It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by MrSpad
reply to post by seabag

Both teams are American. One white the other hispanic. Are we suppose to believe that it was a out of the blue rush of American pride? Come on we all know what was going on. People are jerks.

I guess I’m just surprised that chanting “USA USA USA” ANYWHERE in America could be frowned upon.

I live in Texas and I can attest that many Hispanics here (and I’m sure in other places) refuse to fully assimilate. Many fly Mexican flags and many speak little to no English. I wouldn’t be offended if the Hispanic team chanted “MEXICO” after their win? They can chant whatever they want! Maybe they’re proud of their Mexican heritage! So what?

Do you think that would have made the news? I doubt it!

If the other team started chanting Mexico, you can guarantee the people screaming "Racism" now would be defending the Hispanic's right to pride in their heritage. If anything, this is a case of racism against the white students. It's a systematic process of beating down students who are white and training them to not have any pride in themselves at all. They want white kids to hate and loathe themselves.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Well here you go.....get ready....I must be one hell of a racist.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Please keep your racist chants off my thread, sir!

There’s no place here for people like you!

I appreciate your service!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

They need to fix the immigration system. A certain amount of knowledge should be required to gain citizenship. Most of them only know how to file for a tax payer identification number to start a business or to collect pay checks as they continue to live here illegally. It's not their fault though. It is the fault of the Federal Government.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Dude, take it easy, lol. The problem isn't that they were chanting "USA," the problem is they were chanting "USA," in an attempt to discourage the prominently Hispanic team. This isn't an issue of expressing pride in America, its an issue of bigotry and racial intolerance.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm sure the kids chanted it in a racial way. No one chants USA for no reason at a sports game.

It was disrespectful. People get too serious over competition and take the fun out of it

edit on 7-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by petrus4

I'm agreeing with seabag.

Someone hold me. I'm scared. This has never happened before.

Are you feeling alright today, petrus4? Maybe you should lie down!

Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody you agreed with me!

link   
In my mind, I know they were secretly chanting:

Unite, San Antonio!

Although reading over the other posts here, I feel the reporter was wrong to push the race agenda. I didn't notice that the headline of the story begins with, "Racism incident...". I guess they decided for you with the very first words. My spidey-senses are out of whack today.

edit on 7-3-2012 by dyllels because: bolds

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
It was disrespectful. People get too serious over competition and take the fun out of it

To Hell with this talk of being disrespectful. We've been trained as a population to be paranoid about every word that comes out of our mouths, because it might be disrespectful to someone.

It's just another excuse for keeping people's mouths shut entirely. Freedom and political correctness are not consistent with each other.

edit on 7-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

And anything and everything can be made out to be bigotry, racism, etc if someone wants to. Let me ask you this, was the opposing team from Mexico? If it was then an argument could be made that it was bigotry and racism. However the other team was from a nearby school or district so no, it will not work to try and twist the facts around. The other team was, for the most part American citizens regardless of their heritage.

So by your argument since I am Irish, Scot, and German then anytime I was in the service and we had to solute the flag or chant certain patriotic themes in PT then the Dept. of The Navy and SecNav were being bigotted and racist towards me?

I wonder how long I would have lasted if I would have refused to wear the flag on the shoulder of my uniform because it "offended me". Or if I would have asked to have a swastika insdeat since I have German heritage?
The fact is these students and this dimwit coach are Americans.

link   
reply to post by petrus4

Being politically correct and being respectful are two different things

Implying that Mexican Americans aren't American is disrespectful and a jerk thing to do. It has nothing to do with being politically correct.

If you were born here and kids were telling you that you weren't a REAL American just because of your ethnicity, would you not be offended somewhat? Or see how other people would be?

edit on 7-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I agree, the immigration system is broken, but it's really not that easy to fix. The real problem is that illegal immigrants are willing to work, unofficially, for garbage wages. The economy is in the gutter, hence people willing to hire illegals for less rather than hire an American worker for more.

On top of this, they are willing to work harder than most Americans at menial jobs because most of them are here to send money back home. There really is no easy way to fix this problem. Wages in America, inflation aside, have stayed the same for over 30 years while prices of everyday goods such as oil and food have gone up. This is why we can't just slash minimum wage in an attempt to combat illegal immigration. Our standard of living is too high.

Violence is not much of an answer either; even if we follow the footsteps of other countries and threaten trespass with death, we will only slow the traffic. We cannot constantly police the coasts and the border.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I'm sure the kids chanted it in a racial way. No one chants USA for no reason at a sports game.

