looking like Homs.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Statistics in the 4 states that allow open carry with no permits support that. A gun in an equalizer. Most criminals prey on the weak. Gun possession takes that temptation away.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I prefer open carry to concealed carry myself. Big old gun, right where any fool can see it, now that's a deterrent.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It does help to jar the thinking about process to beyond 5 minutes into the future. It always helps to have visual cues.
edit on 11-3-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just my opinion here......but why on earth would politicians, who are bent on taking AWAY every right we have, want to give us the right to carry concealed weapons without a permit? Personally, this sounds like they're trying to create one more reason to shoot first and ask questions later.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dign4it

These are state politicians. They can't hide out in DC all year. They're around the people that elected them all the time.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

This is a good thing IMO

Kudos to Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming that already allow residents to carry without a permit, and Colorado, Iowa, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota and Virginia that are considering the same.

Sad to say my state is not on that list (Texas) though we are allowed to carry concealed in a vehicle and on our person to and from work or home. I had a CHL for 8 years but recently allowed it to expire because of our new laws. Hopefully these states will be successful and Texas will follow suit.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dign4it

Just my opinion here......but why on earth would politicians, who are bent on taking AWAY every right we have, want to give us the right to carry concealed weapons without a permit? Personally, this sounds like they're trying to create one more reason to shoot first and ask questions later.

I think you are confusing the state and federal governments.

This is a state issue, and because of the second amendment the fed really can’t do anything about it.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Problem is, that the goddamn FED steps all over states rights. Take california for example. State says it is OK to grow pot for medical purposes, and the FED comes in and raids the potfarmers that sell to the medical places there.

That is nothing new obviously, the FED has been overstepping their boundaries for decades now.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Problem is, that the goddamn FED steps all over states rights. Take california for example. State says it is OK to grow pot for medical purposes, and the FED comes in and raids the potfarmers that sell to the medical places there.

That is nothing new obviously, the FED has been overstepping their boundaries for decades now.

Though I agree that they overstep their bounds, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

The second amendment of the constitution protects the right to bear arms and states decide from there. Drugs are illegal…gun ownership is not!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Not really, that state decided that it is legal under certain conditions, the federal government seems to think it's law overrides state laws, which is wrong.

If the federal government decided to ban guns, the FBI and ATF would think that they override state laws about it. They would be wrong again.

They have tried to flex their muscles in the gun area, with things like the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, so it's not out of the question that they might do it again.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And then when one loony goes off on a shooting rampage, the answer would be

MOAR GUNS!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

We see everyday what unarmed citizens deal with in crime. Picture this, a little old lady walking through a known crack selling neighborhood. Known to carry cash on her person. What are her odds of getting mugged as an unarmed citizen?
What happens to those odds if she carries a visible side arm?
And just what happens to the attitude of law enforcement using their badges to unlawfully intimidate and harrass citizens?
An armed society is a polite society has truth.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Though I agree that they overstep their bounds, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

The second amendment of the constitution protects the right to bear arms and states decide from there. Drugs are illegal…gun ownership is not!

It took an amendment to the Constitution for prohibition, and another one to overturn it. No where in the Constitution does it say drugs are illegal.

I support the right to carry and believe that if more law abiding citizens were armed, violent crime would go down. However, there needs to be some sort of common sense approach to ensure those who wish to carry gun knows what they're doing. Maybe a short common sense quiz for those who wish to buy a weapon that covers the basics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join