It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Recent School shooting shows how urgently the US needs tighter gun-control laws"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Columbus, OH - It happened again recently. We don't know all the details, but what we do know is this. A young man named TJ Lane walked into high school - here in my home state of Ohio - approached a table full of kids and started shooting.

By the time the smoke cleared, three kids were dead. Three tragedies of unfulfilled dreams, unrealised potential and abrogated constitutional rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", their "general welfare" not protected by the state. More accurately, sacrificed on the altar of the arm's industry's puffery and profit-driven deceit.

Like with any tragedy such as this, there were many handmaidens. Certainly, chief among them was the violence this young man bore witness to regularly, in a household reportedly filled with it. His parents, both charged with domestic abuse and other violent behaviour in the past, seemingly helped nurture a disturbed and dangerous kid.

But it's also been reported that the killer's grandfather - from whom Lane accessed the gun used - had so many weapons lying around that he couldn't figure out a gun was missing until afterwards. Read that sentence again.

Teaching a child that violence solves everything and giving him access to an arsenal. That should make his family criminally liable - although, current Ohio law will not allow that to happen.

Perhaps, if Ohio state lawmakers hadn't been so busy letting foetuses testify or extending concealed-carry permits to drinking establishments (shots and shooting! Two pastimes that go hand-in-hand like crack coc aine and boating!), they could've found some time to work on that one.source

This is an opinion based on another recent US School Shooting. Gun ownership is Constitutionally protected. I feel it would be very difficult to change or restrict gun ownership or type of guns available in the US because of the Constitution.

With the amount of incidences of School shootings/massacres in the US, I just wonder if it is an agenda to bring about disarming the US Population?

The Port Arthur Massacre brought about sweeping changes to gun ownership in Australia. People willingly handed their guns in...surrendered them. Maybe, that is how the US Govt will achieve the same thing?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Marijuana is illegal. Kids can't get their hands on it, right?

Gun laws only take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens, not those with ill intentions.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Commented too soon
edit on 7-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Sure,

And then only the nice, mentally stable police and military will be able to carry weapons.

Good plan.

Let me know how that works out...oh wait, remember Hitler?

Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I heard some school kids knew the guy was talking about doing things before he did so. Maybe if schools educated students on reporting such things, we could prevent such things from happening.

Students need to be taught it may be nothing, but it should be reported if someone is talking about shooting up the school or killing someone. Apparently the other students thought it was a joke. I would address this issue where others think things are a joke until something happens before trying to attack a guy who is careless with how he stores his guns. The guy wouldn't have known a gun was missing for a while either if he had them all neatly stored and was away on vacation and someone had broken into his house undetected.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
lol over my dead body will i ever think about handing in my guns.

they dont need tighter control of how to get a gun they need to make sure the people that have guns have then secured. most of the shootings in the us come from stolen guns.

just my 2 cents
edit on 7-3-2012 by NISMOALTI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
And you can walk into a sears, hoping to buy a lawnmower, and the guy behind you takes out a gun and ends your life.

You could be at mcdonalds, ordering a number 3, large size of course, with a diet coke. In walks someone with a gun and an agenda.

It doesn't matter........each day could be your last, with or without gun control.

Don't take our gun rights away. Criminals will always have the upper hand.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Wait, aren't schools gun free zones?

Oh yeah, criminals don't care about laws.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

True that.

Love your location btw...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Sure,

And then only the nice, mentally stable police and military will be able to carry weapons.

Good plan.

Let me know how that works out...oh wait, remember Hitler?

Peace

settle down and read it. It is an opinion...not mine.

It just seems that the media are only representing negative gun use...

People in Australia were lining up at Police Stations handing in their guns... voluntarily.

wow
... perhaps you had to see it in order to believe it?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
NO.
Actually,
it shows how urgently the US needs
BETTER PARENTING.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

no not all of them look up Colorado University

guns in school

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
NO.
Actually,
it shows how urgently the US needs
BETTER PARENTING.

I'm sure the suspects parents are great role models. I think his parents names were playstation and xbox.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Who wants more antidepressants on top of their daily antidepressants?

Or are we blaming guns as the problem in here? After all, guns have only been around for 100s of years, and schools have been around for 100s of years, so obviously, guns are the problem.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Star upon you!
Guns are illegal in many countries yet people are still shot.
Yeah, I'll keep my guns thank you.
There is a reason our forefathers wanted us armed and it wasn't to put a hunk of meat on the dinner table, although it is an awesome byproduct.

More toward the OP
Now in this shooting, do we know exactly why it happened, and all of the surrounding circumstances?
It is our right and duty to rebell when oppressed, maybe this person viewed this person of their source of oppression.
Kids kill themselves because of bullies, adults think clearer and just kill the bully.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

You know nothing about this case do you? Your source says three dead before the smoke cleared which is wrong, three died but they were only severely injured and 1 died shortly after and the other two dropped later. In other words the kid had #ty aim. Why should I be free to tell you that you are wrong you ask. Well three days before this incident this disturbed young man posted on 4chan what he was going to do and also posted pictures of him with two guns a piece of paper and a pen knife. He was also telling people on omegle whatever the chat/webcam sites name is. The saddest part of all of this is he was reported to the FBI and nothing was done. So whos fault is it yes you can blame gun owners, the parents of the shooter but thats not the case here this boy had issues yes but it slipped through the cracks. Why you ask hmmm maybe to push stricter gun laws.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by darknull
reply to post by Thurisaz

Well three days before this incident this disturbed young man posted on 4chan what he was going to do and also posted pictures of him with two guns a piece of paper and a pen knife. He was also telling people on omegle whatever the chat/webcam sites name is. The saddest part of all of this is he was reported to the FBI and nothing was done. So whos fault is it yes you can blame gun owners, the parents of the shooter but thats not the case here this boy had issues yes but it slipped through the cracks. Why you ask hmmm maybe to push stricter gun laws.

very interesting.

if this 'prior' planning was known about... why the hell wasn't something done?

edit on 7/3/2012 by Thurisaz because: edit to edit

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
How about Parents teaching their kids MORALS and PRINCIPLES?
Parents taking the time to be involved in their children's lives? How about turning off the electronic devices,and opening up books ?

EVERY law abiding citizen should own a gun.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
What a stupid argument. Tightening gun laws wont stop people being shot, how stupid is that.

Take away your guns is the same as taking away your freedom forever. You have to be a complete moronic idiot to believe gun control works.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Not one single gun has ever killed anyone.....ever!

When will people stop blaming the gun and start blaming the real killer.......

My girlfriend in high-school was killed by a drunk driver just as thousands are every year, so should we start calling for car control or the banning of cars?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join