It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Should Have Access to Student Records?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Good question.

Ever since the failed No Child Left Behind program started 10 years ago, apparently schools have been collecting more specific data on students. The data includes info about teachers, economic status, pregnancies and disciplinary issues and God knows what else.

It seems parents and the students themselves have the least access to all this "data" !!!

That might be the conspiracy.

Just WHO is involved with all this ?

Just WHAT is the main and hidden agendas ?

Is this whole scheme some wild attempt to somehow "equalize" the system in favor of more and more "nationalized" wide-area programs for big time funding to the "intelectual community" ?

And of course the big question:

Who Pays and WHO gets paid the Most ??

By Jason Koebler
January 19, 2012 -- U.S. News article

Education data can be useful, but privacy experts are concerned about data misuse.

Since “No Child Left Behind” was passed 10 years ago, states have been required to ramp up the amount of data they collect about individual students, teachers, and schools. Personal information, including test scores, economic status, grades, and even disciplinary problems and student pregnancies, are tracked and stored in a kind of virtual “permanent record” for each student.

But parents and students have very little access to that data, according to a report released Wednesday by the Data Quality Campaign, an organization that advocates for expanded data use.

All 50 states and Washington, D.C. collect long term, individualized data on students performance, but just eight states allow parents to access their child’s permanent record. Forty allow principals to access the data and 28 provide student-level info to teachers.

Who Should Have Access to Student Records?

Sounds Like A "Credit Report" on Our Kids !!

former Washington, D.C., Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee said:

“The data can be an absolute game changer,” she says. “If you have the data, and you can invest and engage children and their families in this data, it can change a culture quickly.”

Hmmm. Just what would somebody want to "change" anyway ?

And that "change" might be by only the ones who see it !!

Limited Access = Unlimited Agendas !!

And what about all that "tainted" and "tweaked" data ?

How Does Anyone Know for Sure if the Data is Genuine and Accurate ?

Some of these wild programs remind me of some kind of U.N. NWO agenda !

edit on Jan-27-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Dear xuanchen,

Actually I started a thread on this issue already and also discussed the move to require biometric identification for kids. Biometric Identificatino and the SAT. Short answer is they want your kids biometric and dna information and will keep it in their permanent school records which parents cannot even see in many states.

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This seems like a no-brainer and common sense.....and I again what happened to that common sense. lol.. It got lost somewhere.

What part of simply making the records carte blanche open to Parents/Guardians and with restrictions the parents are aware of and do NOT have on complete file access, to the students themselves, do the schools not get? It's just something that shouldn't require debate. They aren't law enforcement or some intelligence agency, so what is THEIR logic and rationalization for keeping secrets from the parents? It doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

I don't know when society started accepting the idea that any and all records kept on US, personally, are okay when we don't have unquestioned access to seeing our own, but that is certainly an area it seems to me would be good for protest.

It would be a real winner for political leaders to commit to in a serious way too. Just a thought for a campaign thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Sounds pretty Big Brotherish to me. TPTB are obsessed with datamining and amassing huge databases on people. They will continue until we say no.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

At an event discussing the Data Quality Campaign report Wednesday, Rhee said students also used the information to try to out-achieve each other.

“The data can be an absolute game changer,” she says. “If you have the data, and you can invest and engage children and their families in this data, it can change a culture quickly.”

I would be very afraid of this agenda.

The data could easily be mis-interpreted and used against someone also.

The intellectuals and academics make plenty of "mistakes",
many times in their favor.

Just look at all the failures that have been created for millions of dollars.

Only the taxpayers get to pay the penalties.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

According to a 2009 report by the Fordham University Center on Law and Information Policy, some states store student’s social security numbers, family financial information, and student pregnancy data. Nearly half of states track students’ mental health issues, illnesses, and jail sentences.Without access to their child’s data, parents have no way of knowing what teachers and others are learning about them.

The federal government is taking steps to make the data more secure, however. In December, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act was revised to give parents more control over their children’s records. According to a parent information sheet released by the government, the revisions give parents “certain rights with regard to their children’s education records, such as the right to inspect and review [their] child’s education records.” But it also allows student information to be shared without parental consent.

Notice how the two paragraphs lead away from the issue of inaccurate information.

False information can easily be entered into a database.

An open review by the victims Parents/Students would threaten any effort to inject tainted/altered information.

The whole article does not address altered/tainted information.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Sounds pretty Big Brotherish to me. TPTB are obsessed with datamining and amassing huge databases on people. They will continue until we say no.

Simple. The more information you have about the past and the present= the more accurately you can predict the future.

Sometimes I think I am the lone normal person in a "assisted living" community for the mildly mentally disabled. Then again I have never subjected myself to the consumption of fluoridated water....

join