It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Supply upgrade help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have a MPC ClientPro 345 that has a Sparkle FSP250-60ATV power supply. I wish to upgrade the graphics card to one that will handle HD video. To do so I also need to upgrade my power supply to 450W or better. Finding one for this PC has turned into a needle in the haystack search. Can anyone help with an exact match or an easier way of finding one?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Do you know what size the case is?
Or the form factor of the motherboard? It looks like it should handle a regular sized power supply, but there's a couple different models im seeing :/, and no specs i can find

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rleexray

"Model

Brand
SPARKLE

Model
FSP250-60ATV

Spec

Type
ATX

Maximum Power
250W"

yea you sure do need an upgrade. !

Minimum 500! , but are you not afraid of bottlenecking the video card with that pc ? The video card is only as strong as its weakest link ! Surely you should upgrade a pc , you'l be robbing that card .
edit on 4-2-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I would look through the list.

www.ebay.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

nvm, see previous poster.

edit on 4/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: nvm

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
That rig looks old. The dark blue casing gives me that vibe, early 2000s?

If that's the case (no pun lol) it would be cheaper and more efficient towards your mental prowess to just get a new rig. You can build a rig capable for all today's new games for $500, $600 max, not including monitor. You can even go cheaper with older parts from no later than 2009. The power supply looks like the standard size.

Where I purchase mine too the sizes barely vary and there's anywhere from 300 to 1000+ watts.

My rig, not to brag, because I can't truthfully, but it was built from scratch in an Antec 100 case. Very cheap nowadays, and my power supply is a 700w which was around $80 at the time time, with an E8400 and a GTX 460. Today all of that is mad cheap and considered outdated yet all HD video, The Old Republic, Metro 2033, demanding titles like that run fine. Don't buy into the e peen craze, but upgrade to a new PC if you can. Using an old system and putting in new parts can be a bad move as well, creating bottlenecks and potentially taking from the part's life.

It is saying that your PC supports AGP 8x, which might be a bit too old, correct me if I'm wrong.
edit on 2/4/2012 by Ajanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It might be in your best interest to invest in a bigger case,
You can get a mid-tower case for below 50 bucks if you shop around, and it will fit any standard sized power supply.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ajanta

If that's the case it would be cheaper and more efficient towards your mental prowess to just get a new rig. You can build a rig capable for all today's new games for $500, $600 max, not including monitor. You can even go cheaper with older parts from no later than 2009. The power supply looks like the standard size.

Where I purchase mine too the sizes barely vary and there's anywhere from 300 to 1000+ watts.

My rig, not to brag, because I can't truthfully, but it was built from scratch in an Antec 100 case. Very cheap nowadays, and my power supply is a 700w which was around $80 at the time time, with an E8400 and a GTX 460. Today all of that is mad cheap and considered outdated yet all HD video, The Old Republic, Metro 2033, demanding titles like that run fine. Don't buy into the e peen craze and upgrade to a new PC if you can. Using an old system and putting in new parts can be a bad move as well, creating bottlenecks and potentially taking from the part's life.

It is saying that your PC would only support AGP 8x, which might be a bit too old, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice specs for your PC!
I have a Q9550 on a p5q mobo with a Hyper 212+ for a cooler

And a Radeon 5870

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
www.xpcgear.com...

has a 450W psu with a PCI-E power connector for a decent video card.

Lol man from the OP's post only, a quick search and blammo, it's full already !

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

If that's the case it would be cheaper and more efficient towards your mental prowess to just get a new rig. You can build a rig capable for all today's new games for $500, $600 max, not including monitor. You can even go cheaper with older parts from no later than 2009. The power supply looks like the standard size.

My rig, not to brag, because I can't truthfully, but it was built from scratch in an Antec 100 case. Very cheap nowadays, and my power supply is a 700w which was around $80 at the time time, with an E8400 and a GTX 460. Today all of that is mad cheap and considered outdated yet all HD video, The Old Republic, Metro 2033, demanding titles like that run fine. Don't buy into the e peen craze and upgrade to a new PC if you can. Using an old system and putting in new parts can be a bad move as well, creating bottlenecks and potentially taking from the part's life.

It is saying that your PC would only support AGP 8x, which might be a bit too old, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice specs for your PC!
I have a Q9550 on a p5q mobo with a Hyper 212+ for a cooler

And a Radeon 5870

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

It is saying that your PC supports AGP 8x, which might be a bit too old, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ohh I missed that. AGP is .. I'm not sure about HD quality video with that to be honest...

the last time I had an AGP video card it was an nvidia fx 5500 or something, and that is worse than any integrated video on todays boards.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

You are completely correct except mine is a D865GLC, a mid 2000s model with a 2.8 ghz processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I don't play games, so I really don't see a problem with bottlenecking. The card I intend to use will be a Radeon 3650 or 4650 (probably the 4650 for hdmi output). The HD video will be the most taxing thing I use it for.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Do you know what size the case is?

The PS case is 6.00" Wide X 3.25" Tall X 5.5 " Deep. The fan and cord socket are on the rear (6"X3.25").

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
A few things, briefly.

None of the components you have listed in your PC's setup are going to be taxing, in any way, shape or form, on a PSU. With that said though... the power supply is really the most important part of any PC's setup. Obviously if it doesn't work well, neither will anything else.

People often ignore this fact and buy generic PSUs, or PSUs from... less reputable suppliers...

the important thing is that you make sure that it has enough amps to provide a consistent power supply to your components. The wattage is great (you'll only need about 400w for that setup, btw), but make sure that you have at least 40 amps, so that the power draw of your components isn't compronised.

Recommended brands? Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair (I have a corsair TX-850, love it)... if you google though, before you make a purchase, and check out reviews of what you're looking into, that'll give you a good idea as to whether or not you're buying the right kind of PSU.

Hope that helps...
now all you need to do is find a PSU that is the right size! Look for a small form factor power supply, and double check the dimensions before you buy.

Now, the only other thing to consider is...
at the price it will cost you to buy a new PSU, you could probably pick up a cheap 2nd hand PC that is MUCH more powerful than what you already have, at auction. So... maybe pursue that avenue too?

Oh, and with a 2.8ghz P4, you will have issues with HD video (if we're talking 1080p) unless you use hardware accelerated video, so look into using Media Player Classic and dxva acceleration.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by
It might be in your best interest to invest in a bigger case,
You can get a mid-tower case for below 50 bucks if you shop around, and it will fit any standard sized power supply.

I would totally agree with AzureSky, some of those older cases are power supply specific, and a generic one just will not fit. Ran into this a few times on Dells and HPs. I built my own rig for $600, ASRock board, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA drive, 750 Watt Corsair Professional Series HX750 PS. All in a black, custom tall ATX case with neon lights in front and digital temp gauge, DVD-RW and CD-RW. Here is where I shop for parts: www.outletpc.com...
Great service, returns without question, fast delivery. Highly recommended.

new topics

top topics

join