Well, I watched the video and didn’t see what the big deal was but I don’t know the background of the story.

VIDEO News Report

Watch it and see if you think it was racist. The folks there obviously thought it was because the school district banned any students who participated in the chant from competing in state title games.

This Politically Correct world some would like us to conform to is disturbing to me. This is America and chanting USA should never be frowned upon regardless who it offends. What happened to the first amendment?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by boncho

Even if that was the case, screaming USA after winning is not inflamatory. Happens all the times in the olympics etc right?

They are chanting USA not KKK, or GO BACK HOME or some nonesense....

why didn't they just chant AL-A-MO...AL-A-MO, instead of U-S-A,U-S-A, to show there support for their school???? racist to me, without a doubt

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That's not racist....it is however; nationalistic .....which many construe to be racist. Some nationalists are racists, or use nationalism (or extreme patriotism) as a cover for racism. But being nationalistic doesn't automaticly denote racism.

By the way, in many parts of the border areas (especially TX and CA), hispanics are flying the Mexican flag in lieu of or often OVER the American flag. Many are calling for, in rallies and parades, what is it, La Raza or Azlitan (something like that), which is the seperation of "hispanic areas" into their own country or back to Mexico. What's the difference? Frankly that's close to insurrection, if they acted on it, but no one decries that. Oh because to do so you would probably be labeled a "racist", which is thrown around so much it has lost it's meaning.

So this has far more to do with nationalism or patriotism gone wrong then racism. My guess is that there are potentially underlying tensions in the area due to both racism and nationalism, and people fed up with problems from illegals in S. Texas that led to the chant.

Frankly, I think people need to quite being so "thin" skinned. It's not THAT big of a deal. A little crass or rude, perhaps.
edit on 7-3-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

This Politically Correct world some would like us to conform to is disturbing to me. This is America and chanting USA should never be frowned upon regardless who it offends. What happened to the first amendment?

Political Correctness is code for anti-first amendment, plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

And anything and everything can be made out to be bigotry, racism, etc if someone wants to. Let me ask you this, was the opposing team from Mexico? If it was then an argument could be made that it was bigotry and racism. However the other team was from a nearby school or district so no, it will not work to try and twist the facts around. The other team was, for the most part American citizens regardless of their heritage.

What’s ridiculous is that if this were a team from Mexico against a team from USA and this chant happened it would have been called patriotism. Because the two teams were both American it’s now racism?

I say F-PC!! Was that PC enough?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

reply to post by petrus4

Being politically correct and being respectful are two different things

Implying that Mexican Americans aren't American is disrespectful and a jerk thing to do. It has nothing to do with being politically correct.

Assuming they didn't say anything else, I'm unsure how said Mexican Americans could have drawn that conclusion.

If you were born here and kids were telling you that you weren't a REAL American just because of your ethnicity, would you not be offended somewhat?

I might think the person was a racist moron, yes; but I wouldn't run crying to anyone about being offended, or think that I was "a victim of a hate crime."

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

The problem isn't that they were chanting "USA," the problem is they were chanting "USA," in an attempt to discourage the prominently Hispanic team.

In that case, chanting anything is an attempt to discourage the opposing team. Most Hispanics who immigrate here don't identify as American. This game really was a game between two different cultures.

This isn't an issue of expressing pride in America, its an issue of bigotry and racial intolerance.

If the Hispanics chanted something that was pro-Mexico or even pro-Hispanic, no one would even raise an eyebrow. In fact, something like that did happen at a European football (soccer) game. It's only white people who must walk on eggshells as not to offend anyone who is non-white.
edit on 3/7/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No, you're missing the point. If it was a Mexico VS America match, it would have been okay to chant 'USA, USA," because the teams would literally be divided by country. It was an all American match, and chanting "USA, USA," was used to discriminate between the Caucasian and Hispanic teams, hence why it is an act of bigotry.

An American is not just defined to being a Caucasian, but can be of any heritage/ethnicity. For these people to alienate the Hispanic team is anti-American because the Hispanics are Americans as well.

To put it in perspective, imagine a Hispanic American soldier and Caucasian American soldier. Now, imagine when addressing the Caucasian, a crowd chants "USA, USA!" However, when addressing the Hispanic, the crowd does not. Do you see where the racism lies in this? Both are American, yet the Hispanic is shunned.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Being politically correct and being respectful are two different things.

Political Correctness determines what is “respectful” or disrespectful.

Nobody said they weren't "real" Americans. The crowd started the chant. Why all the fuss?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join