It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a weird Paradox

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I just love time travel speculation. It opens up a pandora's box of things we could have done differently. Ultimately, I agree that the only solution to any "time-line" oriented paradox is that time travel is not possible. An event happens and it is gone. I don't believe that it is recorded in some way to be accessed at a later date(or at an earlier time for that matter). Because of light we do get to witness events that have happened at an earlier time, after the fact. I've read some of the John Lear related threads and I think there was some discussion on this subject and of course John Titor and that whole thing. Who knows? Our science in these areas is all theoretical at this point. What if some of the fundementals of quantum theory are bogus and some of the universal laws of physics are too. Stephen Hawking has been backtracking on some of his anti-matter /blackhole theories because we know more info now.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctorduh
I just love time travel speculation. It opens up a pandora's box of things we could have done differently. Ultimately, I agree that the only solution to any "time-line" oriented paradox is that time travel is not possible. An event happens and it is gone. I don't believe that it is recorded in some way to be accessed at a later date(or at an earlier time for that matter). Because of light we do get to witness events that have happened at an earlier time, after the fact. I've read some of the John Lear related threads and I think there was some discussion on this subject and of course John Titor and that whole thing. Who knows? Our science in these areas is all theoretical at this point. What if some of the fundementals of quantum theory are bogus and some of the universal laws of physics are too. Stephen Hawking has been backtracking on some of his anti-matter /blackhole theories because we know more info now.

doctorduh

Wow! I can't believe what a thread killer I am. This is 3rd thread I've checked where I had the last post. Do I smell bad? Was the Huey Lewis reference too tired or dated? I don't know. At this point I'm just typing what I'm sure no one will see.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Wasn't that the premise for an Episode of Futurama? Where the character Fry, turns out to be his own Grandfather of something..

Never knew that. But have you, i thought of this before that show

Deep

That episode was great. lol

Professor: "Start the ship, Leela! Let's just steal the damn radar dish, and get back to our own time."
Fry: "But, but, won't that change history?"
Professor: "Oooh� A lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-my-own-grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already. Screw history!"

www.gotfuturama.com...

[edit on 2-10-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I suppose it depends if when you travelled in time you returned to your timeline or were actually sent to another dimension seperate to ours, another timeline. Einstein�s theories can be used to actually prove that time travel is possible. Government research experiments have apparently shown that fast moving aircraft have traveled into the future.

Anyone remember the TV show 'sliders' ? If it were similar to that, using wormholes to travel in time and to paralell universes, them killing your mother wouldn't matter becuase it isn't your timeline.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bongobob

(just a hypothetical)

Just a hypothetical?

Ahh thank # for that! And I thought you were really going to travel back in time to kill your poor mam

Is this the first time you have come4 across this scenario by the way?

Just to say, by the way that it's Huey Lewis and the News, not "the blues"

NOt that i in any way like that odious band!

[edit on 2-10-2004 by triplesod]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I have a book to suggest for you guys to read. "In Search of Schrodingers Cat". It is a very interesting book, and once you pick it up, it is compulsive to read. It makes you think, but it is well written and supported. Goes over Quanum Theory and Mechanics. Talks some about paradoxes, and etc.

Originally posted by Bongobob
i was thinking about this one day..

If you had the ability to go back in time and like.. kill your mother.. What would happen?

Because if you kill her, your not born. and if your not born, you cant shoot her...

Any suggestions?

(just a hypothetical)

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
i had the very same thought i still do not knwo the answer could any one help me ?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
She would be dead and alive at the same time, just as you would exist and wouldnt exist at the same time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join