It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

icelandic lake monster spotted! (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

icelandic lake monster spotted! (VIDEO)

io9.com

Icelandic lake monster spotted slithering through ice
Cameraman Hjörtur Kjerúlf captured this video of the Lagarfljótsormurinn (or Lagarfljóts Worm) wending its way through its home in Lake Lagarfljót.

This creature has been sighted on and off since 1345 and possesses an origin straight out of one of Hellboy's less exciting adventures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

My views below.

edit on 7-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
According to legend, it was at first a tiny worm which was placed on a ring of gold to make the gold grow. When the owner of the ring returned she noticed to her great terror that the worm had grown immensely but not the gold. She tossed the ring and worm into Lagarfljót where the worm continued to grow.

Here it is on youtube:

Moderators: Please feel free to move the thread.

I for one welcome our new Monster overlords!

IF, and thats a big IF, a prehistoric creature could survive without detection, ICELAND would be a great place to hide.
We are still finding new species every year.
Loch Ness has been evaluated through and through. Nothing there.
Not to mention that it was a hoax in the first place.
However, legends, such as these, are almost many times rooted in at least some facts.

Could be a fake, but why couldn't a few ice monsters exist there? Large enough area, few people.
Check this out:
en.wikipedia.org...
ant this video:

Now ice worms coming out are a sight to behold. Totally alien like, will try to find a video.

io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I'm sure I can hear the sound of a little motor/propeller.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

Even better!
Then its obviously a left over bit of nanotechnology from our alien brethren

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Cool video!

Reminds me of a koolasuchus:

Koolasuchus was an aquatic temnospondyl estimated to have been around 4 to 5 metres (13 to 16 ft) in length.[1] Its mass has been estimated to be up to 500 kilograms (1,100 lb).[2] Although represented by incomplete material, the skull was likely 65 centimetres (26 in) long.[3] Like other chigutisaurids, it had a wide, rounded head and tabular horns projecting from the backside of the skull.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

I have no idea what that could be. Looks like a python , but that's impossible .

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I can imagine it look like this

can someone post a picture from the video
im at work.. would like to see what was spotted

Edit : saw the video .. it look like mechanical serpent with a crocodile head
i think it is fake

but nice video
thanks
edit on 2/7/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I would call it suspect considering how much movement is happening in this river. Alot of ice and areas of turbulence in the water... My guess is something caught in the current? Would have been nice to actually see this move against the current, but the vid makes it hard to tell if it is actually swimming as opposed to just flopping around.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
reply to post by BBalazs

I have no idea what that could be. Looks like a python , but that's impossible .

Thanks, will add video to OP.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Looks a bit like the Mersey River Monster.
Or maybe its the Borneo Monsters baby

edit on 7-2-2012 by theubermensch because: whoops

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

could be fake, but its pretty cool. not overdone. can't we dream?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Yes we can

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
scooby doo where r u !

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
We can dream, yes

The head shape very definitely resembles a large python.
The rest of the body looks melted? Or maybe it's just a bunch of river debris caught and stuck on it?

I moves like a python in water too, albeit slowly which would be accurate were the snake capable of moving at all in the cold temperatures.

If this IS a python, or other similar constrictor, I suspect a staged act involving cruelty to this poor animal that may have potentially died due to exposure to such extreme cold/freezing conditions it's not acclimated to or evolved to cope with.

I can't image someone doing this to their own pet, so, were this an act of cruelty, it could also be someone else's stolen pet.
Then again, pythons are pretty strong when they get that large, so, there is a tiny chance one escaped domesticity, but, this would have had to have been filmed very soon after that escape since such a snake wouldn't last that long, maybe only a few hours if not just 30 minutes.

edit on 7-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Someone said it looks like piece of tarp caught in the turbulence. The moving water could be giving the illusion that it's swimming upstream but it might just caught at the "head" and undulating side to side. If that's a real creature it's the ugliest I've ever seen. Keep it away from me.

Reminds me of the water monster in Stephen King's short story -The Raft.

Great for ATS,

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

IF, and thats a big IF, a prehistoric creature could survive without detection, ICELAND would be a great place to hide.
We are still finding new species every year.
Loch Ness has been evaluated through and through.
Not to mention that it was a hoax in the first place.
However, legends, such as these, are almost always rooted in at least some facts.

Could be a fake, but why couldn't a few ice monsters exist there? Large enough area, few people.
Check this out:
en.wikipedia.org...
ant this video:

I will add this to OP.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I want one! it looks awesome. Does it have any kind of law protecting it like Champ?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Looks like a python I think too, but a flipping big one!

Yes, I know they are not endemic, but maybe someone dumped a pet? Put it on the net for lol's?

*scratches head

edit. grrr nineix beat me to it!

edit on 7-2-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I am not convinced that this is real.

When the 'creature' undulates in the water, it appears to move in fairly large segments. A real creature like a snake or eel has many, tiny vertebrae that make any movements like that very sinuous.

I say hoax.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The Scandinavians were some of the best navigators known to man. As much time as they spent on the water they would be most likely to see any "monsters". I for one don't think they were crazy or lying when they talked about giant sea monsters. I'm not saying this is irrefutable evidence of a crytoids existence, but I think its very possible.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join