It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto’s GMO Corn Approved Despite 45,000 Public Comments in Opposition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
These corporartions are going to get their way whether you like it or not. They use their lobyists like surgical tools to pass legislation and deregulate in the WRONG areas. Of course all they need to do is manipulate the USDA... oh wait it's run by this guy...

It should also be noted that Bill Gates bought 500,000 shares in Monsanto.

As previously reported, while people were de-stressing and enjoying their much needed time off during the holidays, the United States Department of Agriculture announced its approval of Monsanto’s ‘drought tolerant’ genetically engineered corn. The decision to give the green light to Monsanto regarding their GE corn didn’t seem too difficult for the Obama Administration, despite receiving nearly 45,000 public comments voicing opposition and only 23 comments in favor since comments opened. Prepare to see this new GE corn unleashed into the environment as well as the American food supply.

The news comes after experiments with the seeds were conducted in five African nations, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Monsanto’s drought-resistant corn seeds were given to African farmers facing drought conditions, replacing traditional and sustainable farming with Monsanto’s GMO crops. Bill Gates himself has purchased 500,000 Monsanto stocks as of August 2010, and has heavy ties with Monsanto and even genetically modified mosquitoes which could be released in Florida early next year.

“President Obama and Secretary of Agriculture Vilsack just sent a clear message to the American public that they do not care about our concerns with genetically engineered food and their questionable safety, adverse environmental impacts, and detrimental effects on farmers, especially organic farmers,” says Mark A. Kastel, Senior Farm Policy Analyst with The Cornucopia Institute.

naturalsociety.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

And this is a surprise, why?

The game is fixed.

Monsanto holds all the cards. And what individuals and concerned environmental groups think is, well, about as important as the whine of one of those pesky GM mosquitoes.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The Whitehouse needed 50,000 people to oppose this before they even looked into it. And when 50,000 do oppose it they'll raise the numbers again to meet their new criteria

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Then when the truth about GMO contamination and the health hazards Monsanto hid they will declare bankruptcy and the executives will never see the inside of a jail cell just like asbestos. Great Britian out lawed asbestoes 40 years before America and I have never heard of any person going to jail over the asbestoes lies. I bet this is just like the lies from tobacco companies to the American public

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well, I guess we will all be enjoying our franken corn pretty soon. MMmmmMMMmmm.....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Well, I guess we will all be enjoying our franken corn pretty soon. MMmmmMMMmmm.....

I wasn't trying to diminish the importance of your news. I guess I'm so jaded, I don't get surprised any more.

And we haven't eaten corn or any corn derived products for a couple of years. At least, not willingly. They can't genetically modify every food crop. And organic still offers a chance to avoid it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

I wasn't trying to diminish the importance of your news. I guess I'm so jaded, I don't get surprised any more.

And we haven't eaten corn or any corn derived products for a couple of years. At least, not willingly. They can't genetically modify every food crop. And organic still offers a chance to avoid it.

Yes, you are desensitized, as am I to some degree...

It's sad that we aren't suprised when things like this happen anymore, because it happens all of the time...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Last articles I read, close to 80% of all corn in North America and corn oil was ALREADY GMO. But just because it becomes a psuedo bill/legislation DOES NOT MAKE IT LAW. And hence people need to strike them down. Yeah its going to take more than 50 000 IMO. But surely there would be millions, too bad people don't unite for some reason, something beyond my comprehension.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Last articles I read, close to 80% of all corn in North America and corn oil was ALREADY GMO. But just because it becomes a psuedo bill/legislation DOES NOT MAKE IT LAW. And hence people need to strike them down. Yeah its going to take more than 50 000 IMO. But surely there would be millions, too bad people don't unite for some reason, something beyond my comprehension.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

If people knew, REALLY knew what was going on, they would take issue with it. However most are blissfully unaware, and probably don't even know what GMO stands for. They probably think it's a new football team.

I literally feel like I'm repeating myself all of the time. The sheeple are blind, blah blah blah v1rtu0s0, blah blah, but what else are you going to say? You can't say it enough, until people wake the # up.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
YEAAHHH!!! Go democracy.../sarcasm

Seriously? Anybody surprised by this? You think they ever cared what you thought? lol come on i think most people on here are too old to believe in fairy tales no? LOL pick up a weapon and fight for your right to live free or roll up in a corner and die.........

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
In my opinion, this is a case where if they will not even listen to us....

Then burn it, burn it all. Wait till the crops start budding and just burn the entire damn fields.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Funny, just before I read this, I had just ordered all my Cert Organic seed for this year. I know all my farmer neighbors use GMO corn, and it can contaminate my crops, but I will continue to buy Organic every year. I will also continue to send emails to all my Gov. Reps. I don't care if they stop answering me!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Sue those farmers for messing up your crops for cross pollinating your plants and rendering your seeds useless.
I am sure this could go both ways.

If we cannot make Monsato quit putting this stuff out there, then make it a complete hassle for those that choose to use this garbage. Start removing incentives for others to use it. Play their own damn game against them.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

When you have a company with as much financial muscle as Monsanto (or Microsoft for that matter), the legal avenue could be a long, expensive and fruitless one, no pun intended. They can make things last years that way.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
... and the lobbyists score another point.

When will someone make it illegal for lobbyists to influence the government?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It is ILLEGAL to label GMOs. This is the weak spot. People don't know, because it is being kept from them.

If somehow labeling of GM foods could be instituted, it wouldn't take too long before people asked what it was; what it meant; and why they ought to care. Plus, it would allow people to choose to not buy the crap if they didn't want it. Don't people have the right to know? Don't they have the right to information so they can make a choice?

This is a big fear of Monsanto. So, of course, watch how impossible it ill be to get it to happen.
edit on 11-1-2012 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

join