It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name earth like planets we could realistically visit!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hey guys im fascinated by other planets that may host life etc.

EDIT: forget galaxies as even in lightyears its millions of years but planets? maybe thats more realistic.

I thought id make a thread where people can list what planets we can realistically visit in our current life spans (ie be on the ship for 60/70 years)

Or once where it would take giving birth, and then the grandchildren will reach the planet..

you know something like that.

What is realisticly possible?
are there any earth like planets maybe 100 of our years away? if so that would be very realistic to get there
edit on 25-12-2011 by admiralmary because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
None

Our nearest galaxy which is Andromeda is 2.2 million light years away. So unless we discover Worm Holes and learn how to use them I don't see any way how we could visit another Galaxy. Even if we could travel at light speed, it would still take 2.2 million years to get there.

Good luck maintaining a speed of 299,000 MPS for 2.2 million years
edit on 12/25/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by admiralmary

We will not visit any planets outside our own Solar System in our life time , sad but there you go .

link   
Milky way.

that is all.

little perspective, Andromeda is 2.5 million LIGHT YEARS AWAY. that means it takes 2.5 million years to even get there at light speed.

we are not leaving our galaxy for 3-4 million years assuming we can stay alive that long and create the necessary tech.

link   
reply to post by muse7

^^^^ he's right. The nearest stars are still a couple LIGHT YEARS away. Thats already more than a life time.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Umm... Well... Not even close.

Not by a long shot.

I mean, to get to Mars it takes our spaceships about 6 months or so to get there.

And to get to our nearest star??? Let me put it this way - IF you could travel the speed of light (which is millions of times faster than the fastest we can currently travel), it would take over 4 years.

To travel to the closest star with our tech? Millions of years.

Maybe in a another lifetime, my friend.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Actually to get to the nearest star with our current technology would take around 76,000 years

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Seems unlikely.

Certainly, even the closest of galaxcies are millions upon millions of years away even at Light speed. ...and since we don't have the technology to move at even a decent percentage of that speed...

Even a close earth-like planet, with an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, should one ever be discovered outside the realm of sci-fi, will be many years away by generation ship. Multiple lifetimes would be required to reach even the closest.

A journey like that would require a leap of faith that I'm sometimes not sure humanity is capable of at this point.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

And that tech is?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Here is the future for space exploration, since rocket fuel sucks, and the human lifespan is too short

*Faster then light travel ( witch just been proven at LHC )

*Teleportation ( transfer of matter from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them )

*Bending time and space with new tech in the future

*Finding ancient stargates and making them work, perhaps reverse engenering

*Suspended animation (slowing of life processes by external means without termination. Breathing, heartbeat, and other involuntary functions may still occur, but they can only be detected by artificial means)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Zero, none, nada.

I think if you changed the question to 'Name stars we could realistically visit'...then maybe, but galaxies? man your way off.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
hi sorry i realise that galaxies arent realistic even at light speed

so what about planets?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by admiralmary
hi sorry i realise that galaxies arent realistic even at light speed

so what about planets?

only the planets in our solar system. the nearest stars might as well be in a different galaxy because it would still takes ten of thousands of years to get there.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

*Faster then light travel ( witch just been proven at LHC )

Not sure I remember seeing that in the various articles I've read, though admittedly I'm not a physicist in any shape, fashion, or form.

Do you have a link to that particular story? Or am I going to be force to utilize my, admittedly weak, google-fu?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
None

Our nearest galaxy which is Andromeda is 2.2 million light years away.

if thats the case then why doesnt anyone ever tell alex collier to ask his `andromedan friends` how they regularly travel all that distance just to speak to him??

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
How about Mars? It is Earth-like planet,at least according to NASA definitions of one. At least as far as i understand those definitions. And we should settle on Mars, it will solve lots of problems, while certainly creating lots of other problems. but this is what life is about.
We might see the start of this in several decades, unless someone pushes big red button.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You can visit these worlds with a little work..

Asiya
Yetzira
Beriya
Atzilut
Adam Kadmon

google google google..These planets are listed as the ones you will most likely visit first, from least to greatest. Asiya being greatest..

You dont have to travel through space/time to goto a new planet, all you really have to do is look within.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
How about Mars? It is Earth-like planet,at least according to NASA definitions of one. At least as far as i understand those definitions. And we should settle on Mars, it will solve lots of problems, while certainly creating lots of other problems. but this is what life is about.

ill give anything to bet that in the past mars was like a sister planet to earth, and there were frequent journeys maybe not wormhole and all that, but spacecraft journeys
and that the moon was like a stopping base.

you dont need a sci fi mind to believe it, it makes perfect sense that we had the technology in the past, and some kind of a flood or extinction wiped it out

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Saw it on here a while ago.

edit on 25/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In the name of being hopeful and optimistic, I want to throw out the fact that Humans are in the earliest infancy stages of exploration and we don't even know what we don't know about getting to another solar system, let alone galaxy. We are just now on the verge of having man made probes get a look on the OTHER side of a bubble which surrounds our solar system, and no one even knew was there until the Voyager Probes confirmed it's presence.

For all we know, there could be hundreds of lensing and distortion effects between here and Andromeda or even a place like Sirius, making it much much closer in travel than we can possibly know sitting safely inside our atmosphere and peering out, half in fear and half in wonder.

Voyager's were tin cans on a child's budget compared to what we could MASS PRODUCE and just start launching in every direction from Earth like the ultimate Johnny Appleseed tossing out the future. In 10-20 years...if we're all still around,...we should have game changing data to REALLY make some intelligent guesses....until then, lets think positive! It's all closer than it may seem.

edit on 25-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join