It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google analytics & ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Wasn't sure what forum to put this in...

A few minutes ago I clicked on "new topics" to see what sort of reading material was coming across...

My browser (firefox) lagged and I noticed at the bottom it said "connecting to google analytics"...

At the time I was logged into Youtube on another tab (in case it matters).

Does google leach browsing activity from other tabs while I'm logged into a google related service or is it something that ATS runs through?

I'd appreciate it if someone with a bit more familiarity could please explain exactly what is going on?
edit on 9-2-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Its something that ATS runs

Google analytics is primary to gather traffic statistic about the website you own.

How many visitors per hour/day/weeks etc..., from what country, duration of connection, pages browsed etc...

Google analytics is one of the 6 webmaster tools ATS runs in the background

others are :

Chartbeat : traffic analytics

Doubleclick : Ads management

Gorilla Nation : Online advertising sales company

Quantcast : enables to buy and sell targeted audiences ads in real time

Scorecard research Beacon : create reports on Internet behavior and trends

edit on 9/2/2012 by B3lz3buth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
That's interesting. I've been plagued by Google Analytics, like some kind of virus, taking me to pages other than what I've selected. It's intensely annoying. Is that ATS's doing?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what your question is but Google analytics is a web application used by many webmasters on the internet. It would be no shock to me if a site as big as ATS is using analytics to get traffic stats and metrics to better optimize there site for their users. It really is not that big of a deal, besides the lag you will get from sites using it. If you find it a problem a simple search on the internet can help you find a way to shut it off. I know that the firefox browser has plugins to stop analytics from affecting you. As for Google keeping track of you...just don't use the internet lol. Hope this helped.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Google Analytics is used by mostly ALL serious websites.

Its a kind of mandatory tools for ANY webmaster like Alexa is another one vastly used

GA only gather data, i don't think your redirect issue was caused by google analytics.

Its probably caused by some kind of ads management trackers.

If you run Firefox, Ghostery is a addon that show you what trackers runs in background and give you the option to block them.

GHOSTERY Firefox Addon

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Absolutely it does leach information. Just last month I put in a search on google for a museum in my state, and low and behold guess what museum was advertising on the top of ATS The next time I got online.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

Thanks...well...I guess I'm wondering how this information can be handled now that google's privacy policy is changing to share information between their services

Would google analytics service make a connection between other google services I may be logged into?

Assuming the information initially collected by google analytics is impersonal - would my simply being logged into a google service identify the analytics information from ATS with my specific google account?

I guess an easier way to ask that is - if I'm logged into google can google now legally track me surfing ATS simply because of consent to their new privacy policy?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

Assuming the information initially collected by google analytics is impersonal

Not so impersonal

With analytics the site got : your country, your IP adress --> your internet service provider

IP adresses can be tracked.

Would google analytics service make a connection between other google services I may be logged into?

I don't know but they can if they want.

Mostly ALL website you visit uses google analytics, google know your IP

worst case scenario you can be traced / tracked everywhere and they know who you are

How ?

you have a internet connection --> your ISP know you --> they have access to ISP database

or did you have a facebook acount ? member of a online dating site ? Make some online bank transactions ? ever pay with you credit card ?

The list goes on forever but you get the point.

Internet Privacy is a JOKE

With your IP adresse and the right tools there is no boundary about the data they can collect about YOU personally.

if I'm logged into google can google now legally track me surfing ATS simply because of consent to their new privacy policy?

Its a hard one

I said, LEGALLY no because ATS is not owned by google, but behind the scene yes they can track you surfing ATS and any sites they want

If anyone have the accurate answer about the new google policy feel free to correct me.

Btw i suggest using StartPage.com instead of Google, its a secure private search engine.

www.StartPage.com

Boycott Google

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

Thank you for the info.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thank you! Great info!

join