It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Americans are too fat and lazy to revolt": I hear this a lot, but is it true?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's usually framed like: "As long as they can sit in front of the TV and drink beer they will never revolt." Well, maybe, but this assumes one of the following:

A) Either the Economy will remain strong enough to allow hundreds of millions to keep enjoying beer and TV forever, or

B) When the beer runs put and the electricity turns off, Americans will sit quietly and starve to death in front of their dead TVs.

Neither of these seems particularly realistic to me, so I think some firm of violent insurrection is in the future of millions of Americans...even the form this revolt takes is pitching a chair through the window of the nearest grocery store and grabbing some food after a few days without it.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The only time Americans would have a revolution is when the government becomes so blatant in its intentions that the average american can no longer make rationalizations, excuses, or remain in denial or ignorance.

It is true.
edit on 12/31/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yes and No

Short answer Yes
Long answer No

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
this is very true. other nations see what is happening here and talk about it much more than our own citizens do. all most americans care about is their own family unit nothing more. people are too busy trying to find out what their favorite celebrity is doing, or who is on dancing with the stars. seems no one cares about real issues and it is sad. the worst part is the television is what is causing these everyday citizens to view 'patriotic' people as a threat

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
The only time Americans would have a revolution is when the government becomes so blatant in its intentions that the average american can no longer make rationalizations, excuses, or remain in denial or ignorance.

It is true.

So you think the government will be able to provide cheetos and beer forever?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

It's not (just) that "we" are fat and lazy, but that "we" are ignorant and complacent.

The internet, and the campaign of Dr. Paul is changing much of the former, and rest assured the latter is about to be disrupted quite a bit if he doesn't become president, as the economy, and therefore our comfort will collapse.

Under the first scenario of Dr. Paul becoming POTUS, we will see a peaceful revolution. Under the scenario of any other war-mongering, spend-happy puppet of TPTB, my countrymen will be forced into violent revolution when they have no other choice.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
this is very true. other nations see what is happening here and talk about it much more than our own citizens do. all most americans care about is their own family unit nothing more. people are too busy trying to find out what their favorite celebrity is doing, or who is on dancing with the stars. seems no one cares about real issues and it is sad. the worst part is the television is what is causing these everyday citizens to view 'patriotic' people as a threat

Almost 50% of Americans aged 16-30 are out of work.

For there NOT to be a revolution, you have to believe that somehow these people can go on eating and drinking forever, or that somehow the economy will improve.

I don't see either of these as realistic.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
All I have to say is when you have proof that the majority of Americans are fat and lazy tell the folks at the Chicago and New York Marathons, and Wisconsin Iron Man, because I have had a hard time getting a slot due to how fast they fill up. Also let these people know:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.inc.com...

I do think there will be a revolt, people are starting to take notice that our so called leaders are misusing resources, personally profiting, abusing power and essentially selling our country down the river.
edit on 31-12-2011 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
My point ultimately is that if people are "in denial" and can cocoon themselves from reality, it is because they can AFFORD the denial. Eventually they will not be able to afford this.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
we've definitely become, as The Dead Kennedys put is.. a "Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death" society and lacking initiative but the second someone sincerely ligament rears their head to lead, we will most definitely kick away out tv dinner, remote control and tare off out snuggies and revolt with a furious vengeance.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by swimmer15
All I have to say is when you have proof that the majority of Americans are fat and lazy tell the folks at the Chicago and New York Marathons, and Wisconsin Iron Man, because I have had a hard time getting a slot due to how fast they fill up. Also let these people know:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.inc.com...

heres the proof you were asking for, theres much more out there but this should get you on the right track...

www.nationmaster.com...
www.reuters.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I think we shall see. But, there's really no need to revolt if we: 1) quit electing rich people to congress, 2) amend the constitution to make lobbying a crime of treason punishable by death, 3) amend the constitution to appoint a paid federal citizen review board (a fourth branch of government) of 5 random citizens from each state, age 35 and older, who can read and write English, who were born in the USA, who will have the power and authority to veto any act of congress, the president or any creation or interpretation of federal law by the judiciary on a vote of 75% (no power to create laws) and who will have the sole authority and responsibility to try, judge and sentence acts of treason and 4) restrain federal judges to the express limits of the constitution. Although probably unnecessary, I believe it would bolster citizens feelings of connectedness and value to society if we created a voluntary militia led by the head of the Sheriff's of each state. If anyone who can carry a gun and follow orders is allowed to join, the numbers would swell into the tens of millions because American's strongly desire to a part of their own protection plan.
edit on 1-1-2012 by banishedfromthisarea because: Detail following the first sentence is remedial.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

It is true.

Well said!

I can only add that Americans have been bribed with entitlements which has further strengthened it's (government) hold on the American psyche.

As long as Americans don't go hungry, government will have it's way with the freedoms and liberties that we used to hold so dear.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
As long as Americans don't go hungry, government will have it's way with the freedoms and liberties that we used to hold so dear.

Well see this is the thing. My point is that eventually they will start going hungry, en masse.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i know 1 thing for sure if and when push comes to shove we will all find out...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

I was classified as obese once..before I started running marathons. So what? I was 25 yo US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer 5'9" 195lbs at 8%bf Obese by body mass standards..the same crap they use for there statistics.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The Op uses the word "they" not "we" in his /herreferences to the USA populace, so one can only assume the oP is not an American or does not identify themselves with the people he is using the thread to denegrate..

So what is the point of this hread?

To try and spread the fanatical Islamist inspired revolutions in the Middle east?

To ridicule the tolerant American peoples?

In my humble opinion this is a lame attempt to raise the spectre of rioting.

link   

Originally posted by Never Despise
So you think the government will be able to provide cheetos and beer forever?

No, I'm just saying at this moment and in the immediate future Americans are not close to wanting a revolution. In time, if the government continues on the path its on, becoming more brazen each year.. I think a peaceful revolution will happen without a doubt.. however it's the governments reaction to the peaceful revolution that can either keep it peaceful, or make it violent.

I have a feeling though that the greedy and corrupt people and corporations in control of our government have too much power, money, and influence to allow their removal from government.

link   

Originally posted by Never Despise

Originally posted by beezzer

Well see this is the thing. My point is that eventually they will start going hungry, en masse.

When that happens then all bets are off.

It then stops being an "American" thing and starts being a human "thing".

One of the neatest provision in the US Constitution is the second Ammendment.

To paraphrase, is says that we have a "Get out of jail" card. For free. When the government starts acting up we have the authority to "bitch-slap" it back down.
Americans lose their entitlements?
Then the "fat and lazy" will lift themselves out of their Lay-Z-boys and start loading clips.

Caveat.
I honestly believe that is the wrong reason to do so.
It should have been done DECADES ago.
edit on 1-1-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

It is true.

I think you're absolutely right and we aren't there yet. I believe the coming of this new year brings that point as close as it's ever been. Certainly as close as it's been in my lifetime. The thing is, Americans have a habit of moving slowly to the point of action...but once there, it'll move very quickly for better or worse.

I don't think the time is too far off. The NDAA suggests the TPTB agree.

<<   2 >>

join