It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google not google?? :/

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
All of a sudden today, chrome has started telling me that google.co.uk server certificate is not yet valid and the identity of the website cannot be verified. Showing the https in red with a line through it.

Anyone else experiencing this, know why? I just find it weird that I run chrome and its telling me this?

I've ran malware and virus software and am all clear. Also used cmd.exe to check no unauthorised sources are connected to my computer that could be altering what im seeing and its all clear so im rather stumped.

Any info would be appreciated

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CR4V3N

mine seems to be ok.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CR4V3N

I can't help you with that much but I can tell you if you're using FireFox you'll end up having a problem with Google.
Are you using Firefox?

I'll refer you to this thread: FireFox disconnecting from Google

I wouldn't be surprised if FireFox has more up their sleeve for Google too...

peace

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for the info.

Currently using chrome however. This is where I am stumped, why would a google product tell me this about its own and biggest visited site?

Something seem a miss here but I just can't put my finger on it!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CR4V3N

I'm sorry, I did read you're using Google Chrome - just had a mind cramp.

I have no idea why this is happening but I'd suggest asking a Moderator to move your thread to the Computer Help part of the forums. I got some GREAT responses right off the bat there. A really helpful bunch patrols that area of forums.

peace and good luck!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Screw google! Don't give them one bit of your personal data they can gather to profit from. Use Startpage.com instead. Same search results, none of the spying.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Is Google Chrome a safe alternative to Firefox ? (would like to try something new) or would I be jeopardizing my privacy?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theAmericanStory

Yes, you would. Another member mentioned Startpage which is a good alternative if privacy is an issue for you. Bing is good too. They don't have the database Google has but, really, who needs 1 million variations of certain keywords when most people choose one of the first 5 results anyway?

Firefox is doing weird things anyway these days which is why I'm glad I switched over to IE8 some time ago.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I only really use it for work related purposes and to find info.

For anything personal I use TOR so I'm not too worried about privacy issues I must admit.

Just curious as to why this has suddenly happened.

NOTE: I Didn't realise there was a computer help section. Mods please move.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
OP, invalid security certificate is something you should NOT be seeing and should NOT take lightly.

Did it inform if you who the publisher of the certificate was? If it was a unknown publisher you need to assess this issue immediately.

Your ARP table may have been poisoned, which more or less means that someone may be monitoring the information on your network.

I would recommend ensuring that your router is 100% secure, and has a good password and is not using WEP encryption. IF you do not want to research how to fix all of this, find professional help immediately.

This could also happen by a trojan, etc. Google.com should not be displaying bad security certificates period. If you are using a unprotected(no password/encryption) wireless connection you need to cease and desist immediately as any information you're posting over the the wireless connection is EASILY obtainable by even the most infantile hackers.

You need to address this issue by securing your internet connection, making sure wireless has a password, etc. If you are unable to do this, request professional help immediately. And do NOT enter ANY important information you may have right now, IE: Facebook, Email, Baking.

Let me know if you cannot get any professional help.
edit on 7-3-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I use this ixquick for my searches. You may find your results to be far more diverse
Note some things
it doesn't track searches
if your paranoid, you can click the proxy option next to every search result also
And you can simply check a highlight without navigating to the page to save you clicky click time.

You can also use this: Startpage for the same options, non-tracking, and it gives you the same results google would give

Google itself turned into little more than a tracking website with an algorithm favoring corporate pop sites over content
edit on 7-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The Google has told me your windows clock can cause a conflict with this.

Ask The Google for more information?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Yes you would. For a start it's a closed source program and it's known to contact google server's when it shouldn't (aka phone home). So there is no way to trust it. Mozilla on the other hand creates open-source software, such as firefox, much safer to use in my opinion.

As for the op, you should check your hosts file for malicious definitions, i believe it is C:\windows\system32\etc\hosts although i haven't used windows in many years so i may be wrong.

The google webpage shouldn't be displaying certificate errors, i would assume a bad entry has been written to your hosts file somehow (resolving the domain to a malicious server address). It's either that or 2 other possibilities... a third party could be tampering with data (man in the middle attack), or your ca-certificates have become corrupted or missing/deleted (you could try reinstalling your web browser in this case).

PS; Just because your anti-virus says "clean" does not mean it is clean. Majority of malware can slide past an anti-virus program easily. Don't fall for a false sense of security

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Having the incorrect date/time settings on your computer causes these invalid certificate things, check if your date and time are correct!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ladies and Gentleman,

I sincerely apologies for my extreme bout of idiocy.

I totally forgot I had changed my date setting to continue using AutoCad 2012 on trial while I wait for work to purchase me a key.

MASSIVE FAIL

Thanks for all your help though.

b3l13v3 - not entirely new info to me but made me want to go through it all again so thank you.

SaturnFx - thanks for the links.

Ixtab and Idonthaveabeard - Right on the money, cheers.

InsideYourMind - same reply as to b3l13v3 but with this note; I use malwarebytes as well as anti-virus software, is that good enough for you?

So yeah, all sorted now.

Regards
CR4V3N
edit on 7-3-2012 by CR4V3N because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

instead of chrome try srware iron.it uses the chromium code yet no google crap.use ixquick as an add on as an alternative to google,doesn't record your i.p. address.

new topics

top topics

join