It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So the SOPA protests are almost here. Will this make a difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
As most of us are probably and hopefully aware, a day of online action is forthcoming and protest against the proposed SOPA (and PIPA) acts which threaten to essentially ruin the internet by imposition of draconian control over file-sharing (music, images, quotes, text, ideas) and user-traded data under the guise of copyright acts and - These protests will be held by a good number of high profile sites and online such as Reddit, Wikipedia, (some parts of) twitter, Google,(will be hosting a link and a comment opposing SOPA), Mozilla, Wordpress and many other smaller league sites.

Related Links:

www.webpronews.com...

www.ibtimes.com...

www.thinkbroadband.com...

An explanatory video about the effects of such acts.

--

So, my point is - Many of these high profile sites have literally thousands and millions of users on a daily basis - and although many of us are wise enough to have read about SOPA / PIPA - their will obviously be many, many users who will experience firsthand (and for the first time) the implications of such laws and how they could affect future internet use. Will this 'blackout' and the very real notion of a large online protest, will it change anything?

Either way, it will be an insightful day at the very least to see the mixed reactions of both protesters and supporters, and maybe this protest will change a few minds along the way?

What about you guys, what do you think?

[Edit: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I wonder why ATS is not joining all the other websites around the world in the Blackout.
Regardless I will be blacking out all my websites and my customer websites for 24hrs.

I hope to see ATS Blacked out tomorrow!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
thanks for posting the video..I wish facebook and twitter would protest, that would at lease inform the masses of what is going on.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
thanks for posting the video..I wish facebook and twitter would protest, that would at lease inform the masses of what is going on.

There's been a bit of a debate, I think the twitter owner (or someone working for twitter at least) said something like 'On a day of protest, what would be the point of shutting down a communication service' - of which personally I'm not sure how to take it.

Taking google (and other search engines) down would definitely ring home a point though, as it's a massively used tool.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So today is the day - the start of many 24 hour protests. Let's see how this goes.

Has anyone got a link to the sites that have blacked out?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I cannot see it making any difference at all anymore. They seem to be ready to plow along and do as they will without restraint. The kid gloves are coming off. I have little doubt the thing will pass overwhelmingly, just like the expatriation act. Oh yeah. Hard times almost here.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Here's a thread that has screen caps of the sites that are protesting: Confirmed Sites going offline in support of STOP SOPA

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i thought this bill was rejected...

why protest a rejected bill because you want it rejected???

or am i missing something???

join