It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is my keyboard not working properly on the internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A few days ago my Wireless keyboard slowed down when I'm typing on the internet be it Facebook, this site or just Google. It doesn't do this in word or any other programmes. It hasn’t just slowed down though, it’s missing letters as I type, or sometimes I’ll hold down CTRL to open a link in a new window and it won’t realise I’ve pressed CTRL.

Thinking this maybe an issue with the driver I reinstalled it but with no success.

I then changed keyboards to a wired one and yet the problem still continues.

To give you an idea how bad it is I’m typing this in Word before pasting to ATS as it would take roughly 5 to 10 minutes to do this otherwise.

This is what happens wenI typ olie, s ou can see it's a mess! (This is what happens when I type online, as you can see it's a mess!)

Anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

blatantly obvious but.... have you tried a virus scan? Some half assed keyloggers can produce the exact symptoms you are describing, they steal the information from the keyboard buffer and log it, then pass it back to the OS like nothing happened, but if something goes wrong, not all the keypresses get passed to the OS.

Does this ONLY happen when you are connected to the internet? I'd start checking for malware.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
What has changed since this has started happening? Did you install a new program? Check your num lock and scroll lock. Usually your keyboard driver isn't going to just fail.

Sometimes I find when troubleshooting keyboard issues that the problem is an antivirus or keylogger blocker. What's installed?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
You need to scan not only for viruses/malware but moreso for rootkits at boot time before the windows Shell loads.

If you have a USB keyboard plug it in and watch the problem go away.

Peace
edit on 24-1-2012 by nh_ee because: Live Free or Die

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm running a virus scan as we speak using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Worth noting that I'm currently using a USB keyboard.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree with phishyblankwaters sounds very much like a key logger / trojan.

Ty using a few free online scanners to see if you can identify an infection. Most of the major anti-vrus software manufactures provide these. They dont usually get rid of the problem but they can be very useful in spotting any nasty infections you might have. But make sure you only use ones from recognized anti-vrus software manufactures you dont want to end up it a "XP Home security" infection as well.

Have you noticed any other strange behavior while you are connected to the net?

Have a look at the network section in Task manger and see if there is a high level of network utilization.

edit on 24-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJKris
I'm running a virus scan as we speak using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Worth noting that I'm currently using a USB keyboard.

I repair computers, and have seen things go right through Microsoft Security Essentials, like it wasn't even there. Try Aivira Anti-Vir and Commodo Firewall, then un-install Geek Buddy that come with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

I vote for installing SpyBot, and AVG.

Then again, I only have about 19 years professional experience in IT.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
......Try Aivira Anti-Vir and Commodo Firewall, then un-install Geek Buddy that come with it.

Thanks for the info!

I will check these out.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I've tried SpyBot on another machine, always seemed ok. I'm just about to run Malwarebytes, I used to find that was good. Windows Security Essentials found several trojans and worms mostly of high or severe risk
No improvement on the keyboard yet though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

Some free anti-virus programs are better at dealing with certain infections. Also sometime people provide standalone programs and will target specific infects. So its probably a good idea to make a note of any infections that get found by any of the scanners that cant be removed and do a search on their names in google.

I do recommend using an online scanner , something like norton for identifying infections because it gives you access to the latest up to date scanning engines that you would normally have to pay for. Plus you dont have to go to all the trouble installing and uninstalling software for each scan.

Hers a list of free online scanners. Theres also many more out there if you search on google.

Identifying which infections you have is half the battle. When you know what you have you can do a search for the best free removal software to suit the specific infection. Also you will be able to see how other people have dealt with the infection as you will see them being discussed in forums etc..

With any luck the scan your doing with malwarebytes will get rid of your troubles as its pretty good.

edit on 24-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Malwarebytes found 3 lots of Adware and the keyboard situation seems to have improved considerably, infact I've managed to type this on here in real time and with no missing letters! Other than my own typos anyway!

All the same it seemed a little slow on Facebook so I think I'll run one of the free scans mentioned in this thread while I'm at work just to see if anything else comes up

new topics

top topics

join