It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: Morgellons Disease May Be Psychiatric Disorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Just an update on the latest CDC study on Morgellons for those following.

www.WebMD.com

Jan. 26, 2012 -- Extensive study of people suffering from Morgellons disease -- including analysis of their mysterious "skin fibers" -- finds no underlying cause of the illness.

Morgellons symptoms are as creepy as the name implies. Patients report slow-to-heal sores that often feel like bugs are crawling under their skin. They often scratch themselves raw. And they also report that mysterious colored fibers, granules, worms, eggs, fuzzballs, or other stuff comes out of their skin.

The CDC study was launched in 2008 at the request of California Sen. Dianne Feinstein because of a rash of Morgellons reports in that state.

The findings do not rule out the possibility that Morgellons is a newly recognized disease, note CDC researcher Michele L. Pearson, MD, and colleagues in the online journal PLoS One.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Morgellons Mystery: No Medical Explanation for ‘Crawling Skin’ DiseaseRead more: healthland.time.com...

Morgellons discounted as psychological

Everyone seems to be picking up this update...Newsday, Time, all networks. Why again? Why now. Hmm....

edit on 1/26/2012 by ~Lucidity because: fixed link...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
How do you get Morgellons disease? And did they say....worms....crawling out of their skin?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosorapter

the most common 'symptom' as black or see thru hairs that grow out of you and seem,more or less,to have a 'minds' of their own!
now,having said that,i'm getting older,and i have hairs that 'appear' out of no where!

but they are usually in my ears or in my nose,so i take the needed actions!!!!!!

this 'disease', in my humble opinion, is a crock!
what ever happened to the yuppy disease of the '80's?!!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

So the fibers found are thought to be a result of scratching and embedding clothing fibers? Well I guess that kind of explains the fibers.

Leitao got the word "Morgellons" from a 17th century text describing an illness in which black hairs were said to appear on the backs of children in France. The name stuck, even though there's no evidence the disease is linked to the modern condition.

I did not know it has been around so long, did a lot(most) people wear black back then? Another source called them bristles, not hairs.

As in previous studies of Morgellons, the patients tended to be female (77%) and white (77%).

Wonder the significance of this? The white could be just population numbers but why women?

The study was conducted among 3.2 million people in Northern California who all had health insurance through Kaiser Permanente from 2006 to 2008. Based on patient records, the researchers identified 115 patients who had reported symptoms consistent with Morgellons. Of those patients, 77% were white and female, with an average age of 52.

So does N. Cali have the most reported cases, and what's with the age average? Could this have anything to do with menopause and all it's crazy body system changes?

A few doctors, however, have taken note and are convinced that Morgellons is a real disease. One theory is that the fibers are plant-based and that the cause for tree tumors has found its way into the human body. Another theory is that the fibers are the shells of worms that invade the human body. Neither theory is exactly comforting, although they are more comforting that the conspiracy theories that abound related to government toxin cover-ups and alien invasions.

www.bizarremedical.com...
Well that last one sure fits in here at ATS

Anyone here know anyone that had this?

spec

ETA: answer my own question about most reported locations and it seems to be Cali, Texas and Florida.
www.morgellonsresearchfoundation.com...
edit on 26-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I believe Morgellons Disease to be a neurological virus type disorder

Something like Shingles but a lot longer lasting.

The bugs under the skin sensation is common in a number of neuropathies and makes it one clue its neurological(small fiber neuropathy????)

I have small fiber neuropathy with the bugs under the skin sensation so i under stand that part

The CDC researchers could not find any explanation for sensations participants reported under their skin

A lot of people with fibromyalgia and neuropathies report these same sensations so there researcher have a problem.

A majority of health professionals, including most dermatologists, regard Morgellons as a manifestation of other known medical conditions

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I believe if you have an underlying disorder, are prone to anxiety, it is more than possible to worsen the symptoms with negative thoughts and feelings.

