It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you part of the Rabblement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The Rabblement loves the old and the familiar. People of the Rabblement go to the same holiday spots each year (if they leave town at all), cling to the same old stale jobs, watch the same old reruns of Friends, use the same tired approach in every relationship. They criticize and belittle anyone who steps too far out of the box, most often because such behaviour shines an unflattering light upon their own mundane, routine-filled lives.
What the people of the Rabblement refuse to accept is that change is inevitable. It happens whether we like it or not. Resistance to change is like a beach mouse resisting a tidal wave. Tough one buddy, that thing’s coming for you no matter how hard you fight it. Since change is inevitable, the only intelligent response is to embrace it. You don’t know what’s coming for you, but you can choose to roll with it no matter what. See challenges as opportunities, adversity as growth, failure as educational.

If you’re a bit of a control freak and find yourself terrified by uncertainty, you need to let go. Know that you can handle anything that comes your way. After all, you’ve handled everything that’s come your way so far in life. I mean, you’re still alive, right? Fearing uncertainty is also a waste of time and energy. When you worry about the future, you’re projecting forward to a moment that hasn’t happened yet, which is utterly pointless. The only moment you have control over is the current one, so that’s where your attention needs to be. If you’re worried about an upcoming exam, the best thing you can do is start studying right now. If you’re too busy thinking about that first date tonight, you might forget how to use stairs and bust your chin open, which can be very unattractive.
Instead of clinging to a desired outcome and worrying about everything going to plan, just set your intention, lay the foundation and then let the chips to plan, just set your intention, lay the foundation and then let the chips fall
where they may. Be flexible and make the most of whatever situation you find yourself in. Abandon the black-or white mindset and embrace the infinite shades of grey.

Think about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
While I understand where you are comming from and agree overall with your thoughts, I don't think the "rabblement" as you call it, is so static and stereotypical. I think even amongst the rabble you will find growth and change. They may be uncertain or resistant to a large degree, but little changes are occurring, and they are occurring constantly.

I too, get frustrated when I feel like the wheel of progress is not turning fast enough, and sometimes I wonder if we as humans are ever really growing, but then little things happen and I do see the change, it is not as fast as I would like, but it is occurring.

I just had a conversation with a friend of mine, we were discussing race and how for younger people, even here in the land of Dixie, race is not as important as it was 20 years ago. Most of the racism is the older folks and the young ones do have racial hang ups but not half as bad as the 60+ group. That gives me a bit of hope.

I also see change in how people view the environment. People seem more aware of the environment and they are not as resistant to recycling for example. 20 years ago, people had no concept of recycling, but now even my 60+ neighbors put their little green bins out recycling day, that shows me even older people like the idea of cutting down on landfill waste. That gives me hope as well.

Also, in today's economic downturn, migration is surging. People that live in those tiny towns are picking up and moving to wherever the work is. They are no longer staying in one town their whole lives. They are moving and being exposed to new areas, often with different cultural groups. We have a huge influx of immigrants, both legal and illegal. 20 years ago people where I come from never saw Indians from India, or Chinese or Mexicans. Now, little redneck kids are sitting in school with little Russian and el salvadorian kids and there is still that "fear" of the "other" but slowly, with more and more exposure kids are growing up more open minded, tolerant and accepting. It is so slow, but I have hope.....mostly because hope IS all I have left.

And I think there is nothing wrong with holding on to some traditions. Traditions foster a sense of community, keep the traditions that are beneficial to the community, let go of the ones that hold the community back. We can learn a lot from each other, we just have to be open to learning new things. The people that are not willing to change are the people left behind, because like you said.....change is happening and it is up to us to change for the better.

join