It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

President Barack Obama won't be getting an entirely warm welcome during his visit to his home city of Chicago Wednesday; members of the Occupy Wall Street movement have announced plans to picket a fundraising event and concert at the University of Illinois at Chicago where Obama is expected to speak.

Occupy UIC, in conjunction with Occupy Chicago, is organizing a demonstration during the concert to protest the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act, which Obama signed into law on New Year's Eve. The law includes a number of controversial provisions that allow for long-term imprisonment of suspected terrorists -- including American citizens -- without criminal charges or court hearings, at the President's discretion.

huffingtonpost.com

I voted for Obama in '08 and up until about the summer/fall of '11, I believed he still had good intentions...maybe he still does, I just don't feel that way anymore. I feel betrayed. I have no idea who I will vote for if I even decide to this year but it won't be for Obama. He lost my vote and obviously a lot of Occupiers/Supporters votes too. He should not have signed the NDAA. He should have addressed the nation and made it clear what this Bill meant so that all Americans could be aware so that we could have made our voices heard in numbers that we would not accept the indefinite detention parts of the NDAA.

He also promised to close Guantanamo Bay, and he did try...but he did not have sign off on the piece that would allow Americans to be held there too, not that it should hold anyone from anywhere.

He better lose the cronysm and get back to why he was voted in or he just might find himself losing a lot more of the left. Only a dramatic change in his policies and behavior could change my mind and win back my vote.

We are no longer satisfied with the lesser of two evils. If Obama can even be considered that anymore.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Woah, I actually agree with you on this but it seems to me like a political /publicity stunt.

Lubricating the wheels for martial law.

I wonder if he will still show support for the occupy movement after they heckle him.

edit on 11-1-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
honestly how can you not agree. yet another Pres. has gone back on his promises this time it involves more than taxes or tax law, this has to do with human rights and the peace of our country.

the way laws are being passed for our protection I fear there wont be another election. for our protection of course we will give obama full power over the DHS and give them full jurisdiction in the U.S. - on second thought they already have that.?
edit on 1/11/2012 by -W1LL because: spp

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Honestly I don't think DHS would stand a chance against a standing army. They're big and powerful, but not that big...yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I hope not. I agree they are not very strong yet, the power they have over people and travel has been given so easily I fear what they will take.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

They are getting bigger though and I think that NDAA expands their power. Militarily they are not as effective though, they would need a military co-sponsor.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
via Twitter... The protesters are blasting Charlie Chaplains Great Dictator speech outside the building Obama's in.
I wish I was there.

edit on 11-1-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Forgive my ignorance but it seems like Occupy is fracturing into different fringe groups.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

It's always been many many groups.

ETA I should amend that, more and more people are forming their own groups all the time but in general we all stand in solidarity together.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This whole thing smells like a set up.

Mondays Top Secret Homeland Security Meeting

$ 700,000 for Chicago area First Responders

WASHINGTON, DC--(ENEWSPF)--January 9, 2012. U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), has made a $693,876 investment in seven fire departments in Illinois. Today’s funding will help support and improve the capability of each department and protection district to respond to fires and other types of emergencies.

Maybe nothing unusual but there has lately been a lot of activity in the Chicago area related to DHS.
www.mcdonoughvoice.com...

A federal program designed to protect residents of the nation’s second most populous county against terrorist threats was mismanaged from the start, fraught with malfunctioning equipment and potentially wasted millions of taxpayer dollars, according to a Monday report by the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

It was called “Project Shield” and cost about $45 million in federal funding. The idea was to equip police cars and other locations in Cook County with cameras capable of sending live video to a command center, giving first responders more information in an emergency.

But Monday’s report said the program was troubled from the beginning. Equipment was never adequately tested, funds were mismanaged and of the 128 municipalities, 32 never received equipment. The report blasted Cook County officials, state leaders and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which administered the funds.

edit on 11-1-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Occupy Obama? Sounds kinky, but I think he only lets his wife do that and or government sanctioned mistress.

OT: Well It will be interesting I'll be keeping my eye on this to see what comes of it, hopeful something more than some crazy guy throwing a shoe at him and being pulled away by secrete service. Because if that happen it would be declared an assassination attempt.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

lol 1st American indefinitely detained for throwing shoe. Nah, Occupy is non-violent.

join