I have experienced this in small ways with panic attacks in my youth ect.

This sounds along the same lines but way more serious.

It is possible to think yourself sick physically.....and all that is normally done in medicate to sooth so to speak.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The biggest clue that this is more government cover-up junk science to me is that all testing of samples were done at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP), as confirmed by reading the actual study.

I would like to see an independent laboratory NOT affiliated with the government test these samples. Of course there would be cotton and other fibers on the scabs. HELLO. Although AFIP has expertise in hard-to-diagnose issues, the fact that it is government rules out objectivity in this case, as Morgellons is thought to be a bioweapon.

It wasn't so long ago that the CDC and our government went out of their way to say that fibromyalgia was only an invention of the imaginations of lonely, pathetic middle-aged white women. Now they have proven it to be an actual disease most likely caused by mycloplasma infection, and the mycoplasma uses the estrogen pathways in the body to move about, hence the heavy preponderance for being observed mainly in women.

Weaponized mycoplasma is a gift from our government, created at Ft. Detrick, Maryland, and tested at the Plum Island biological facility.

Dr. Edward Spencer states:

n an interview with these authors, Dr. Spencer said, “I regard Morgellons disorder as a hybrid bio-nano-machine terror weapon. Establishment medicine and the government, which is now a fraudulent foreign owned corporation, go to great lengths to protect Morgellons from investigation of any sort. Morgellons is not one thing but is actually a system of multiple attack vectors that damage the body in numerous ways and carry various DNA and RNA strands. It is made in laboratories by talented men and women who have lost their souls and adhere to satanic principles.”

From the following: www.voltairenet.org...

Note in the above article that Dr. Spencer states that Morgellons is similar to Lyme Disease, given to us courtesy of Plum Island, which was transferred to Lyme, Connecticut via ticks infected with the mycoplasma which then hitched a ride on deer which swam to the island and then swam back to the mainland. Morgellons is thought to be spread via chemtrails, although there is no proof of this.

Also note the odd relationship between Morgellons and GMO foods:

Another line of inquiry, for both medical professionals as well as independent researchers, has been the question of whether a relationship exists between genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and Morgellons disease. Research published by the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 2007 indicated a possible connection between Morgellons disease and agrobacterium, a soil bacterium that possesses the natural ability to transfer parts of its genetic material to plant cells. Agrobacterium has been used extensively in agricultural genetic engineering. The pilot study (which included genetic skin testing of only two individuals) stated: “Morgellons skin fibers appear to contain cellulose. This observation indicates possible involvement of pathogenic Agrobacterium, which is known to produce cellulose fibers at infection sites within host tissues.” In an update to the study, researcher Vitaly Citovsky, Ph.D., stated: “Our continuing screen of additional Morgellons patients has identified Agrobacterium genetic material in three additional individuals. Thus, all Morgellons patients screened to date have tested positive for the presence of Agrobacterium, whereas this microorganism has not been detected in any of the samples derived from the control, healthy individuals.”

The only reason the government is coming out and "blaming the victim" is that the cases are increasing to the point where they have to do damage control.
edit on 26-1-2012 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Just an update on the latest CDC study on Morgellons for those following.

www.WebMD.com

Jan. 26, 2012 -- Extensive study of people suffering from Morgellons disease -- including analysis of their mysterious "skin fibers" -- finds no underlying cause of the illness.

Morgellons symptoms are as creepy as the name implies. Patients report slow-to-heal sores that often feel like bugs are crawling under their skin. They often scratch themselves raw. And they also report that mysterious colored fibers, granules, worms, eggs, fuzzballs, or other stuff comes out of their skin.

The CDC study was launched in 2008 at the request of California Sen. Dianne Feinstein because of a rash of Morgellons reports in that state.

The findings do not rule out the possibility that Morgellons is a newly recognized disease, note CDC researcher Michele L. Pearson, MD, and colleagues in the online journal PLoS One.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Morgellons Mystery: No Medical Explanation for ‘Crawling Skin’ DiseaseRead more: healthland.time.com...

