It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Fat America !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tigermountain

Yes, it is true that if people don't over-eat in the first place, they won't get fat. But unfortunately in American society, unhealthy foods in huge portions are the norm. It's just the way it is. Those with genetic traits which increase their overall accumulation of body fat, however, (as well as those of us without said genetic traits) are very likely to be fed fast food at an early age by busy parents who need a quick "meal" for their children (who probably also beg for it due to the multimillion dollar ad campaign by fast food industries to sell fast food to children). I see it every single day. This is more than likely (in my opinion) where the problem begins.

Those with these "fat genes" accumulate excess fat from their poor diets as children, fat that will be much harder to lose when they reach an age when they have the sense to learn to control what they eat, and realize the importance of a balanced diet and regular exercise. They may be on a strictly vegan diet and exercising regularly, but the weight can (as I've witnessed, as stated in my previous reply) still pile on.

Why does the United States have such a higher rate of obesity compared to other nations? I believe it due (at least in part) to a mixture of unhealthy childhood diets caused by huge amounts of fast food advertizements aimed at children, which then beg their busy parents for the "food", who then buy it looking for a cheap and fast way to feed their children, and the presence of the "fat genes" in many of these individuals. Those who are obese and do not have these "fat genes" are most likely just lazy and careless, and (much more unlikely) uninformed about the adverse effects (affects? I never knew the difference
) of their sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy diet.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Drewshbag because: Parentheses interefered with my smiley

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by swimmer15

Yeah must admit according to my BMI it says I'am obese but I'am no where near, it doesn't take into account how broad you are, bone structure etc.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

edit on 5-1-2012 by Drewshbag because: Accidentally presed reply rather than edit, sorry I'm a noob

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drewshbag

edit on 5-1-2012 by Drewshbag because: Accidentally presed reply rather than edit, sorry I'm a noob

Riiiiiggghtt....a noob who registered on ATS to post in 1 thread about fat people? Not exactly what I'd expect from a "normal" (and by normal I mean - not a duplicate account) ATS user. But, we'll let the mods/admins workout the IP address.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Why is it so hard to believe that I'm simply a newly registered user? I've been visiting ATS for only about 3 weeks or so. If you must know why I only just created an account, it is because I never felt the need to reply to a thread until now. Being labeled fat and stupid due of the country I reside just gets on my nerves a bit, as does any form of prejudice.

I invite the moderators to please look into my IP address, and confirm for themselves that this is not a duplicate account.

Anyways, this is off-topic.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Most of the people I encounter in my day to day life are overweight. I'm not. I go to McDonalds maybe once every three months or so. I eat a lot of protein and vegetables, but not too many carbohydrates. The carbs people eat these days, crazy. Everybody in this country is fat. It's the only country in the world where the poor people are fat.
It's sad really, how do you get people to stop eating so much?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The first video starts with someone saying a fast food cheeseburger is cheaper than an apple. How do they figure that!? An entire bag of organic apples can be had for around 4 dollars. Fast food isn't cheaper than other foods, that's just an excuse. Fast Food Nation I believe it was had a family that had fast food every morning because "it's so cheap". Cereal anyone?

edit on 5-1-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
All this talk about McVomit and KillerF###ingChicken being "cheaper" is a joke. That garbage is way more expensive than cooking your own food. I figured this out about twenty years ago, before the fatty explosion even began.

I'm in Mexico, so maybe the numbers are alittle different, but I doubt it. Here, to get a Big Mac, fries and a big cup of poison, is gonna run about 120 pesos, around ten bucks. For that I could go to the supermarket and buy two big fat rib eyes, a couple of potatoes and veggies for a salad. Two of us can eat like kings for what one person would pay to eat garbage at Puke King. I know for sure because I keep careful track of this kind of stuff.

Of course, then you have to cook it yourself, and do the dishes. Oh NOES.

Oh, and that BMI is designed for sedentary weaklings with marshmallow bodies. I weigh 225 and I'm 6'5", and according to their charts I am overweight, borderline obese. Of course, I exercise a lot, and I'm lean and mean. You would call me a beanpole if you saw me with clothes on, until I got up close to you.

