It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Spends 2 Years In Solitary Confinement After DWI Arrest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

The Dona Ana County Jail would not comment, but officials said they do have plans to appeal the jury's decision.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetKarma
reply to post by type0civ

I would have to say perhaps you are correct, but victimless? If you are on a public road while intoxicated or distracted from the job at hand, ie:driving, you can very well make someone else your unwilling victim. No disrespect intended.

I do however understand where you are coming from in that perhaps I'm being a bit judgemental. You are right- I have no right what so ever for judging him. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

SK

Yeah but by the same measure we don't consider owning a weapon a crime for the most part. Even though there is the same potential for harm there. There are quite a few other examples where something is viewed as being a non-crime but for some reason a DUI/DWI is considered a travesty. It's in my opinion not a great thing to do, in fact you're a right P.O.S. if you do it. But it shouldn't carry the penalties that it does. It's a non-crime, basically a pre-crime imho.

And yes this is ridiculous that it could happen. Yet I feel like it isn't all that uncommon, certainly not to this extent but I do get the sense that this happens more often than is mentioned.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetKarma

But the system worked didn't it? He got a settlement.

The day this happens to a US citizen without justice, then we worry.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

2 years in solitary? you would be lucky to come out alive.

guy is very strong.

be very careful what you wish for.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Actually our prison system is based on punishment and the revolving door and not on rehabilitation. If everyone was rehabilitated while incarcerated, we wouldn't be the world leader in locking up our citizens, hundreds of thousands of law enforcement, corrections, judicial and social officers would be unemployed. One quarter of the worlds inmates are incarcerated in the United States even though we only represent 5% of the worlds population.

United States Incarceration Wikipedia

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetnlow
He wont get the money because they don't have the money, but i think to make it even he should have them throw everyone connected into solitary and the victim gets to run the jail for 2 years with a full salary

The best answer on this thread. lol

The money he'll never see, just because someone wins a lawsuit doesn't mean they can collect the money. Sad.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

But the system worked didn't it? He got a settlement.

The day this happens to a US citizen without justice, then we worry.

It should NOT have happened in the first place. That's a working system.
edit on 26-1-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
"land of the free"

lol, america

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It seems appararent that his 'jailors' did consider themselves to be his judge. They judged him to be an unfit and valueless member of society and treated him accordingly. A very scary precedent to make indeed. For the people who think they would gladly go through what he did for the cash settlement, I would think again. Two years in solitary would be mental hell. He is not the same man and never will be again. The money, if he gets it, won't make up for the hollowness he feels inside and the PTSD.

Those jailors should definately lose there jobs and be placed on charges for breaking the law themselves. I hope he is able to eventually heal.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Twenty two million for two years. That breaks down to...

$1,255.00 per hour

$20,00 per minute

$0.34 per second

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I could maybe see this happening in a large, overcrowded jail, but Dona Ana County (home of White Sands and Las Cruces) is a tiny little place with a small population. There is no excuse for denying this man representation, a fair and speedy trial, and access to basic human needs such as grooming, bathing, and medical / dental care.

How many other prisoners are still locked away with no trial and are denied access to legal help and basic necessities? I'll bet it happens more than what our government would like to admit.

Its a drunk driving charge, not first degree murder. You get processed and then released while waiting for trial.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Drunk driving is stupid, wreckless, and dangerous.

This guy got shut in for 2 years...and 22m dollars. I would say he earned every penny of it. Hell, I would sit in solitary for a couple years for 22m. I hope he spends the next 2 years just travelling. try to live enough to fill in a lifetime in the next 2 years with all sorts of fun experiences.

There needs to be an investigation into this though and it needs to result in someone, of not many someones being fired of course, and perhaps brought up on charges of their own

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by batgirl
For the people who think they would gladly go through what he did for the cash settlement, I would think again. Two years in solitary would be mental hell. He is not the same man and never will be again.

Naa, Some people are more apt to be hermits. Give a good pile of books and they are good.
My nephew has spent the last 6 years of his life in jail..and almost all of it in solitary (he tends to be short tempered and gets into fights like in 3 days of general population). He came out and is alright. I think it takes a toll only if you want it to..same as simply sitting in and going nowhere for a few months at home. Some people will not mind it at all, others will go stir crazy with cabin fever.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
going to be totally honest, if that was me, the day i got out, id head straight for weapons, find the addresses of all involved with my incarceration and one by one kidnap and torture each and every one of them as long as i could and right before im caught, theyd all be killed

sure that might be crazy, but after 2 years in solitary without a trial, one would be quite crazy and angry

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
DUI is nothing other than danger to self or others... He might not be criminal, but he's obviously not able to care for his own well being or can be entrusted to participate in a society surrounded by other people without putting them in danger. Perpetual detainment sounds quite alright to me. But basic medical care, food, etc. should be provided. So in this case, take his 22 million, keep him locked-up, & give the 22 million back to the State to pay for his indefinite incarceration.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I saw this on the news last night. Although I feel bad for the guy and he has every right to sue them, I bet he thinks twice about driving drunk again. $22 million dollars will buy a lot of beer.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

If it happened once it could have happened before. This is a conspiracy to deny someone their rights, and it took multiple people to make it possible. I'm surprised though this happened in the United States.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

there are real cops that think they know, and then there are cops that don't see why its time to quit yet.

edit on 1/26/2012 by deadruby2006 because: mens ray = nun yuh

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I'd give up my life for 2 years for 22 million any day.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ah yes, New Mexico. I live in New Mexico and I can tell you that this state is as corrupt as they come, top to bottom, with the exception of our new Republican Governor Susanna Martinez, and possibly a very few other politicians, I'm sure.

News stories of yet another school official, PRC member, cop or other public official being on the take or on drugs or abusing their position is almost a daily occurrence here. This place make Louisiana look like a fine example of how leadership should operate. The Democrats in power in Santa Fe are as corrupt as they come as well. They are in the process of killing a bill that would repeal the law that makes it very easy for illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses here. Why would they do that? Is it the right thing to do to keep illegal immigration illegal? Oh, but wait, with a driver's license, illegals can VOTE in New Mexico elections, including presidential elections. With out the illegal immigrant vote, democrats might not be in power here for long. NO WONDER they want to keep things the way they are. CORRUPT! By the way, former Governor Bill Richardson is probably going to be indicted one of these days for some of the illegal activity he was involved in as Governor. Unless of course he can pay off the prosecutors first.

Let's not even mention the fact that Albuquerque has just as many gang members as Dallas, despite being 1/4 the size. Or, for you math-impaired, FOUR TIMES AS MANY GANG MEMBERS as Dallas, per capita. No wonder Breaking Bad is set in Albuquerque. It's a reality show, more or less. I always carry my .45 when I go into Albuquerque, even the "nice" areas of town. I've been mad-dogged by gangbangers many times, and I am tired of it, frankly.

So that's my New Mexico rant. This place is a craphole, getting more ghetto by the day. I am looking forward to the day I put this place in my rearview.

So a guy getting tossed in solitary for 2 years and forgotten? Not that unbelievable for New Mexico. Glad he's getting the money - he deserves every dime.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join