Morgellons discounted as psychological

Everyone seems to be picking up this update...Newsday, Time, all networks. Why again? Why now. Hmm....

edit on 1/26/2012 by ~Lucidity because: fixed link...

Hi,

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS! ITS A COVERUP... THE CDC ARE STALLING...THE CDC KNOW ITS REAL BUT THEY WANNA KEEP IT UNDER WRAPS AS LONG AS THEY CAN BY THE OLD WORN OUT PLOY OF CALLING SUFFERERS LOONIES!

I'VE READ UMPTEEN SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PAPERS AND PODCASTS AND VIDEOS ON THE REALITY OF THIS!

LISTEN... I WILL SAY THIS ONLY ONCE...Morgellons is a REAL FRIGHTENING (GOVERNMENT LABORATORY CREATED ENGINEERED) DISEASE. PEOPLE HAVE SUICIDED OVER THE DIFFERENT COLORED FIBERS ALIVE ALL OVER YOUR BODY GROWING MOVING POKING THROUGH YOUR SKIN, YOU PULL OUT THE EG. BLUE FIBERS! CHECK OUT THE OFFICIAL VIDEO (PLAYS ON TOP LEFT OF PAGE) ON LINK BELOW! IF IN DOUBT ABOUT ANYTHING...THEN GO TO THE "SOURCE" ... www.morgellons.org...

GENUINE MORGELLONS SUFFERERS ARE NOT CRAZY!

THE CDC USE LOONIES WHO HAVEN'T GOT THE DISEASE TO DISCREDIT REAL SUFFERERS! BASTARDS!

A BRITISH biologist who lives in Paphos has been studying chemtrails for years and has even taken samples and given them to the Agriculture Ministry. A more pressing worry however for Caroline Carter are her recurring bouts with Morgellons disease, which she, and thousands like her, believe is linked to chemtrails.

Carter, who now practises alternative therapies, moved to Paphos from the UK in 2008 to escape what she believed to be harmful chemtrails over Surrey.

The biologist says that chemtrails were not really apparent when she moved to the island three years ago but that occurrences had greatly increased by 2010. "I'm a scientist and I like to work on what I know. I have samples, so know chemtrails are happening. As to the reasons why, I don't know."

Carter believes she contracted Morgellons in the UK after one morning finding her garden and surrounding area "covered in a very strange web-like substance". She said it was thicker than an insect web, fluorescent, and resembled chicken wire, and the green foliage on which the material had settled quickly died. While collecting the web she felt a bite or a sting on her left upper arm, which continued to itch for months. She also breathed in fibres from the substance.

"I got in touch with researchers in the States who had been investigating chemtrails for quite a long time. I received info and air samples, which had been collected after heavy chemtrailing. They seemed to be highly pathogenic and contained all sorts of strange things," said Carter.

Carter sent samples of the fibres that came out of her skin to other biologists but no one could identify them.

"The fibres are alive; yet you can't dissect them and they are unbreakable. They are inorganic but they are alive," said Carter. She has also tried burning them but they did not carbonise. However if fibres are protruding through a patient's skin they pull back at a lit match, Carter said.

In the most recent outbreak in November 2010, Carter says the fibres, some of which appeared to have insect-type legs came out of her face and neck. "We need geneticists to look at this. As a biologist, I know what things should look like, and I and other biologists have never seen anything like this before. My face was horrific and very painful."

Carter says after she handed over a file on chemtrails to the authorities, she subsequently received a visit from a man who said he was from the Cyprus government "and they know about it and wanted it kept quiet," she said.

What is Morgellons?

Morgellons is a controversial condition referred to by the American Centers for Disease Control as unexplained dermopathy. Most sufferers - in the US there are around 60,000 - believe their condition is caused by chemtrails. They complain of sensations of itching, stinging or biting, finding blue, red, black and clear fibres on or under the skin; and persistent skin lesions with black specks falling off their bodies.

