It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Doodle Goes Black to Protest SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Google Doodle Goes Black to Protest SOPA

www.nbcbayarea.com

Google didn't go black at midnight to protest SOPA but its doodle did.

The Mountain View-based search company decided not to join Wikipedia in going black at midnight on Wednesday but Google said it would unveil its own protest instead. The company's that have gone black have received some blow back.

Google is part of a coalition of tech companies that includes Twitter, Yahoo, Facebook, Craigslist, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Zynga, Wikipedia and more, who oppose SOPA.

The controversial Congressional measure, which would give the US Justice Department the ability to track and go after Inte
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chipchick.com
technology.gather.com
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is interesting because this is the first time I've ever seen a google doodle make a political statement. Usaually google only celebrates holidays, birthdays of famous people etc...

I am very sorry if this has already been posted by I couldn't find it anywhere.

Hope you all enjoy!

tst

www.nbcbayarea.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I noticed that Wikipedia decided to do the same, at least for the next 24 hours anyway.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

Google fought Chinese censorship a while back. I expect (hope may be a better word) to see more of their political views surrounding SOPA. link

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

thats because it would basicly put google out of business for billions if not trillions of copyright infringments for providing links to coprighted material

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
While I support the online protests by some very high profile websites I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the likes of Yahoo and AOL. I dropped by both of those websites just to see what they had to say about it and while AOL eventually, after some digging, does actually mention it (via a link to a HuffPost article which states the websites administrators signed a letter in protest along with Google et al that was published in the NY Times) their front page does not mention it al all. Yahoo, the same.... no mention of it whatsoever.

I have to wonder then if they are really as dedicated to this 'cause' as they would like us to believe. If you are moved enough to state you are in protest of something...then by gosh protest it and do not just give it some weak, mamby pamby lip service. I would have much more respect for someone or a company if they state they are in protest of something and stand behind it even if I did not agree with their stance than I do for someone or a company that jumps in half heartedly and then seems to hide behind a tree to see where the chips will fall. It rather makes me wonder if they jumped on the PIPA/SOPA bandwagon to be seen rather than heard.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Is there a special USA version of wikipedia? I can search and view the site in Australia. I heard all english versions would go down.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

join