It's the lack of exercise combined with the overdose of HFCS and other poison that passes for food these days. No one knows how to cook anymore, either. It ain't rocket science, but I've met plenty of American bimbos who actually PRIDE themselves on not knowing how to cook. As if they were raised in a palace full of servants or something.

I also credit my mom in a big way. When I was a kid, I would get a brown bag lunch for school every day. I would always have a sandwich, and an apple and a carrot or something similar. The other kids always had ring dings and yodels and twinkies and cookies. You know how kids will trade their food; no one ever wanted to trade me a ring ding for a freaking carrot. I was mad about it at the time, but I had no choice in the matter, thank god. I would eat the carrots and celery and whatever, while the other kids stuffed their pieholes full of sugar.

Whatever you grow up eating, will be the things you like to eat as an adult. I can't stand sweet stuff at all, I never eat cake or pie or cookies. I know a guy from Dominican Republic, he thinks fried plantains are the best thing in the world. Obviously that's what they got as a treat when they were kids. My girlfriend is Mexican, she thinks a taco is the peak of cuisine. Oh, and what you guys think is a taco, like taco hell? That's not remotely like real Mexican food.

My mom was, and is, a great cook, and we had nothing but home cooked food my whole childhood. We almost never went out to eat, and if we did it was to a real restaurant, not McVomit. And now? I never drink soda, I almost never eat any kind of fast food, and I try not to eat anything that comes premade and prepackaged. Chips, hot pockets, frozen pizza, microwave popcorn, all of it. That's where all the poison is.

I don't want to make a whole diatribe out of it, but it's the Paleo diet for the win. Plus lots of exercise. It's simple, really.

thepaleodiet.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I seem to remember a slogan from not too long ago "Keep your laws off my body." It worked for the pro-choice movement.

Further, eating is a pleasure that many enjoy for various reasons. (I don't think I'm overweight, but what does that mean?) In the society we have now, I'd be reluctant to take even one little pleasure away from anyone.

As has been pointed out, Americans know that excess weight may be unhealthy. Aren't we supposed to be able to make our own decisions, or have we reached the point that even that decision will be made for us?

We will have government make all our decisions for us when the idea is accepted that anything that hurts our health can be banned for the good of society. We are close already. Society doesn't yet own my body, that's slavery talking. I'll continue with my nightly brandy and occasional cigar, thank you.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

People will eat what they want to eat because they have the right to. Some people just are not educated about what foods are healthy and which are not. Some people figure if they get sick their insurance and doctor will take care of it- and the medicines the doctors prescribe will
Help them. Others just prefer to enjoy eating what they like - and if they die early- oh well- they enjoyed the foods that they liked.

If people choose to be thin or fat, it's none of my business unless they specifically ask for my opinion or my help.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigermountain
reply to post by freakjive

I own a martial arts school

Well then wake up to the business side of things and open a school in the US. Then you wouldn't just be bitching about the problem, but actually doing something about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Link to religion ?
Look at your map and look at this map...

Mostly in the "baptist belt"...

edit on 5-1-2012 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Americans are starving to death, from nutrients. Their bodies are telling them to eat more, because they are malnourished; so they fill their bodies will trash food and maintain this state of malnourishment.

You can blame our government, their education system and FDA has failed us, too many idiots among us.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigermountain

1: According to the National Institute of Health, $75-$125 billion is spent on indirect and direct costs due to obesity- related diseases.

I don't think anybody would be surprised by that number, I expected more. Lol and the remaining billions are spent on illegal wars in order to gain more profit.

Its a disgusting governmental system.

The power must go!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tigermountain

First of all, those figures for obesity are grossly overstated. Obesity is measured by BMI, Body Mass Index, which doesn't take designate between lean mass and fat mass. It's simply a height/weight ratio.

Secondly, as some other posters have pointed out, this isn't a problem isolated in America; we've simply been consuming such degrading diets at a greater frequency for a much longer period of time. Remember, every other industrialized nation is catching up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join