Reports have been made of different bugs and worms coming out of the body through the lesions. Most doctors, including dermatologists and psychiatrists, regard Morgellons as a manifestation of known medical conditions, including delusional parasitosis, where patients hold an imaginary belief that they are infested with parasites. However this does not explain the actually existence of the fibres, for which there is substantial evidence. A researcher at the Oklahoma State University Hospital found that dermatologists who either didn't look at all, or didn't use a dermatoscope, might not see the fibres under the skin.

In an article published in The Los Angeles Times last year singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell said she suffered from Morgellons.

"I have this weird, incurable disease that seems like it's from outer space. Fibres in a variety of colours protrude out of my skin like mushrooms after a rainstorm: they cannot be forensically identified as animal, vegetable or mineral. Morgellons is a slow, unpredictable killer - a terrorist disease," she said. "In America, Morgellons is always diagnosed as 'delusion of parasites', and they send you to a psychiatrist. I'm actually trying to get out of the music business to battle for Morgellons sufferers to receive the credibility that's owed to them."

jonimitchell.com...
edit on 26-1-2012 by neotech1neothink because: add text + link

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am convinced my mother had this. She had the very issues all of the sufferers complain of. I could never see anything so, when the doctors couldn't find anything, they convinced me she was delusional.

I SO regret having let that happen. When my mom first complained of this, the internet wasn't quite the resource it is now so I wasn't able to find out how many other people had these same symptoms until after she died. My mom was an extremely rational person, not at all subject to flights of fancy or bouts of anxiety. My mom had had a stroke years earlier and had severe aphasia (the inability to remember words) so a lot of people thought she had mental deficiencies but, her ability to think and reason were not impaired.

With hindsight, I suspect it is something she contracted while in the hospital. She had been traveling out of country and suffered congestive heart failure. She was flown back to the states for recovery and while in the hospital, contracted MRSA. It was shortly after she was released that she started complaining about the "bugs."

Having read up on this some after finally stumbling across an article or two a couple of things really stand out. One) While the majority are white females, not all are... there are children and entire families that are affected.
Two) What is is the likelihood that in multiple locations thousands of people develop the same delusion in a relatively short time frame?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I see this article as disinformation and I connect it to psychiatrists and their growing hunger for more power and authority. The area of medical science referred to as psychiatry is trying to gain more and more power. There are many psychiatrists who call themselves forensic psychiatrists - translates to - do not treat my patients with a view to assisting with their health but diagnose so that my reports can be used in administrative procedures.

This article reeks of disinformation. There are reports written by doctors to support an organic source, photographic evidence, first hand testimony from sufferers documenting the onset and acceleration of infection...

All in your head - no way! Be aware that the psychiatry manual that lists all the current disorders will soon have added to it - a disorder for people who want to eat only organic food, a disorder for people who grieve for longer than six weeks and any other disorder they can conjure up.

I say the psychiatrists need to be examined - not for telling people that morgellons is all in the patients head - BUT - for thinking that people would fall for an article like this.

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I loved the closing statement in one of the Washington papers on this (I forget which, sorry). It had a quote from the CDC that basically said, "That's all we know. We're not psychiatrists." Nice.

It's okay though...there are plenty of other real diseases and syndromes that were also once said to be "all in your head." Time proved those studies and physicians wrong. Not environmental? Highly doubtful. Disinformation or coverup. Probably.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Leitao got the word "Morgellons" from a 17th century text describing an illness in which black hairs were said to appear on the backs of children in France. The name stuck, even though there's no evidence the disease is linked to the modern condition.

I did not know it has been around so long, did a lot(most) people wear black back then? Another source called them bristles, not hairs.

you're not serious right?? did you even read what you just quoted?? they said that there is NO evidence that the disease is linked to the modern condition. That's what you just QUOTED.

new topics

top topics

join