It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Chicago teacher sues to use n-word in class

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It all goes to context. I think if we hide from things like this, we don't learn from them.

There's a few classic novels that have that word in it.

The SMART thing to do (note I didn't say "legal" or "politically correct") would be to determine if he really needed use that word. If so, a note home to parents explaining how the context the word would be used BEFORE the lesson is taught takes care of a lot of drama before it begins.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
its just a word. just like cracker or honkey. exept they seem to be used alot more.
edit on 20-2-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

Funny. ATS will zap the hell out of the 'n-word' but allows those...

No matter. Sticks and stones... you can't hurt anyone with words and ATS can't hurt anyone with a well meaning, but slanted censorship.

edit on 20-2-2012 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It's all about context.

How about we change the "n-word" to something like "flippedyboop"?

Won't change a thing, it's just a freakin word and if the guy didn't address someone personally with the word then who cares... Those "forbidden" words are only this powerful because people give it that power...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I think there's not going to be a winner or loser here. THAT word ( I despise it coming from anyone) should be erased from humanity's tongue IMHO. I doubt the teacher meant to be offensive with it but he probably should have opted for "N-word", everyone knows what that means.

I realize that in "black culture" it's used in place of bro or friend and that started many years back to take the negativity, insult, and power of the word away from people who are racist against blacks but I don't think it worked too well because to change the meaning of the word it has to be a universally applicable definition. I don't think we're there yet, sadly. There's too much racism all around to be able to throw formally racially charged words around like candy.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Everyone who says it's not just a word and we should never say it?

You're the ones giving the word all the power you see it having.

edit on 20-2-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
That word has NO place in todays society. Shouldn't be spoken by ANYONE. He either had a lapse of judgement, bad, or he's making a political statement., worse. He's there to teach. Not to make statements at his students expense.

Sorry? You want a teach not to teach?

That word is what was used to address and denograte a race for so long should be ignored in the classroom as though it never happend, even though the students will know it did and don't understand the how and why?

It's distasteful, for sure, but we ignore history at our own peril because if we do not learn from it it repeats.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

So how then do you really teach how vile a hatred it represents when it can be used by people making millions with a music career but can't be used in the instruction of students?

Well said.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If he used in a context such as "Black people were frequently subjected to hateful words such as 'n-word'..."
as a way of teaching how damaging hatred and racism is then I see it as almost necessary to use that word to be historically accurate.
There was a thread here not to long ago about a Mark Twain novel being censored and this word taken out, for use in schools for children around this age, and many ATS'ers were up in arms about it.
While this word should never be directed at another human being, we can't just go around sugar coating history.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I didn't know there were so many bleeding hearts here.

A word is a word. It's a tool. It's how you use that tool is what matters. It's the intent.

Kids are growing up faster than ever today. If you shield them and don't treat them as little adults, they'll grow up to be ignorant bastards.

This story reminds me of when they were taking Huckleberry Finn off book shelves, or censoring it. It's BS, and goes against the constitution.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
its just a word. just like cracker or honkey. exept they seem to be used alot more.
edit on 20-2-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

Funny. ATS will zap the hell out of the 'n-word' but allows those...

No matter. Sticks and stones... you can't hurt anyone with words and ATS can't hurt anyone with a well meaning, but slanted censorship.

edit on 20-2-2012 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

I agree, all it takes is for you to just let it go, and suddenly it wouldn't hold as much meaning. I'm not advocating for its use, but you can see how it can create double standards for itself.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Maybe we should all try to get Huckleberry Finn banned again.

Liberals perpetuate racism with their alarmist hysterics. They also encourage a needless victimhood complex. And you make the world a place where Chris Rock is able to continue on with his irrelevant absurd racist unfunny 80's bs.

Liberals keep racism alive. Obama is president for god sake.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What was the context?

I think if he was trying to "Educate the pupils on the pitfalls of racism" then he has every right to say the word, regardless of his race.

No word should just be banned outright all together.

He was using it within the context of a lesson and to educate people.

This is just ludicrous man... I hope the teacher wins his case.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
'n-word' is as bad as ##snip## if not wrose! - its a swear words that discriminates to one particular race.

There are plenty of words any race can freely call one another and yet this particular one is censored.

Why not just censor the whole english language and start again from scratch.

We can call it, 'churchypolitelalaimnotlistening'. Or just have a competition for the best word for it and the winner gets a stern lecture on how not to offend people by staying home and hiding in a corner.
edit on Mon Feb 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: quote edit

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That word has NO place in todays society.

Well...agree in terms of its use as a pejorative.....but, where is a line drawn in teaching the historical relavance of ANY pejorative?

I can name a dozen to hand....(I won't)...[[EDIT...oh, dear....member IAMIAM just above did so....oh, dear....Pandora's Box has been opened!!
]]....but we all know them. AND, these sorts of pejorative slang terms are culturally-specific and generationally specific as well....

Maybe we should AIR THEM OUT, and examine them??

edit on Mon 20 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

We cannot, and most importantly SHOULD NOT "run away" from these!!

The TV cartoon show South Park, to their credit, took upon themselves to highlight a particular word that is banned from TV airing. (It is something that is a bodily function, and we ALL do it, to excrete waste).

But, that poor four-letter word is deemed "offensive"....even though there is a perfectly "acceptable" alternate...."poop".

This is madness!!!

We should not be beholden to such antiquated and silly stylings of culture......

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Source

Hey guys, sorry. I completely forgot to add the link into my OP. I thought I had, but I hadn't. And I'm past the limit to edit that post. Again, sorry everyone. Massive blonde moment.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
What was the context?

I think if he was trying to "Educate the pupils on the pitfalls of racism" then he has every right to say the word, regardless of his race.

No word should just be banned outright all together.

He was using it within the context of a lesson and to educate people.

This is just ludicrous man... I hope the teacher wins his case.

According to the principal of the school:

Mason gave a different account of the incident and charged Brown with "using verbally abusive language to or in front of students" and "cruel, immoral, negligent or criminal conduct or communication to a student, that causes psychological or physical harm" which is in violation of the Chicago Public Schools policy.

Honestly, I'm with the school on this. It's not okay, in any way, to use that type of language in front of a class of sixth graders. No matter the context. It's just as easy to say "n-word" without using the actual word and still teach accordingly.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
If he used in a context such as "Black people were frequently subjected to hateful words such as 'n-word'..."
as a way of teaching how damaging hatred and racism is then I see it as almost necessary to use that word to be historically accurate.
There was a thread here not to long ago about a Mark Twain novel being censored and this word taken out, for use in schools for children around this age, and many ATS'ers were up in arms about it.
While this word should never be directed at another human being, we can't just go around sugar coating history.

You don't have to use the word to teach or be historically accurate. Saying "n-word" is just as good, and doesn't offend anyone present. Kids are smarter than you think, and would know what the teacher is talking about without directly saying it. If I were the parents of lone of those kids in his class, I would be furious. I don't want my children learning that type of language, from anyone. Would you enjoy having your 11-12 year old come home one day and say "We learned about 'n-word's today!"?
Not from a teacher, not from music, TV, myself, or anyone else.
edit on Mon Feb 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I agree, all it takes is for you to just let it go, and suddenly it wouldn't hold as much meaning. I'm not advocating for its use, but you can see how it can create double standards for itself.
reply to post by andersensrm

What we call 'freedom' is based on a very simple concept; that regardless of our individual beliefs or our religion... or anything else, we can live and think and speak openly alongside all the rest of humanity that has come to this place seeking the same thing.

Now, one thing we should all know... is that one big part of the human condition is that, we are not all the same. we don't look the same, we don't think the same, we don't like the same things... we are 'individuals'.

Wow. 7 Billion individuals... and now, what do you do if there are some words from a particularly nasty part of history you would like to erase from the global lexicon?

Well, you could make laws... which would make crimes out of words and criminals out of those who chose... who dared to speak them.

Way to go.

Or... we could spend some time and educate our children to the depths of horridness that these words trace back to and educate them as to the hurt they can carry for those who are not able to simply walk away from an auditory or written word.

We would not have to create a criminal class of our fellow citizens because... well, we took the time to educate them from the beginning and with a good education of history, among other things, racism becomes something MOST people want no part of.

We have outgrown that.

The censoring of words... like the burning of books, becomes a thing of times past and we can learn from that as well.

But... this is NOT a one-sided affair. We have to recognize our problems from both sides of the equation. It cannot be a one-size-fits-al... you-can't-say-this proposition because if there is ONE thing we ALL rail against, it is being told that we CAN'T say this word or CAN'T think this thought.

A calmer maturity is what we need. Not more laws to make more bad people who don't have to be bad.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join